Survivalist Forum banner

My 2000th Post "Common Man Survival Kit" Giveaway...

29K views 244 replies 122 participants last post by  SirThrivalist 
#1 ·
Gents,

I've made it to 2000 posts. I know, I know, some of you thought I'd never get to that number (sarcasm :p ),
but nonetheless, I've reached that pinnacle. To give something back, I'm going to put together a small kit that will
comprise of stuff that I think would come in handy in a mini-emergency and it's basically a "better than nothing at all" kit.

In 7 days from today, on Friday, January 11th, 2013, I'll name a winner.

I'm going to randomly pick a number from 1-100. You pick post a number from 1-100 on this thread and whoever's
number is closest and not over, they'll get the kit. In the event of a tie, we'll have a run-off, but to hopefully avoid that,
please read the entire thread and pick a number that hasn't been picked. It's that easy. You don't have to pay for anything,
you don't have to send me anything, I will ship it out worldwide at my own expense.

The only thing I ask is that if you don't think you're going to utilize it after a while, that instead of
letting it collect dust in some forgotten corner, you pass it on to someone who will have use of it.

It's going to be a bare-bones, 10C's/Essentials kit that an experienced well-prepped survivalist can just throw in the
back of their truck or in a shack that they frequent for those "just in case" moments or that they can hand off to a
young prepper they want to bring along.

There will be nothing of any great value in it monetarily, but if you had nothing else except the clothes on your back and
you were out in the sticks, it'd carry you for a few days until you can get situated then you'd be on your own from then on.
Mostly however, I think it'd give you a micro-psychological boost to have a few bits to keep you busy until help arrives or you
self-rescue. You're not going to build a log cabin with this stuff, but you'll be able to stay warmer, drier and better hydrated &
nourished than if you didn't have them.

Some of the stuff will be used, mostly everything however is new, all will be dirt cheap. If you are a newb and/or short
on cash, I encourage you to go for it as something is always better than nothing (especially when it's free). I had no new
canteens to include so those being a personal item, I suggest you pick one up or buy a bottled water and throw it in the
bag and WALA! instant container (besides the 1QT Emergency Water Bag I've included).

With that, here is the list of items I'll be including:
  • Small ODish Green Backpack
  • Fire Kit (PJCB Tinder Bottle, Fresnel Lense, Ferro Rod/Mag Rod, Bic Lighter, Strike Anywhere Matches in Waterproof Case)
  • Tools (Walmart Folder Knife, Multi-Tool, Credit Card Tool, Razor Blade)
  • My infamous Chalkline Fishing kit w/at least 40' of Spiderwire & some tackle
  • 3 Mil Contractor Bag
  • Mylar Space Blanket
  • (2) Aquamira Tabs
  • Emergency Poncho
  • P-38 Can Opener
  • Dog Tag Signal Mirror
  • Individual First Aid Kit
  • 6' OD 550 Paracord
  • Needles & Thread
  • Mini Flashlight
  • Button Compass
  • 2' Gorilla Tape
  • Mini Altoids Tin
  • Bandana
  • Whistle
  • And..."How To Stay Alive In The Woods" By Bradford Angier

Because of the nature of some of the items in this kit, you must be over 18 years old to
participate in this giveaway or have an adult submit their request to participate on your behalf.

So basically, you'll have emergency shelter, water container, sew bits, cutting tool(s), signaling devices, cordage,
fire starting capabilities, first aid essentials, some food procurement means and a good book to read to keep
your mind focused.

ATTN: SurvivalistBoards has nothing to do with this giveaway. [Moderators: Feel free to correct me on anything if I've
done anything that may be deemed inappropriate. I will be happy to delete anything that might go against board rules.]

See less See more
#169 ·

Wow. Actually, I was going to ask everybody if I could close it early
because Friday is a long way off and I'd love to get it out to someone.

Tell you what though, let's hold this up to a vote. Should I close this thing already
giving everybody who's picked up a number that's already been taken a chance
to pick a number that hasn't been taken and git'r done already?

#168 ·
but seriously, 1-200 would make people change their numbers. I think if you just allowed half numbers to be chosen, like 23.5 or 65.5, all participants' current choices would still be valid and could remain unchanged, since their choices evenly span the entire spectrum of possible choices.

#184 ·
Whoever has picked a double number where you weren't the original person to pick it,
please choose another number that hasn't been picked between 1-125. I'm about ready to close
this giveaway and do my best to get this kit out to someone Tuesday morning. I'm going
to pick a winner tomorrow evening, announce it here, then they will PM me their mailing address.

Not that I don't like the thread or anything, I just don't see a significant enough number of new
participants between now and Friday. Yeah...let's wrap this up.
Ok, let it change from 13 to 113.... 113 it is!

EDIT: If I win I will leave one item I like, and send the rest to the next new member joining the boards.

#189 ·
/Begin Rant......

Jeez Guys!!! Sirthivealist puts up an offer of a freebie for his 2000th post and some of you go in to typical American "GIMME THAT" mode!

I stand very little chance of "winning" - 1% or less - but I still took a random chance just in case.

I find it amazing how the attitude of members of this forum has changed over the last year or so, from a group of dedicated and helpful individuals with a common purpose - to a bunch of petty minded individualists who take every chance possible to pick on the newbies or make nasty replies to their questions!

I have been a lurker here for quite a while before officially joining the forum and while there is always a place for sarcasm and pure evil thoughts (dark side and others...) most of the posts and comments that are made are constructive and helpful.

I find it quite amazing that you guys can stand there with your hand out expecting a freebie, while bitching about the quality and quantity of said handout!

Rant over/

Just pick a number and take a chance - there is nothing to lose and something to win!!

Thank you again to Sirthrivealist for the donation of time and effort to sit and go through the thread to collate all the numbers and to whomever the lucky number holder is, well done and good luck to you.

#194 · (Edited)
@9mmparrabellum - not an american hater, just someone who has to deal with the "gimme" mentality every day and is tired of seeing the same BS all over the world. I actually am in the process of trying to find work in your country because of the treatment I am being given here at home.

Because I am white, over 45 and male immediately excludes me from government assistance in my own country, I am not allowed to own a firearm for self defence, my property can be taken from me and handed to a "disadvantaged person of color" with no legal recourse. I am unable to get a job because of a ridiculous law that was repealed 18 YEARS AGO!!!!! All new jobs are firstly offered to uneducated blacks whether they have the qualifications or not, and generally

White folks are being racially abused on a daily basis in my country and the government ignores it on the grounds of "you whities did this to us, so we just returning the favor"

So - in answer to your comment - not an American hater, but just tired of the BS Americans Are Better And Should Always Be Considered First attitude.

--------------------------------------------------

So as not to hijack this thread any further, can a moderator copy my two statements and use them to create a new thread in this forum or in the preferred forum for this kind of comment and PM the new location to me and I will be quite happy to continue the cheap shots and nasty remarks - which if you note was the exact comment that I made to start this argument....

#199 ·
Out of the original 100 number choices, the only ones left are:

The following users have picked duplicate numbers and have a chance to pick a number between 101 and 125. (for the record, 113 has already been chosen)

Lock
Outdoorsman98
UrbanWolf
soulska
Mr. Beef
BigGudeGeorge
spacelarry
SfS
JackBauer2218
jkdetonator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.