Survivalist Forum banner

The versatile .22

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Maccool 
#1 ·
The .22 is arguably the most versatile caliber out there, with confirmed kills on game ranging from squirrels to moose (though the large game taken with this round have been rare instances performed by excellent marksman.)

Part of the versatility of the round comes from the broad range of .22 ammo in production.

Is there a rifle out there that will fire all .22 ammo ranging all the way from "short" to "magnum"?
If not, are there any that will accomodate both .22 lr and .22 mag?

I figure that if such a gun exists, it's probably a bolt action due to the large difference in round length and the difficulty of feeding those rounds with the same mechanism. It might be possible with a tube fed magazine, especially if the gun is lever action.

That's all good in theory, but I've never seen such a gun. So back to my original question, does a gun like this exist?

#2 ·
Magnums have a larger diameter chamber, so the shorts and LRs won't work in those guns. LR and magnum are simply not compatible. There are revolvers that come with both cylinders though. You can use short, long and LR in the LR cylinder.

There are many guns that'll handle short, long and LR though. Many bolt, pump or lever actions will. Semiautos of course won't function with the lower powered rounds. You can use short and long in any LR revolver also.

#3 ·
Thank you very much for the info. I didnt know that magnums had a larger diameter as well as length.

As a follow up question on a simmilar topic, What are the advantages of lever action rifles? (other than they're "cool")
Bolt actions tend to be more accurate than semi's because they hold the round more securely. Is lever action somewhere in between?

#7 ·
Lever actions are quicker to shoot with than bolt actions. Afterall, they were the "assault rifles" of their day. They might not be quite as accurate as a bolt action, but many of them are more than accurate enough.

The real downside, in my opinion, is the complexity. Lever actions are just a complex machine. That makes them harder to maintain and repair, and more prone to malfunction. A bolt action is dead simple. It's easy to keep clean and easy to repair.

Since we're talking .22s here, I don't see the slightly quicker shooting ability of the lever action as much of a selling point, myself. In a survival situation, I'd opt for the bolt.

#4 ·
If I had to survive with just one caliber a 22 LR would be top choice if food was the main goal. I study survival stories and hunger is indeed the real enemy. The varity of ammo is extensive however after years of using the 22 I am starting to believe the standard 22 lr 40 grain round nose solid is about as good as it gets. On small game it does little damage to eatible meat and on bigger game it gives the maximum penatration. While I know what I am about to say will stir a contraversy but I ask those who read it to think about it before replying. I believe it CAN a very humane big game cartrige when used properly. When hunting big game a neck shot or head shot at close range will either kill instantly or only slighly wound to let live a full life with little suffering. Shoot an elk in the head or neck with a 30-06 and the wound isnt instantly fatal, then the animal will escape to suffer from a gastly wound or starvation. The same misplaced shot from a 22 solid will leave virtually no destroyed meat and should heal up with few if any distress. When I was a deer and elk guide the only gun I could legally carry was a 22 handgun and I used it to finish off many elk and deer with excellent results. When I shot and missed the kill area they didnt even flinch or blink. When I hit the vital brain or neck the dropped like rocks.

#5 ·
The Marlin 981TS bolt action will fire all of those rounds (aside from the Magnum of course) and it has the advantage of bieng a repeater. Since it has a tube fed magazine it also has the capacity of a lever action. And you can get it in stainless/synthetic for durability. It could be the best survival .22 out there...

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/981TS.asp

#6 ·
If you want to to be able to shoot short, long & long rifle from the same gun the only option available to you is via a tube feed--under barrel like on a Marlin 39A or the numerous bolt actions or to a stock feed on the Browning SAR.

Concentrate only on LR and a clip fed bolt action is the most accurate--that's a mag to you Yanks.

FYI -- elephants have also been killed with a .22 LR.

I will repeat again and again, beyond 50 yds it is not a hunting rifle of anything larger then a Jackrabbit.

#10 · (Edited)
Bolt guns are more accurate for two reasons. They do not shave or damage the soft lead bullet en chambering. With any rifle, particuarly semi autos, ler guns, and soft lead rimfires; check chambered round every now and then for damage to the projecticle. Usually the bolt hitting the lead.

The optimal food only one gun survival firearm can be the .223 bolt action rifle. It can be handload down to work with small game, or a cartirdge adapter cane used to fire rimfire rounds. Big game can be hunted ethically under 150 yards with soft point bullets. A good placed shot is needed. I hunt while walking, so I used bigger calibers. One is acually a dngerous game rifle usd for alaskn bears. If the shot end up in a bad place, it drops. It's a slow cartridge, so theis no huge bruise.

If you do not reload, then a 22 magnum bolt gun is great. More power to really push the limits of what can be done with a rimfire. Chamber adapters available to make them handle 22lr. I could see some mowdels still being a repeater when loaded with 22lr too.

If hunting from the rural home. I like the rifle / shotgun combos. I can hit smal game and flying birds out to 30-35 yards with the 20 gauge. With my .30-30 barrel zeroed at 100 yards I can still hit an accurate small game shot and ethicaly hunt deer and coyote.

The only flaw in this thinking, is it's poor or defense. Every successful primitive culture used traps more than hunting. Instead of the 22lr rifle on foot, I go with fishing hooks and a few claw traps in the back of the truck.

For the rifle that does it all on foot, it could be either my 30-30 or SKS. I'd be fine with either. Large game and defense, and the traps do small game. If by truck a 22lr will come with me.

I have went through several 22lr rifles before I found the one as he family standard. It'se marlin 981T with scopes. Be advised, this gun has iron sights, but the comb is so high on e stock; it's really hard to shoot it with iron sights. IF I was out of scopes but not 22lr, I would file away the comb and it would work fine. I stuffed my shoulder of my shirt with a towel when zeroing the sights. This wayI can get my cheek down into the view of the sights by havithe gun about 3" forward of me.

Purchase a spare extrator for the rifle and be preparto put a better trigger on it. Savage mark II is another option that has a good trigger on it. Some mark II' have iron sights. Avoid the bull barrel. They're not needed for most hunting rifles. Sometimes the extra weight helps with very long shots with high recoil firearms. 22lr or .223 with 20" barrels are not in this category.

The main homestead combo will be a SKS and 22lr nearby while doing chores. IF troble or pout luck comes by, pick the right thing.

Atleast 80% of the US terrain is populated. You have to get real far away from dodge to not worry about defense.

#11 ·
neat thought

.22 short, long, or long rifle can be used safely in a 22 mag bolt or pump as a single shotor .22 mag revolver. The way to do it SAFELY is to cut the bottom and rim off of .22mag emptys. Then twist by hand a #1 wire gauge drill bit through it. After this you can slick them up with a .22 cal cleaning brush..insert .22 load inside, place in chamber an yer ready to fire..The extractor may bring both out and it may not..Mine usually pulls both out of the chamber and I have to push the empty .22 hulls outa the liner..:thumb:

#15 ·
I got a call from my ex bro in law about a deer that he found and said it looks like it was hit by a car so I swing by there and I gut it out and sure enough there is a tiny hole through the heart ,and in the rib cage I look and see the entry hole and the bullet is on the off side just under the skin . I cut it out and it was a 22 cal bullet, don't know if it was a mag or lr though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.