Survivalist Forum banner

20 Ga. for home defense

12K views 56 replies 39 participants last post by  Seraph035 
#1 ·
I recently came into ownership of a western field 20ga. pump shotgun. I was thinking of having it made into a house gun for my wife. My 12ga. is awkward for her to use. I figure an 18 in. barrel and a light with a sidesaddle would be about right.

#11 ·
12 gauge Rule .... That's the Fact Jack

I think most of us would be better off with 20 g's butt are to stubborn to admit it.

there's all kinds of testing to back up the military & law enforcement use of the 12 gauge for the last 150 yrs .... if you can even find decent defensive rounds in the 20 gauge .... more power to you

stubborness doesn't necessarilly denote dumb .... but stupid is always stupid

#12 ·
Nothing wrong with a 20, we actually have been window shopping one in youth size for My fiancee as my 12 ga has way too long lop for her.

Federal makes personal defense flite control buckshot in 20 ga and it's pretty easy to come by around here, not sure how hard it is to find for you illini

#16 ·
I don't think that Boycott is saying that the 20 gauge is BETTER than the 12, but that many people are BETTER SERVED with the 20 gauge.
I've read that sentence like five times....and for the life of me, it makes no sense.

He said that "most of us would be better off with 20ga's". If the 20ga isn't better than the 12 in some way, then you can't be better off with it. If it *is* better than the 12 in some way then by all logic, you'd be even better off with say a 28ga or a .410. Are they better than the 12, too? So, what exactly makes the 20 the best shotgun for "most of us"?

You can load a 12 down to pretty much any level that a 20 can be used at with common ammo. A 7/8oz load of lead from a 12 hits just as hard as the same load from a 20 and it kicks exactly the same. 12ga ammo can be loaded UP far beyond what a 20 can, though.

Peace and long life.

rich

#17 ·
Well at least you took the time to read and attempt to understand the opposing point of view! That I respect.

How I consider it is this... yes 12 gauge has more versatility, power, and most people use it. Recoil is really about the same with standard loads. What the 20 has is much better maneuverability IMO. From those that do not shoot their shotguns often, this may be an important factor.

Less weight, more maneuverability. And yes, you can choose lower-recoil shells for the 12. But really, if most people arent shooting their 12's enough to become proficient, they are probably not going to go out of their way to choose low recoil ammo either.

I am just looking it at a standpoint of a "Shotgun Beginner", "I have one in the closet but never shoot it" etc etc. Most people on this forum will not be in this grouping but again we are far from the majority of the people.

#20 · (Edited)
I am a fan of the 20 gauge because if built from the ground up a gun can be made much trimmer, lighter and faster handling then the twelve. Hence my favorite shotgun the Franchi 48AL just over 5 pounds with 5 rounds on board. Twenty gauge ammo is cheaper to reload( uses less powder less lead) smaller easier to carry more of them. The twenty can be pretty devastating at close range. The reduced recoil means quicker follow up shots. I mean even most police 12 gauge buckshot loads are now reduced recoil. If you're going to reduce the recoil might as well getter a trimmer package to go with it.

As for birdshot... Don't do it. Bird shot leaves large shallow wounds. They do no stop a threat. Been plenty of presidence for this. As recently as this weekend in the city of Syracuse, NY. A guy opened up on a crowd with a twelve gauge with bird shot. Injured 5 who were treated and released from the hospital. Bird shot looks impressive on paper and even 2X4 s at close range. Shoot it into ballistic gel, wet newspaper, or lined up water jugs and see. Or just look at morgue reports. Bird shot may kill eventually from infection or nicking something important. But for defense buck shot is the way to go.

#22 ·
Most hunters in my family use the 20 gauge for deer. As stated the guns tend to be lighter and faster handling which is what you truly need in the thick undergrowth. Also I've noticed 20 gauges tend to group slugs better than the larger bores. 16/ 12/ and 10. Though I have taken more deer with a 10 gauge slug then any other caliber. Up close MOA grouping is not important at all. And that close firing that fast at deer who are never at a good angle I prefer the 10 gauge. The twenty will work but I hate tracking.

#25 ·
I have everything from single shots to semi autos from .410 to 10 gauge and my home defense gun is a 20 gauge. I'm no recoil wimp and I am an experienced shooter. Those wannabe Rampoos who insist only 3 1/2" of 12 gauge is good enough for a soft skinned 2 legged house breaker need to get a life. They may not be able to knock over large trees with a 20 gauge but it will kill a deer at 100 yards and ruin a boogerman's day at 8 yards. I use it because I'm a little faster with it not because it's better. I would call it good enough for what I need it for. If Rampooettes were really worried about power they would get a 10 gauge with 3 1/3" chambers and load up for water buffalo and rhinoceros.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.