bath tub water bladders - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping in a big city apartment - Priorities? 82Blazer Urban Survival 52 06-09-2017 10:59 PM
Well drilling fnrockstar22 DIY - Do It Yourself 9 05-30-2017 09:53 AM
Shelter in place kit? Buck91 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 05-21-2017 07:01 PM
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 16 05-05-2017 02:54 AM

Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,711 Times in 5,720 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
These kind of jugs always leak or get a hole. I use to use them alot before i found another brand. People tend to love the aquatainers from walmart. The valve and cap really turned me off to them. I only buy the LCI brand ones now. You can drop these full on there lid and nothing will happen, even a guy that froze one and it still is water tight. Yes they cost more but you will never need to spend the money again.

http://buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx?...&ItemID=906396
He was asking about a collapsible option, which is why I linked the containers I did. Mine have never leaked with several uses and neither have my Aquatainers. They collapsible ones certainly will eventually leak and are not a permanent storage solution IMO, especially if they are used and compressed often.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 35,650 Times in 13,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
Just a couple of quick questions about the water barrels you guys are suggesting:

How do you fill them up? I do not think a hose would be the way to do it because hoses leech BHP.

Supposing one did use a hose or had contamination of some sort like algae, would you be able to treat the water in your barrels the same way you would treat raw water from a lake?
Drinking water hose: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22853-P.../dp/B004RNR9QY

A bit of chlorine should solve your algae problem. The CDC has guidelines for adding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
For now, I rotate water every 6 months by dumping the barrels into the horse trough. I am trying to decide if using preservative is economical in my situation.
In a sanitized container that you can fully seal and are careful not to contaminate at filling time, and if kept out of direct sunlight and use the prescribed amount of chlorine as recommended by the CDC, then your stored water is timeless. An unlimited shelf life as long as the container maintains its barrier protection.

It's a bit of careful preparatory work, careful procedures, and picking the right location but you can seal up water for decades if needed.

Rotation is easier on the front end but refilling often runs a greater risk of a contamination. Then you are dealing with the roll of the dice that the day the disaster starts this last filling was the time you got sloppy.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,552 Times in 3,802 Posts

We have two (2) 275 gallon stacked in our garage.
(check your local craigslist for food grade ones)

Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,552 Times in 612 Posts

(1) Get a good filtration unit (like a Big Berkey) as that will take a lot of pressure off your storage by making any clear water useful.

(2) Then, if you have the chance, you don't need a waterbag for the tub - just fill the tub (a quick wash to get rid of any soap residue and then just let it fill).

(3) Likewise, rather than purchase, you can use any expedients for this "water of convenience" acquired before the grid goes down or the genny goes dry. Every cup, bowl, pot, etc you own can be filled and be directly palatable. Every aquarium, rubbermade tote full of blankets and Christmas ornaments, buckets, trashcans (inside and outside ones), kiddie pools, air mattresses, etc that you fill is water on hand (once you filter it).

(4) Legitimate water storage is great, but expedient should not be overlooked even when you have great storage - too much is impossible.

(5) No amount of water storage can ever replace the ability to gather and purify more water. For some, this is super easy with a 12 month water source nearby. For others, large water storage is a necessity to deal with only sporadic seasonal rainfall.

(6) Also consider the water use. You can stockpile irrigation, washing, and toilet flushing water in 2 liters bottles or other sources that you would not want to use for long term water storage.

(7) With good filtration, the easiest way to have massive water storage it to put in a water feature - a koi pond, pool, hot tube, etc (use chlorine based pool chemicals for greater ease, as chlorine quickly evaporates out). This gets you lots of water on property without your neighbors being wiser or your wife being wrathful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oakspar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakspar View Post
advice list
That list basically covered the concept that you really don't need to plan ahead. Just grab everything you can at the last moment and fill it. Personally, I've never seen a tub that doesn't empty in a day or so with the drain closed. Grabbing all the extra open containers you can means evaporation and sublimation loss, plus exposure to airborne algae spores.

