Survivalist Forum banner

A Beginner's Kit Giveaway..."YOUNG ADULTS ONLY"

10K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  SirThrivalist 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got this idea from my previous giveaway. :D:

I'm glad that someone got the kit (yes guys, it was delivered already) in my previous giveaway, but I
felt this strong pull to make one for a young survivalist who had limited funds and who could use a kit.

I'd like to invite all my friends here to chip in a bit for the kit. I'm pretty much tapped out as far as gear
goes, but I'm going to supply a few items myself. I just can't put together a substantial kit.

I found a really fun way to do this too. I planned on everybody sending the kit pieces then I'd put them
together and ship them to the winner, but I know how much fun it is to get stuff in the mail, so what
I'll do is act as an in-between guy and you can all send your contributions to the winner directly. I'll have
their address and will give out it to those who want to send something, but you must go on the record as
someone who's going to contribute something on the thread.

Okay, for those of you who want to participate in the actual Giveaway, you must be the following:
* no older than 18 years old
* you can't be rich or even remotely well off
* you must be willing to share your experiences with the kit once
. you get it (take pictures, share stories of you using it, etc...)
* you need to submit a post telling us why you want to learn wilderness survival and what
...got you into it, telling us a little about your region, who do you look up to and why, etc...

All I ask (as I'm sure those contributing would ask) is that you use the kit and that you share your
knowledge with someone less fortunate than you as you grow out of the kit passing on the bits giving
them more useful life in someone else's hands. I've received gifts from other members here when I
did my little giveaway the first time and I sent them a little something and it's with that spirit of
giving that I'd like to do this particular giveaway. There's not going to be a "winner" and a "loser" here,
there's going to be a draw once the qualified participants are decided on. I don't want anyone to feel
that they weren't chosen for a reason, fate is deciding this, not me.

With that, I'll be back with what I'm willing to contribute to the kit. Guys (and Ladies!),
I'm thinking the 10C's to start out with, especially a pack, some kind of shelter material even
if it's just a pair of 3 mil bags, some fishing bits, etc... similar to how my first giveaway kit was
put together. I'll keep tabs of the submissions. By the way, becaue of the generosity of this group
that I know firsthand and well, I suggest we give the redundancy items to runner-ups. I'd love to
see everyone that needs a bit get one. I've learned a few things and hope I can do a better job with
this giveaway.

Original giveaway kit list for suggestions: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=279436

For those of you who are going to contribute something to the kit, feel free to "own" this giveaway
as much as I do. Make suggestions, let me know how we can make this work better, etc...Thanks!

Well, that's it. I'll be back later with my submissions. Feel free to start without me if you'd like.
Post what you can contribute and put that piece of kit that's not getting any use back to work
and for you participants, you get to work on your submission post and tell us about yourself.

Good luck!

:thumb:

ST

MOD EDIT
TWEAKED TITLE​

See less See more
#2 ·
I have lots of pieces of kit that I'd love to donate...

....If I knew it was going to get used.

The problem is, I'm going to send kit to some young kid who has Daniel Boone fantasies about living in the woods, and who will go out into the woods for one overnighter before he decides that mud butt, bug bites, and poison ivy aren't nearly as fun as staying home, and my kit (that I'm not using now, but may give to MY children some day) will get stuffed into the back of his closet until it's time for the garage sale.

I've donated twice to younger people in real life, only to have the aformentioned come to pass.

I'm all about facilitating the younger generation to learn the majesty of exploration through a healthy respect they've cultivated for our nations national resources, but, in my experience, this experiment you've outlined has a %100 failure rate. And that's in real life. God only knows what kind of impulsive and neurotic teenagers lurk exclusively on the internet.

I think you've got great intentions, dood, but I think you've got the wrong idea. :(

#5 ·
I have lots of pieces of kit that I'd love to donate...

....If I knew it was going to get used.

The problem is, I'm going to send kit to some young kid who has Daniel Boone fantasies about living in the woods, and who will go out into the woods for one overnighter before he decides that mud butt, bug bites, and poison ivy aren't nearly as fun as staying home, and my kit (that I'm not using now, but may give to MY children some day) will get stuffed into the back of his closet until it's time for the garage sale.

I've donated twice to younger people in real life, only to have the aformentioned come to pass.

I'm all about facilitating the younger generation to learn the majesty of exploration through a healthy respect they've cultivated for our nations national resources, but, in my experience, this experiment you've outlined has a %100 failure rate. And that's in real life. God only knows what kind of impulsive and neurotic teenagers lurk exclusively on the internet.

I think you've got great intentions, dood, but I think you've got the wrong idea.
You can always donate to a poor Israeli guy that has a beautiful sad little girl... She is sad because her daddy can't afford to buy her food... He spent all his money on his new Bahco laplander and other shiny sharp things.

