Survivalist Forum banner

Backpacking with a tactical pack?

24K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  AKpredator 
#1 ·
I am thinking of investing money into purchasing a backpack I can use for something like 4-7 day wilderness camping or extended hiking/backpacking. I've been looking at both tactical backpacks like the Camelbak BFM, Molle II, and Alice packs as well as traditional backpacking packs like you might find at REI. I have around $200 to invest and I've been drooling over the Camelbak BFM 500, but I'm afraid that because the Camelbak (and other tactical sacks) sticks out horizontally rather than distributing the weight vertically it would be in my best interest to purchase a traditional backpacking pack that is skinnier but taller, rather than the tactical ones which are shorter but fatter. I am worried that by the end of the trip I will have murdered my back.

Has anyone gone on extended backpacking trips with a short and fat tactical sack? Does it sit well on your back, or would I be wiser to purchase a traditional tall pack from a camping store (like REI, Cabelas) considering that I would be hiking for several days with it?

#2 ·
I don't think it makes much of a difference if a pack's wide or skinny, unless you're mountaineering, where a skinny pack would be more desireable.
I've used British army PLCE packs for most of my long backpacking trips as I find them more comfortable than the civi packs that I used before & they have very usefull detatchable side pockets, so it can be made slimmer if needs be.
Millitary packs are made wider so it can fit over webbing, so bear this in mind if you have a long back. But appart from that, I find them more comfortable, better value for money & a lot more durable, Although they do tend to be a bit heavy.

#4 ·
I'm afraid that because the Camelbak (and other tactical sacks) sticks out horizontally rather than distributing the weight vertically it would be in my best interest to purchase a traditional backpacking pack that is skinnier but taller, rather than the tactical ones which are shorter but fatter. I am worried that by the end of the trip I will have murdered my back.

Has anyone gone on extended backpacking trips with a short and fat tactical sack? Does it sit well on your back, or would I be wiser to purchase a traditional tall pack from a camping store (like REI, Cabelas) considering that I would be hiking for several days with it?
Personally I would get something that is a good compromise. I inherited several old-school backpacks that my dad bought, and the closest one to my size was clumsy, it stuck up really high, but more than that it was REALLY fat, didn't like the balance. So, I bought a North Face El Lobo. It was really skinny and tall. The problem is that it's hard getting fat stuff like a 4 season tent into a skinny backpack, plus with weight high up, I felt like it had alot of leverage and was top heavy. It didn't hug my back, felt like my tailbone was a pivot point to a flag pole or something. So at lunchtime I just traded it in on a Terra 60 pack... fatter than the El Lobo, not as tall or big, but feels just right.

All of these are similar size and shape, but small differences made a world of difference in how it felt and carried, and that's before I even left for an extended trip. Highly recommend trying them on yourself if possible.

#5 ·
That's pushing it. Daypacks (school bags) are not really backpacks. You need something that conforms and keeps your back straight.

I have been out for as long as 3 weeks with my Becker Patrol Pack. It's basically an alice Pack of much better construction, quality and comfort. You can strap things down to the top, bottom and front ; and you can put skis, rifles, fishing rods, walking sticks and other stuff in the side slip pockets.

I would get the larger one and the frame panel. 50-60 lbs would be my own limit unless I was packing game on the way out.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=704&cat=60&page=1

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=45&cat=60&page=1

#6 ·
Biggest difference is the volume. Those traditional packs are taller because they have quite a bit more volume than the Camelbak. You need to decide how much crap you need to carry first, otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges, because a traditional backpack from REI that had the same storage as the Camelbak wouldn't be nearly as tall as the ones you speak of.

A North Face Primero wouldn't be out of the question to use on a 7 day trip, and it's tall as you describe, and it only weighs 5 ounces more than the Camelbak... but it holds nearly twice as much gear, 70% larger. The cargo area is 5,200 instead of 3,100.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the responses and advice.

Yeah, I don't really know what exactly I will be doing or for how long yet, but I'm just trying to get a head start so I don't rush into a large purchase (at least by my standards) before being sure that what I buy is what I really want.

And I agree with trying on the pack before I buy it. The traditional packs are easy to find and try on but I'm not really sure where I can try on a specific tactical pack unless they just happen to have it at a local surplus store.