Expediency is to make up for loss of preparation supplies or lack of preparation. The former is understandable but the latter isn't. Why wait for the need for expediency? Get prepared now by obtaining enough quality storage.

Your average Aussie might buy a home and shrug at the lack of a garage, but tell him there is no 5000 liter water storage tank on the lot and he'll tell you the house isn't completed yet.

American's have had the luxury of urban water grids for so many generations they don't realize that a lot of the world would not consider having so little water stored. If you don't have well prepped storage for hundreds of gallons then you have this prepping idea all wrong. Before you store away your first can of beans or your first extra box of ammo you should be getting secure container storage for several hundred gallons of water.

Berkey? Because Chinese voodoo science filtration really says you did your homework on quality filtration......

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,067 Times in 409 Posts

My primary issue is no place to store water long term hence the need for bladders. In the past I have used 55 gallon totes filled with water pre-storm. But the issues listed with the totes are duelly and wisely noted.

Food, no problem. Other supplies, also no problem. Water......sweet jesus it is the biggest problem I have. I had contemplated a black plastic below grade cistern. But too many busy bodies around waiting to call the county if I ever tried to bury one. Cost is another factor, yes.

I have a friend that works for the county water system. He told me the system only needs a minor snafu and the system will be down. And that is pre- SHTF.

Oh, the tub drain can be sealed with duct tape over the stopper. Had to do that before. And boy do I have a lot of duct tape. That will keep it from draining.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tusken Raider For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusken Raider View Post
I had contemplated a black plastic below grade cistern. But too many busy bodies around waiting to call the county if I ever tried to bury one.
Is a cistern illegal? That seems quite rare. If not illegal then just go get a permit. Then when the neighbors try to burn you then just shove your permit in their face.

If cisterns are illegal then just build a cheap garden shed with some extra room for 55gal drums.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,200 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
We have two (2) 275 gallon stacked in our garage.
(check your local craigslist for food grade ones)

I have used these for storing water.
One way to keep the water clean is to hang a UV water sterilizer in the tank.
https://www.todayshealthyhome.com/ta...m#.WU30YlGQzIU
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Those uv units are prety expensive. That being said i have a UV light on my domestic well water. You need to filter it prety good so particles dont shade areas of the water path. I dont think that light will work in a 4ft wide water cube. You can how ever hook a normal domestic water UV light to the output on the tank snd gravety feed clean water out..or just fill it with UV shocked water.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,067 Times in 409 Posts

Maryland is weird, and sometimes the counties are worse. I had plans for putting in new sheds. But with a possible divorce looming, I don't want to put a lot of money into the house and yard.

That is why the bladder appeals to me. But, I will need to build something temporary. I have one other obstacle. I have about 12 feet of level ground out back, after that it is a semi steep hill going down. I have 50% less usable yard than some of the neighbors.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,552 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
That list basically covered the concept that you really don't need to plan ahead. Just grab everything you can at the last moment and fill it. Personally, I've never seen a tub that doesn't empty in a day or so with the drain closed. Grabbing all the extra open containers you can means evaporation and sublimation loss, plus exposure to airborne algae spores.

Expediency is to make up for loss of preparation supplies or lack of preparation. The former is understandable but the latter isn't. Why wait for the need for expediency? Get prepared now by obtaining enough quality storage.

Your average Aussie might buy a home and shrug at the lack of a garage, but tell him there is no 5000 liter water storage tank on the lot and he'll tell you the house isn't completed yet.

American's have had the luxury of urban water grids for so many generations they don't realize that a lot of the world would not consider having so little water stored. If you don't have well prepped storage for hundreds of gallons then you have this prepping idea all wrong. Before you store away your first can of beans or your first extra box of ammo you should be getting secure container storage for several hundred gallons of water.