I am joking.. my girl is fed well. :) but I can use some gear and god will be my witness... it will be used!

#6 ·
Money is tight atm, but I'll still help. I think this is a great way to support our youth members, who I suspect arrive a little shell shocked. My contribution will be an emergency fishing kit.

I nominate Aeam to be one of the eligible contenders. I value his posts and his level head. He's just the type of guy to put such items to good use.

Let's start working on this concept people. I think the idea is brilliant, a great way to support our online community. Even if the gear simply provides a youngun with a reality check so they prep better, we'll have done something good.

I can put a good fishing kit together for $5, and I'll post pics to prove it. For most of us, a gift of that amount won't hurt a bit, of course if it will (there were times when my every dollar counted) then no worries... share wisdom instead!

#9 ·
That's excellent! Not only can we help some kid out (or a several), but you can also showcase
something you've made. A learning/sharing/giving experience. I look forward to it. Thanks.
BTW, money is tight for me too. I'm as broke as a joke right now. That's why I specified that
the recipient can't be someone who's got a trust fund or who can outrightly go out and just buy
gear. I'd really like to help someone who'd be out there doing stuff if they weren't so limited.

I won't dare ask anyone to submit anything expensive and in fact, if we submit entry-level bits
this will give room for the recipient to learn with what he's got then upgrade from there, again,
hopefully passing on in the spirit that this giveaway is created in, whatever he's not going to use.

:)

#10 ·
Wow. That's awesome! Thanks.
Folks, it's early in the thread. I have a feeling this thing is going to snowball. If I miss thanking you,
forgive me. I'm sure there'll be a ton of posts. But I'll read every posts and remember, this isn't only
my doing, but it's the doing of everyone that contributes.

Reactions: Gnut
#11 ·
Ok, I like the idea and want to give something to the place that gave me so much knowledge!
I will donate my survival kit... I didn't used it for too much time so apparently I don't really need it.
Will look for it and post pictures.

The question is, where do we find an appropriate candidate for this?? I really want it to get to good hands and not some fat a$$ arm chair bear grylls.

#14 ·
In the past our members on our Aussie forum simply would give stuff to other members boys, at real life meets. We would also obviously swap gear and other things, and still do to this day.
Perhaps Survivalist Boards should start holding State meet-up's etc for some serious networking?

The Internet is limited in my opinion. Real life is what it's all about.:thumb:

#15 ·
In the past our members on our Aussie forum simply would give stuff to other members boys, at real life meets. We would also obviously swap gear and other things, and still do to this day.
Perhaps Survivalist Boards should start holding State meet-up's etc for some serious networking?

The Internet is limited in my opinion. Real life is what it's all about.
I guess I will meet with myself :(... again... I am so lonely :'(

#17 ·
Ok here is my give away kit:

Black box
Rubber band
Trash bag
Wire saw
Scalpel blade (sterilization expired)
Orange All-Surface pencil
Brown&OD green cordage
Fishing line
3x Three headed hooks
2x Candies
Keychain LED light
Whistle
8xNails
35mm waterproof match canister
Old pocket knife
A few Memo size papers
Watertight zip bag
Bandage
2x Small zip ties
4x Plasters
Small vial of WD40 Spray
Firesteel

Nothing fancy, but an experienced person can find use for it in emergency.

Attachments

#24 ·
Ok here is my give away kit:

Black box
Rubber band
Trash bag
Wire saw
Scalpel blade (sterilization expired)
Orange All-Surface pencil
Brown&OD green cordage
Fishing line
3x Three headed hooks
2x Candies
Keychain LED light
Whistle
8xNails
35mm waterproof match canister
Old pocket knife
A few Memo size papers
Watertight zip bag
Bandage
2x Small zip tights
4x Plasters
Small vial of WD40 Spray
Firesteel

Nothing fancy, but an experienced person can find use for it in emergency.
add in....

a pad of steel wool
9v battery
9 hour candle
roll of orange surveyor tape

#19 ·
ATTN:

A) Thank you Felicia.
B) Please note that the rules for a minor participating in this are as they were
with the original giveaway (i.e., an adult must request the kit from me).
C) No flammable items will be mailed or sharp objects (knives, etc...).
D) SurvivalistBoards has nothing to do with this and may alter this as they seem fit.

From the original giveaway...
Because of the nature of some of the items in this kit, you must be over 18 years old to
participate in this giveaway or have an adult submit their request to participate on your behalf.

