Survivalist Forum banner

17 hornet?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gunboyjay 
#1 ·
Anyone gave this one a try yet? Looking for something to fill the place of my 204 that i sold my shots are usually no farther than 300yds an looking at the cost an all of this new round its become a choice for me im not to much on the savage rifle im hopeing ruger will come out with one but im looking for any input i can get. thanks

#3 ·
We built one up in 17 Fireball just for kicks. Shot it for a month or so before rebareling it back to .221 Fireball. It does seem though that the .17 Hornet might be fun to play with especially in a single shot like the Ruger # 1 or #3.
I don't know though. For varminting, I really think that inside of 300 yds the .223 is all the gun I need and very easy to get brass. Outside that we have been using a 6mmBR and way out the .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmore.

#4 ·
In our own actual tests with a 17/221 (YEARS BEFORE REM EVER BUILT THE FIRST ONE!) we found that .17's suffer less wind drift than say a Swift at the same velocity. Bullet weight has not crap to do with it. It is all about time of flight and SURFACE AREA of the projectile. Try getting out and doing it yourself! That old 17 vs the wind myth has been around since the first one was ever built. We've been building custom .17's for about 20 years and have no trouble with wind drift. A .17 Hornet won't drift as much as a standard 22 Hornet as long as you keep the velocity up. But don't take my word for it, try it and see.

#5 ·
My post seems a little smart assed :) Not intended that way, but really, try this yourself and see the results. You'll be surprised!

#7 ·
Yea I've shot 17hmr an have herd all the bs about wind drift lol I thank ima invest in a 17 hornet after I see some more rifles come on the market an if I get the dies for it to reload its seams like it will b cheap to reload. An no u didn't come off like a smart ass haha I need input from guys like u that have delt with these type bullets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.