Survivalist Forum banner

where do you keep your home defense gun?

6K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  solinvictus 
#1 ·
I want to keep 12 gauge near the front door but what good would that do me if someone breaks in at night? So for now I keep it in the closet in my bedroom. Where does everyone else keep theirs?

#3 ·
I'd prop it up loaded against the headboard if I could but I got a 18 month old boy plus my wife would probably think I was paranoid (which I am).

#4 ·
About a foot from my head when I'm laying down- propped up against the wall.

My apartment is small, and the shotgun is in about the center, within a few steps unless I'm in the can.

Hmm.

What's the feasibility of stashing a 'can gun?'

#9 ·
Where do I keep my home defense gun? Which one? LOL
My USP-9 is almost always on me, if its not then its in the top drawer of my nightstand. My Mossberg 500 is on the shelf of my headboard.
The USP-9 and Mossberg 500 are kept loaded but chamber empty when they are not with me. The USP-9 is kept "cocked & locked" when its on me.

#13 ·
I'm kind of like yonder. I keep mine on me from when I get up until I go to bed.
This is also the one that I train with the most so I'm very comfortable using it in that holster in action pistol type shooting. Running through scenarios with it, right and left handed. If my right shoulder gets shot and I only have a left hand to work with I'm still going to be able to load it, pull the slide, fire, etc. with the use of only my weak hand. And shooting left handed in "action" I'm a better shot than most people would be using their weak hand (keeping in mind I'm not shooting for group size when I practice but rapid well-placed body hits).

Funny thing happened over the weekend... the neighbors all know that I carry (openly), and that I appear to be a less-than-conventional looking person, so who knows what they're thinking. My wife calls me from her car in the driveway to tell me there is a big black dog keeping her from getting out of the car to the house with my kids.

I just walk out the door and start hollaring at the dog, yelling "get the hell out or I'm gonna shoot your hairy ass"

A few doors down the street someone comes running out in their robe and slippers and calls the dog back. I think they turned the dog out to do its business because they are too lazy to walk it. Keep in mind, I live in the city, not out in the boonies, so turning a dog out like that is NOT the norm and NOT legal. I think the dude in his robe realized that his dog wandered down to the house with the crazy looking guy with the gun on his hip and he rightfully panicked. :D

The dog was leaving my property, but not as enthusiastically as I would have liked. He kept turning around and puffing up and standing his ground. My right hand was on the sidearm the whole time. I hope the neighbor saw that. I hope they get a leash for that mutt.

#12 · (Edited)
I keep a main and backup pistol on me at all times until bed, a 12g 1 foot beside my bed in the corner,a glock under the other pillow,and my vault open with the ar15 or ak47 ready to grab in my closet all with one in the chamber. I put all the guns that i don't have on me back in the safe when i leave the house.

If i were to wake up with someone coming into my room i would grab the pistol under the pillow. I don't have a nightstand. If i knew an intruder was coming up my stairs i would grab the scatter gun. If there was a possibility of multiple persons trying to break in a would grab a rifle. I like to keep my options open.

#15 ·
With a Mohawk hair job and a nose ring people think of you less-than-conventional? No way! How unenlightened of them... lol.

You don't have to have a nose ring or unusual hair cut to be less-than-conventional. I've been that way all my life so I know what you mean.

Do you practice shooting with your weak side hand? In other words, I am right handed so I also practice shooting with my left hand. From the looks of your rig, you are left handed so do you practice with your right hand? Or is that photo of your rig backwards for some reason? That backwards "E" kind of makes me wonder. I've practiced so often that I can use my pistol with either hand. It really is a good thing to know in case of an emergency.

#19 ·
Do you practice shooting with your weak side hand?
Yes. I always work in some scenario where I either have use of my right hand but need to shoot left handed for whatever reason (like shooting around a corner that's on my weak side). Or a scenario where I have completely lost use of my right arm.

Or is that photo of your rig backwards for some reason? That backwards "E" kind of makes me wonder.
I took a picture of myself in the mirror and didn't flip the image.

#23 ·
Bill, think "tactics." You can make just about any gun work with the right tactics. Even a .22 caliber Jennings can get the job done in some cases. I'll bet that if you take a couple of .22s to the head that it'll ruin your day, right? If that Jennings properly works and if the shooter knows how to make it hit accurately then any bad guy is in for a bad time. Now, would I want to risk my life on a Jennings? No, but I have trained different too. But if all I had was .22 Jennings then that's what I'd use.

#24 ·
HS - for the majority, a head shot in the middle of the night, in a dark room is very unlikely. So, several shots to a perps center of mass with a .45 makes more sense. Why would anyone buy a Jennings .22 handgun for anything, when for $50 dollars more one can procure a good used shotgun? I would never council ANYONE to settle for a Jennings .22 for self defense. One would be better off with a good knife.

#25 ·
Not my 1st choice either but if it goes bang it beats throwing rocks, I owned one during my youth and it fed flawlessly and went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

Make sure you use good ammo and rotate it from time to time.

One thing I will agree on is the shotgun nothing handles the things that go bump in the night like a 12 gauge.

#26 ·
This is one of those situations bill where one would say.....pick any knife ya want and ill take the .22 we'll see who walks away.:eek:. I had a jennings also...it went bang everytime, and I never had anyone take me up on the offer to let me shoot them when they said it is a POS that would not fire. I dont know anyone who wants to take a 22lr much less 6 of them. Just my thinking.

#27 ·
Within reach. At night I keep it at the nightstand because I have a child and want to keep it that way. Its assembled and loaded at all times.

I'd keep it with me in bed but its not a cuddly as my teddy bear :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.