#15 ·
Yeah, I don't really know what exactly I will be doing or for how long yet
Then go to the local outdoors stores (plural) and try on a bunch of different internal pack frames. If you get a large one, larger than you'll wind up needing, no biggie as you'll be able to compress them down with the straps on the sides and top.
External frames i don't like as they depend upon the frame for support so if you drop if....gets ran over, etc. you're hosed. Plus, they're bulky, relatively speaking.

I don't know what a tactical pack is. Is it black/cammo? ;) Cost 2x as much for 1/4 of the quality/comfort as a civvie one? Some metrosexual guy w/his eyes blacked out model it in a gunmag?

I've had alice and north face interal packs on for thousands of miles, in wilderness, suburban and urban environs. North face internal was by far the best in every way possible.

Now I have a HD nylon "duluth pack" which I never use and a kelty daypack 3100. If I were gone for a while, I'd use the duluth due to flexibility. I used that for daytrips in the rockies in case I needed to also carry my woman's daypack (can stick it inside) when she got tired.

The 3100 is a gomer daypack, but it's what I need for daytripping.

#8 ·
When going on an extended trip in backcountry they recommend you take 1000 ci of backpack space for every day you'll be in the field, that's the general rule give or take a lil. School backpacks are not hiking backpacks and one of the huge benefits to the civi models of mountain packs are wilderness packs are the suspension system it uses for the distribution of weight and the size which tends to be 100% to 300% larger.

#11 ·
A good backpack (military or not) will distribute its weight onto your hips and not your shoulders. The shoulder straps are there for stability and adjustment.

With that said, I did a 10 mile hike once with an older ALICE with the metal frame. It was all good for the first 5 miles. That second 5 was miserable because the frame "dug" into my back rather than distributing the load. I spoke to my Nephew, who was at the time in the Marines and he said they usually removed the frame because they were mostly mechanized and just threw the pack in the transport.

I do have a tact 3 day pack that I use when hunting. I use it kind of the same way as my nephew said they used the ALICE packs, because while it does not have a frame, you carry the load with your shoulders. Its OK to walk from the truck to a hunting spot maybe a mile or 2 away with food water, etc. - but I would not want to do a serious hike with significant weight in the pack.

Other than that, the one thing I would like to see more on packs are the molle attachment loops. I find these very useful.

#13 ·
There is another thread here titled "Alice vs Molle" where a member used an Alice modified with more comfortable molle waist and shoulder straps as well as a poly frame for better durability. This with the addition of an "add-a-pouch" on each side seems like the ticket. I haven't done this myself yet but it's the direction I'm going to go next.

#14 ·
I like something that sits low but is tight to my back, with a waist strap of course. I actually just bought a pack I really like here in Afghanistan, at the hadji mart (or bazaar). Locally made but obviously based on some military packs, a mixture of more modern U.S. and Russian design.

#18 ·
I have an old Dana Designs pack that I really like...durable and comfortable(the alice/molle packs I've tried before don't compare with respect to comfort/convenience). I haven't looked at the Dana Designs models lately. Mine is a 2600 cu in model that is good for 3-4 days backpacking if you travel light and great for 1-2 day mountain climbs. I use my 5500 cu in Kelty for week long backpacking trips or packing out game. I'm thinking/dreaming about getting an Eberlestock Blue Widow that I was hoping would be kind of a jack of all trades pack. Small enough for 2-3 day bivy hunts from base camp and expandability allowing for packing game and gear out with fewer trips? (P.S. If anyone has tried the Eberlestock let me know how it is.)

#23 ·
Blackhawk is guilty of exporting America! Buy Eagle Industries. They are the original makers of the 3 Day Assault Pack and are still as good as they come and they are Made in America! Get the frame panel and you will be very comfortable.

Here is the pack and internal frame panel:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=44&cat=60&page=1
http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=128&cat=26&page=1

Here is where to get it. Might call and ask if they can offer the panel, pouches and compression sack into a package deal for you.

http://nctactical.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=57

#22 ·
I recently purchased a MOLLE II set on ebay. I plan to do some hiking with it but I already have decided my old Kelty Tioga is better suited for regular backpacking. The MOLLE seems to be designed for much more abusive use which makes it heavier and sacrifices some comfort. A more specialized design I guess. Maybe I should have looked to Blackhawk or a similar product. I will definately use the MOLLE for some things though. My tried and true hunting pack is a med camo ALICE with no frame just straps. I love the ALICE bag but the frame doesnt fit me worth a crap. I am considering doing something like the Hellcat mod. I love messing with my gear so I dont mind trying different configurations and combinations. Good luck with your search and happy packing. RZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.