Survivalist Forum banner

Home defense?

4K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  captbob 
#1 ·
o.k. so last night around 7pm my husband is outside with the smoker checking on the salmon. (which was his BEST batch yet!)

all of a sudden he runs in and said, somethings wrong, puts his glasses down (which he always does when he expects something physical) and says call 911.

i go chasing after him down the street saying call 911 for what? of course it doesn't take me long to figure it out.

just a few houses away, i see a bunch of teenagers yelling and a car in the middle of street and something metal clanking the ground and my husband in the middle of it all trying to seperate everybody.

i'm on the phone with the cops telling them what's going on and that i heard someone yell, get the gun.

well my husband got the guys in the car to leave and talks to the mom of some of the kids. i asked her what it was all about and she said incense.

incense? i figured she meant pot, but my husband said it was that fake pot stuff. stupid teenagers.

anyways, the cops show up, and fire trucks and ambulances come to a different house cause someone needed to go to the hospital on a compleetely unrelated incident. very chaotic hour.

anyways, after it all settled my husband was looking around the house, and said he was concerned about home defense. mostly for me, cause i'm home alone alot.

what do ya'll recommend i do about home defense. get gun training, physical combat training, pepper spray. LOL i'm not sure what to look into or keywords.

See less See more
Reactions: SSGNasty
#8 ·
Educate yourself on all the options and determine what will work for you. I agree with the suggestion of a dog. Criminals look for easy opportunities. A house with a dog, they are naturally territorial and defensive of their territory. It makes your home a harder target.

My wife is tough, all the defensive self defense training in the world will not make her a match for 2 or more 20 something 6'2" street-wise thugs intent on doing her harm, even if they're unarmed. Unless, she is armed. Someone once said the Bill of Rights made all men free, Samuel Colt made them equal.

A gun is not the solution for everyone. It starts with some self-evaluation. Do you KNOW you can and will pull the trigger if faced with a life threatening situation? If you're unsure, be sure, one way or the other. If you know the answer is yes, get one and get the training to use it. If no, find other means of protection.

There are some ladies out there who write articles, books and train women in self defense. One that I've recommended as a good place for women to begin for over 20 years is a wonderful lady named Paxton Quigley. Her old book "Armed and Female" is a must read if you decide to own a gun. She has a website that'll help too. Emily Miller is another I follow, here's a recent interview with her...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9jwNkQh0mg&feature=youtu.be

There are many, many other good resources, both solely for the ladies and for all of us. I have many other resources if you're interested. I often train women in lethal and non-lethal self defense even though I recommend they seek training by a qualified female. I've helped hundreds of women get such training and other assistance I won't go into here. Educate yourself first. Evaluate second. Prepare and train third.

#13 ·
Depending on your economic situation, I recomend like every one else ,get training it's cheap, some gun shops do it for free.
I start my trainees off with Air soft or BB guns that resemble real fire arms and all, but lack the noise and recoil and cost of ammo, they give a relative response for training purpouses, both emediately and long after a real fire arm is acquired.
You will hear a great many discussion over what is the best , as for the calibur . Be patient every one likes what they got , be it a .22 or a .454 casuall or a 12 gage shot gun. it is important that you are aware of what these do, and the more research you can do in to the information available the better you can make an informed decision on what is right for you in your particular situation.
Many of us have several guns , we are addicts and we know it .
Beyond guns there are trainings for home defence and if possable personal self defence classes in the event you are caught off guard away from home .
You will find your self among a lot of other women now taking all those classes .

#14 ·
Maverick 88 is a good start or a judge. Do you have a YMCA in your area they have great programs for self defense.

I go to the range at least once a week, if you plan on using a gun for protection you need to practice, practice more, and when you get tired of practicing that's when you keep practicing.

Cops don't protect you they are only there to investigate after the crime has been done!! Self reliance does not end with stockpiled food!

#15 ·
Find a local indoor range and try out a few of thier rental pistols. Start with something small like a .380 and move up till you find the largest caliber you are comfortable with. For my wife it is the 9mm. 5 years ago she had never touched a gun. She is 5'2" and handles it just fine. Good luck.

#23 ·
Be careful with this idea, caliber is only part of the picture. Gun size and design can make a huge difference. My wife, who has shot many hand guns in various calibers, had her heart set on a particular very small 9mm. We (she) rented it before buying, and it kicked so bad she couldn't shoot it. Long trigger pull, big hand-slapping kick = her flinching, trying to compensate for the kick before jerking the trigger.. By the time she neared the end of the 100 rounds she bought, her wrists hurt, she couldn't keep shots on paper, and I shot the rest. She loved the feel of the gun, and no complaints about the trigger pull, too much kick. The gun was too small for my hands, and I absolutely hated the loooong trigger pull, but the kick didn't bother me. It's all relative.

#20 ·
thank you so much for your thoughts. we do have guns, but i have only gone shooting once at a range a few weeks ago. we also have two dogs, and they bark at everything.

you all have a point about my husband running into a mess. he's afraid of nothing. he's just like that. there to help. i'll talk to him about it.

#21 ·
o.k. so last night around 7pm my husband is outside with the smoker checking on the salmon. (which was his BEST batch yet!)

all of a sudden he runs in and said, somethings wrong, puts his glasses down (which he always does when he expects something physical) and says call 911.

i go chasing after him down the street saying call 911 for what? of course it doesn't take me long to figure it out.

just a few houses away, i see a bunch of teenagers yelling and a car in the middle of street and something metal clanking the ground and my husband in the middle of it all trying to seperate everybody.

i'm on the phone with the cops telling them what's going on and that i heard someone yell, get the gun.

well my husband got the guys in the car to leave and talks to the mom of some of the kids. i asked her what it was all about and she said incense.

incense? i figured she meant pot, but my husband said it was that fake pot stuff. stupid teenagers.

anyways, the cops show up, and fire trucks and ambulances come to a different house cause someone needed to go to the hospital on a compleetely unrelated incident. very chaotic hour.

anyways, after it all settled my husband was looking around the house, and said he was concerned about home defense. mostly for me, cause i'm home alone alot.

what do ya'll recommend i do about home defense. get gun training, physical combat training, pepper spray. LOL i'm not sure what to look into or keywords.
Yes, yes and yes.

#26 ·
No offense meant, but...

You have been on a Survivalist Forum for 2½ years (with 3,000+ posts - indicating that you spend a lot of time here) and you have never considered home defense needs?

You have guns in your home but have "only gone shooting once at a range a few weeks ago" ?

I'm kinda curious what area of the forum you have spent the past 2½ years in where you haven't come across threads where you just might have thought something along the lines of:

"Gee, that could happen here, maybe I outta think about some home defense solutions."

or maybe...

"Gosh, that could happen here, maybe I outta learn how to properly handle and shoot those guns we have here in the house!"

Seriously, is there a Mayberry RFD sub-section here that I haven't found where home invasions, and badness in general are never discussed?

I don't know you from Adam (okay, Eve!) and my intent isn't to be critical, but while I can grasp someone not wanting to go the gun route, I don't see how anyone could be on a Survivalist Forum for so long and have never considered their home security.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.