Survivalist Forum banner

*Review!* Mossberg 702 Plinkster

141K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Old Dodge 
#1 ·
Two days ago I bought the cheapest semi-auto .22 on the market, the lowly Mossberg "Plinkster." A whopping $107 at the local Wally World, I opted for a $7 4X15 rimfire scope to top it off. So, I have $114+tax into it thus far.

After sending a couple hundred rounds down the barrel I've come to a few conclusions- First of all, it's a great value on a well engineered rimfire rifle, based on the Marlin 60 design, it's tried and true. Secondly, it's reasonably accurate, 2" groups at 75 yards after I got it sighted in, no issues with strays so far. It weighs nothing, much lighter than a 10/22, or even an old single shot. The action is pretty rough, but I think that it will smooth out over time and use, as even now I've noticed the components show some polishing of the rougher machined parts, a little bit of gun oil and a few more trips to the range and she ought to be silky smooth.

So, I give this little Plinkster :thumb: :thumb: for price/quality. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a cheap and effective plinking gun.

Edit: Mossberg offers a 25 round magazine, but is out of stock at this time, the magazine is similar to the magazine for their tactical .22 in looks, although the fake plastic cover extends further up the magazine, giving the 702 the "look" of a larger caliber firearm, cost for this magazine is $29.99

See less See more
#4 ·
They are good little .22's. I had one for a long time. I ended up giving it to my son, but I really liked it. Mine was the same rifle but made under the Magtech (?) name. They sold the rights to Mossberg.

#6 ·
Love the 702

I have both the 702 Plinkster and the 715 Tactical (a dressed up 702)
Both are RELIABLE, and a BLAST....

The 715 is CHEESEY, a clamshell around the 702 parts. It doesn't rise to the level of the M&P-15, but it's half the price....and a BLAST...

Bought the 702 at Wal-Mart for $106

The 715 was alot more, $240

#9 ·
A little over a year ago my Daughter says she want to buy her own rifle!

So, she gathered up all her change and went to walmart and I bought her a 702 plinkster with an extra mag. She is a great shot with it and it has been very reliable.

It is a great little gun that I would recommend to anyone and wouldn't mind picking up another one for myself.

Randy

#10 ·
In a weak moment I picked up the 715T tactical...never could get the nerve to take it to the range...

I ordered a camo 702 stock from Mossberg and the proper take down screws...the 715 dropped in no problem, although it doesn't have open sights...added a Simmons 4x32 and ended up with a smooth firing tack driver at 50 yards that eats all the cheap ammo I can feed it and askes for more...and it's light er by far than my 10/22...

#13 ·
Let's just say that I just returned a 715 to it's owner.
It couldn't make it more than 3 rounds without locking open on it's own.

What happened was the bolt handle and it's mated notch in the receiver had become damaged through normal use.

The notch swaged out and the bolt handle would catch in it and lock open on it's own.

I have another 702 in the shop for a new barrel, it got ringed.

For the money, save a few extra dollars and get the Marlin 60.

Btw, CBC makes the rifles for Mossberg.

#16 ·
I picked up a plinster for $129 - have put 200 rounds through it so far - I had one jam from an odd ball spent casing that got hung up.

Havent cleaned it yet - any advice on that? Tips or tricks?

Seems like a great rifle so far - very light, accurate enough with iron sites so far. Out of the box it was shooting very low, might have been how I was lining up the sights. Will take it small game hunting next year.

#18 ·
A friend of mine bought one but lost the magazine. He couldn't find a replacement and was told it was crap anyway so he gave it to me. I ordered a magazine and the darn thing wouldn't fire twice in a row. Took the mag apart, smoothed the sides and coated with a very thin coat of gun oil. The kids shoot it all the time with never another hitch. For $20 it's not bad but my Rugers are still my go to .22LR.

#23 ·
Well there seemed to be more positive reviews than negative ones so today while in the Walmart up here in the Virginia mountains with a ruger 10/22 in one hand and the little plink steer in the other, I went with the mossberg for $112.00 over the Ruger at $240. This is in no means any type of a survival rifle and have no intent to do anything to it expect put the scope I bough for it on. I'll pick up a couple of more mags for it. Just wanted something to go with the marlin and 2 22 pistols. Got over 4000 rounds so what the heck.

Reactions: Ricekila
#24 ·
I got a 702 plinkster for my fiancee about a year and a half ago. We've only put about 400 rounds through it but it has NEVER jammed or had any FTF issues. Very accurate with the stock sights. Overall, It's a great gun for the price.

Also the butt stock is hollow and it's easy to take the pad off with a phillips screwdrivers... Great place to store some extra ammo.

My only complaint is that it is quite a hassle to strip the gun and get it back together.

#27 ·
I collect .22's rifles, I have a Plinkster from about 10 years ago. Shoots great, ergonomics are great for smaller shooters, trigger is gritty but consistent. No, I'm not going to polish the trigger, it's works fine.

I don't understand the "It's hard to field strip" comments.

You unscrew two screws and remove the stock, pull the barreled action out, pop two pins to drop the FCG, and slide the bolt out.

Is there any semi .22 that's easier? Seriously?

And...you don't really "field strip" .22s. You run a pull through down the barrel, shoot some lube in the action, and shoot some more.

If you need to do more you do what we non-tactical old folks call "take it apart" or disassemble it.;)

#28 ·
Got one a couple years ago at Wally's. My son pounded almost 1k rounds through it over the July 4 holiday weekend that year. The only issue it had was that subsonic rounds didn't have enough energy to fully cycle the action, caused some FTEs. Its a lightweight, accurate little shooter. I'm considering getting another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.