Survivalist Forum banner

My most versatile prep

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  DElmer 
#1 ·
In an attempt to contribute something to this great forum, I wanted to share my thoughts on an item that is priceless to me. As a union plasterer, I use tie wire on a regular basis, both in the field and at home. I'm not talking about the rolls you buy at hardware stores, but the straightened pieces about 16"long (I'll try to post a pic at the bottom). Forget paracord, forget duct tape. To me, this stuff is invaluable because of its strenght and versatility. If you don't have some, get some! Can be used for anything. I will list some of the things that I have used it for. Any others please chime in.
1. Incredible strength. We secure our scaffolding with it and use it to pull up hundreds of lbs with it. If you fold the strand in half the strength doubles. Twist 3 or 4 strands together and you can make a makeshift rope/loop. Twist with pliers to tighten, cut to desired length with snips.
2. In survival settings it works great for snares, shelters, fishing lines and hooks, trip wire,etc. I have made/rigged improvised tools in the field with it.
3. Great for shoelaces and belts. I know it sounds dumb, but anyone who has had the inconvienence of breaking a lace can appreciate.
4. My kids love it. I have many times been bored and found entertainment shaping pieces/tying them together to make sculptures. Its amazing what some of the "old timers" at work can craft with these metal strands.
Just figured I would throw it out there. It might not be for everyone; take it for what its worth. Really amazing, strong, versatile stuff though. I feel like I can do anything with a couple strands of tie wire. Like I said, if you don't have some, GET SOME!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I'll ask my boss where we get it from. I tried looking online as well for a link to order some, but had no luck. Each box has thousands and thousands of 16" strands. I perfer the strands because they're easy to bundle together and short enough to use whenever. No snips or cutting tool required; ready to go. I am the butt of many jokes with friends and family lol

#6 ·
Known to me as bailing wire. My grandpa was a rancher and he saved every strand off every bail. Most old ranchers stuff is held together by it. They went to twine years ago for bailing, so I just buy it by the roll now. I have even used it as welding filler with an oxy/acetylene set up in a pinch. I have a roll in every vehicle, and any place tools congregate usually.

I know concrete guys are using the boxes of short pieces now too. they come with a loop on one or both ends and they have a tool that will twist them together in a jiffy.

Googled rebar ties and found them

#10 ·
Tie wire is great. I'm a retired union electrician and I know exactly what you mean. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've tied off something with my kleins. Copper although not quite as strong is very useful too. I have lots of #12 and #10 solid copper (and stranded) wire stockpiled.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.