Berkey? Because Chinese voodoo science filtration really says you did your homework on quality filtration......
(1) You must have lived in some sorry trap houses if you have never lived some place where the tub would not hold water indefinitely. A rubber stopper, seal on the stop, or seal on the valve will hold water for ages unless it is old, nasty, and cracked. Change it out already.

(2) Planning and expediency are not mutually exclusive concepts, as I clearly stated in the post you skimmed rather than reading.

(3) Evaporation and sublimation on EXTRA water gained through expediency is ridiculous. If it takes your bonus 150 gallons down to 140 gallons it is still 140 gallons you didn't have before. It is like not answering the extra credit questions just because you only know 4 of the 5 and won't get all the extra credit points.

(4) You know what is better than your 1,321 gallon storage tank down in Oz? A 1,321 gallon storage tank with a few hundreds extra due to expediency.

(5) I'm not sure why you are hating on water filtration units. Maybe you are just terminally a tool and have to be rude to everything. If so, you have my pity. Filtration units work and have worked for ages. I mentioned Berkey because it is what I have/use and the most recognized brand in the market (but by far not the only choice).

For those of us who are smart enough to not live in deserts, the presence of water is less of an issue than potability, and I happen to prefer filtration to boiling or chlorine/iodine.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:17 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakspar View Post
You must have lived in some sorry trap houses if you have never lived some place where the tub would not hold water indefinitely. A rubber stopper, seal on the stop, or seal on the valve will hold water for ages unless it is old, nasty, and cracked. Change it out already.
The gate valve on most lever activated tub stoppers is on a metal to metal seal and not perfectly water tight. Most of us have a perforated metal screen at the actual drain hole because the stopper is inside the pipe. There is no place to put in a rubber stopper with a friction fit and you can't get a rubber overlay of the screen to stay without a good enough water draw.

Frankly, the only ones that do what you say are the old style tubs that came with rubber stoppers, or if someone chose to destro their drain screen and allow all that hair down the drain. Sounds more like you are the one who hasn't updated your tub in ages.

Quote:
Evaporation and sublimation on EXTRA water gained through expediency is ridiculous. If it takes your bonus 150 gallons down to 140 gallons it is still 140 gallons you didn't have before. It is like not answering the extra credit questions just because you only know 4 of the 5 and won't get all the extra credit points.

You know what is better than your 1,321 gallon storage tank down in Oz? A 1,321 gallon storage tank with a few hundreds extra due to expediency.
Your tub would require a LOT of cleaning to be clean enough for long term water storage. All that time spent just before an emergency cleaning and filling tubs and sinks when you could be doing the million other useful pre-emergency jobs. With a good water storage system in place I can make sure the house is battened down, animals are secured, last minute store trips are run, and family is called in or coordinated with. Waiting for water to run in sinks and tubs is a time waster.

Plus you lose the use of those sinks and tubs. A tub is likely the safest weather shelter in your home and sinks get used many times a day. Filling them all up with water leaves you having to wash up in the toilet.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you are hating on water filtration units. Maybe you are just terminally a tool and have to be rude to everything. If so, you have my pity. Filtration units work and have worked for ages. I mentioned Berkey because it is what I have/use and the most recognized brand in the market (but by far not the only choice).

For those of us who are smart enough to not live in deserts, the presence of water is less of an issue than potability, and I happen to prefer filtration to boiling or chlorine/iodine.
Speaking of skimming and not getting the message......

Show me where I said I have a problem with water filtration units in general. I give advice here on using them all the time.

What I said was that you bought a cheap ass Chinese made Berkey instead of any one of the dozen or so good respectable brands of water filter units out there. You seem to think I'm complaining about a class of products. No, I'm saying you screwed up when you came home driving a Dodge, proudly displayed your Hi-Point at the range, or offered Old Milwaukee beer at the cookout.

All you did was rationalize using old tubs, cheap filtration units, and wasting precious time just before an emergency.