Survivalist Forum banner

NJ resident buying ammo in PA?

56K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  hoplite59 
#1 ·
I am a NJ resident and am looking to purchase some .22 LR ammo to start stocking up for when I purchase a Ruger 10/22 within a year. I do not have my NJ FID yet. I feel like the ammo prices will keep climbing higher. I have experience with shooting .22's since I was a child in the Boy Scouts.

I am 90% sure I will move to Luzerne County PA this September 2012 in which I will become a resident of PA, have a PA DL, and be allowed to purchase any firearm I wish as well as any ammo I might want (real freedom is a nice thing).

My question is:
Will any stores in PA (Cabelas, Walmart, Gun shops, shooting ranges) sell me .22 LR ammo without a NJ FID? Can I just bring my passport for ID and say I don't have my license on me?

I know the law states that I am allowed to buy ammo in PA but not in NJ. I also can not buy the ammo in PA and bring it back into NJ from what I understand. I also know that .22 LR can be considered handgun ammo and is sold likewise. Can anyone clue me into what I actually can and can not do? I don't want to make a trip to Cabela's for nothing. The ammo will be stored in PA after purchase to avoid any problems in NJ. I can't wait to get out of this a$$backwards state.
Thanks everyone.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
not sure who told you buying ammo is illegal in NJ. I go to ****'s sporting goods all the time for 45's and shells, and they just have you sign a notepad. Nothing even legal-looking. They didn't ask for a NJFID card. NJ has an issue with gun ownership, not ammo possession. Try any local gunshop or sporting goods store, you should have no trouble. If you go to someplace small, and explain you're stocking up, they might even make you a bulk deal. Who knows?
( Hehehe - the board's auto censor just kicked in, so we'll have to call it richard's sporting goods for now)

#6 ·
good to know!

Looks like I'll be making a trip to some gun shops after all! Good to know I can stock up on some ammo now before I drop the money on my first one or two firearms. I have a bunch of military ammo boxes I can use to store with some desiccant packets.

I have seen blogs and posts online about shipping ammo to NJ being the problem. That may have confused the my whole view on buying ammo.

#11 ·
Can't wait to get out

I think I should be able to buy and store ammo here in NJ . On a sign in sheet I'll just sign Bob Smith or Ben Anas (Bananas). It's a difficult struggle in NJ for anyone looking to just get into shooting/hunting let alone acquire a firearm for home/self defense. I was told it would take anywhere from 1-4 months to get my FID card & handgun purchase permit...:headshake: by that time I'll be moving out of this asinine state to freedom town USA across the river.

#10 ·
negative on the cop killers

Yeah I'm straying away from hollow points and I'm not looking to kill any cops or any humans. Haha Just looking to get back into shooting (target/plinking like when I was a kid) and possibly hunting in the future as well as home defense and as a means of survival.

#15 ·
I was in Toms River, NJ a couple weeks ago and went to ****'S Sporting Goods in Bricktown (I think that was the name) and tried to buy a box of .380 ammo. The salesman said he had plenty in stock and I said great, I had not found it lately in Ohio (.380 Critical Defense).

He said "Do you have a New Jersey FID?" and I asked what is an FID and he told me and added I could not legally buy handgun ammunition in NJ. He added "In fact, the only thing you can buy is shotgun ammunition, and not a lot of that."

I thought he was joking but he wasn't. We were in Toms River several days and each day I jokingly suggested we go back to the store and try to buy ammo.

The salesman added a lot of NJ residents went to PA to buy their ammo.

#17 ·
moving to North East PA

Just so everyone knows I am actually moving to PA in a few weeks. So after I get settled and land a job and get my PA drivers license, apparently I can buy whatever I want whenever I want....ammo, rifle/shotgun/handgun/bb gun/pellet gun....basically anything. It's going to be different, feeling a sense of actual freedom since I grew up and have spent most of my life in New Germany....I mean Nazi Jersey... I mean New Jersey. :upsidedown:
I plan on purchasing some firearms for target shooting, home defense, and possibly hunting which I would love to learn how to do in the near future. I may also apply for a concealed carry permit with the sheriffs dept. I grew up shooting .22 LR rifles and had fun shooting skeet in the past and shot a few hand guns with success 2 years ago.
If anyone reading this is in the Wilkes Barre / Scranton Area, that's where I'm relocating to so send me a message.

#18 ·
Buying Handgun ammo in N.J.

A NJ resident here interested in buying some ammo before Obama closes the ammo factories.
I grew up in Pa. and was fully stocked up with guns prior to moving to NJ so I never bothered with the Firearms purchasing ID. The need for one never arose until I wanted to get a BB Gun for my Son. The process at the Hamilton police station seemed more like harassment to discourage you than anything.
$65 to finger print and register in order to buy a $30 Red Ryder plus have three character references report to the police station on your behalf.
Already the owner of several guns I passed on the nonsense.
A trip to a certain Pa. Mart and problem solved.
NJ just doesn't feel like America, I have no problem with background checks, they wouldn't find as much as a traffic ticket. I am also a Vet, what hurdle next, mandatory firearm safety classes.

My question: I know I can purchase shot shells and 30-30 rounds in NJ without a card. What about 22's and .357 rounds, the last time I bought pistol ammo I only had to sign a notepad but that was years ago.
Pa is equally convenient, do they ask for a Pa drivers license?

I will not submit to NJ's oppressive nonsense.
Just have my Son who lives in Pa. pick up some ammo if I must.
Looking to leave NJ to get away taxes and the rest of their nonsense, I give up, Bumberg and his New Yorkers can have Jersey!

#19 ·
I dunno, I've never been asked for an ID when buying ammo but I live in a free state.

I buy mostly online now anyway, you just have to agree to the terms of sale when checking out. I'm sure if you live in a communist state you wouldn't be able to buy online without having one of those "permission" slips on file with the merchant though. Many online retailers of ammo, mags etc refuse to even ship to the communist states anyway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.