ATTN: SurvivalistBoards has nothing to do with this giveaway. [Moderators: Feel free to correct me on anything if I've
done anything that may be deemed inappropriate. I will be happy to delete anything that might go against board rules.]
I got this idea from my previous giveaway. :D:

MOD EDIT
TWEAKED TITLE​

Also remember folks, while suggestions to improve the giveaway is always welcomed and appreciated,
for those who have complaints about "how" the giveaway is done, remember, it's not mandatory.
No one HAS TO participate and if you never click on this thread again, it'll never bother you again.

#26 ·
I guess ive been nominated :): thanks NoTea4u it feels good to be appreciated.
I live in Wyoming at 7200 feet so the winters are pretty dismal. Cold more than snow is the problem here. My parents are old hippies who are against every sort of gun, but love to camp and backpack. My dad and I have gone backpacking togather once and plan on doing so again over springbreak. I first got into military surplus gear while preparing for the trip and got hooked on it.
A year and a half ago I started to get in shape. Around the same time I realized that I was much more conservative than my family was. I started to understand that their ideology will quickly get someone killed in a SHTF scenario. Trusting people who would quickly take all of your supplies away from you to not take your supplies is fundementally flawed. My current plan is a bug in scenario, but as food storage in any real quantity gets expensive I can't do as much as I would like. My only food storage so far is two boxes of baked beans in the basement that my parents bought in bulk. My bob is close to empty as most of the equipment that I need isnt available intown and buying online uses credit cards/debit cards so aquiring gear is difficult. As for cash im broke and too young to get a job. (Just by a year!)
My current bug out plan is to get to the Snowy Range mountains and live up their for a while. I dont forsee a disaster on the horizon except for social or monetary collapse and hopefully that will never happen. With wilderness everywhere around me learning to survive in it is the natural thing to do. I couldnt survive for a day after bugging out with no knowledge.
Who I look up to: Vietnam veterans are probably the biggest group. They survived and fought in jungles where half of the animals tried to kill you as well as people with rifles. The skills learned there are impossible to aquire in almost any other circumstance.
My single biggest annoyence is zombie preppers. People who get all excited about everyone dieing and getting to kill things. These people make me appreciate this forum all the more.

#27 ·
All I need for a survival kit is my trusty knife...

Everything else can be made easly even fire its just more work..

Grandfather taught me that when I was 4 years old. Told me how to use it how to do things and how to make fires You really don't need much at all.

You can make a knife if you lose it.

#31 ·
Understanable...but who gets it, don't know, your choice....

but, I've decided to do the same that you're doing by hunting for cast off items at thrift stores, and yards sales to see what can be put together in a basic kit....it's a good ideal to get young folks started, and interested....

#30 · (Edited)
Wow i get to be the second person to get in on this? I like those odds.
I am 18 and right now i'm a student at a collage in Denver studying Enviorment Science, originally from some suburb in the same city, right north of the table mountains if anyone knows where that is.
I got a decent little set up for a BoB that i keep in my dorm(not to astonishing but i'm most likely the only one at this collage who has one, at least with him) along with a box of camping gear at my house. I wrangled myself up an Sks over the summer with graduation money but that is all gone now. Along with the $16k in student loans i managed to rack up in debt this year i got myself in a nice little rut.
Been hiking and camping all my life, more so when i was younger because things are getting tight financially for the family now. I love the mountains and enjoy taking all these sheeple at my collage up into them and showing them a thing or two Haha. I'd appreciate the bag and gear considerably, as my gear is mostly things from chinamart and a few pieces i was able to buy at the local surplus store.
Thanks for the consideration and i look foreword to see how this all plays out.

#36 ·
Funny, as I was reading the first page I was going to make the exact same suggestion. Seems bright and like the type that would appreciate such a kit and put it to use.

It would be hard for me to contribute given my physical location, but I could always purchase something off Amazon and send it to whomever happens to be putting the kit together. Let me know if I can assist.

#38 ·
I might've some stuff around I could chip in with. I'd like to see more Applicants first. Who is gonna prove how old these people are? Sending a knife to a 13 y.o. Migh not be so good without talking to a parent or guardian. Do you have a process fo after we pick the winner?

#39 ·
As I am in South Africa and would not be in a position for supplying GOODS as a donation, do you have a PayPal account that I could donate $10 to towards a gift voucher of your choice.

I have read a couple of your articles/posts and am seriously impressed with not only your inventiveness, but also your honest desire to keep the older traditions of self sufficiency and responsibility alive.

Well done sir and keep up the good work!!

#43 ·
I have a collection of alcohol stoves. I can provide a very good unused one, made from a Bud bottle, as well as a standard soda an stove and pot stand. The Bud stove is literally strong enough to stand on. And it doesn't need a pot stand.

Also, I'll throw in a 4oz alcohol carry bottle and a small homemade bush buddy to provide light a well as heat water. Plus an old fashioned can opener - church key type - so the winner can make his own hobo stove. It would be good practice in making some of his own kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.