Survivalist Forum banner

12 guage shotgun adapters for many calibers

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  30-30remchester 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing several different adapters for my mossberg 500. You can get just about any adapter size for most calibers of ammo to fit in the 12 guage and I was wondering before I went this route has anyone else ever tried these. They are about 20 bucks each and look pretty useful if you only wanted to carry your shotgun a few adapters and several types of ammo on an outing. Just wondering what you guys thoughts are and if anyone has tried them. thanks in advance

#3 ·
Is there a reason why not? I figured I could just drop it in like a regular shell. I'm not talking about loading several in the magazine then cycling through them. Just a one at a time kind of thing. Troublesome yes, but could come in handy in a pinch.

#6 ·
The problem lies in loading a small cartridge through the ejection port since the chamber mouth is so "deep" (for lack of a different word).

I also don't think that the chamber mouth is rabbeted to accept a shell's rim on a pump gun.

Also, only full length inserts will give you any kind of accuracy.

This is a Krieghoff drilling, bottom barrel is a rifle calibre while the top right is a rifle insert into a 16 bore shotgun barrel...It runs from the breach to the mouth.

#8 ·
I collect all kinds of adapters as well as use them. I believe I own a few of the type you describe. If the ones you are interested in are manufactured in Montana then I have used them only at the range and have on some forum written a review, but cant remember which. I will try to remember the best I can. First I fired them from a 2 3/4" chambered model 12 Winchester. The adapters for both the 12 ga x 410 3" could be single loaded but had difficulty extracting and wont recommend for anything with less than a 3" chambered pump or auto loader. Same with the 12 ga x 357. It was tool long for a short chambered gun unless a break action. The 12 ga x 20 ga worked great as did the 12 ga x 22 lr worked well too. The 12 x 20 kept all the shot inside a 18" circle at 15 yards while the 12 x 410 kept all its shot inside a 24" at 15 yards. The 12 x 357 kept 3 out of 4 of its shots inside a 14" circle at 25 yards but 2 0f the bullets had gone through the target sideways. The 357 adapter is not rifled. The 12 x 22lr is rifled and kept all its shots inside 6" at 25 yards. This imfo is close to accurate but may be an few inches off as it has been a while since I did the study. A reflection on the adapters is the 12 x 22lr will go with me wherever my 12 guage goes but the other adapters are great for an emergency where ammo is scarce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.