Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-09-2012, 04:05 AM
Hiker

Default Acid Reflux...

Advertise Here

Any home remedy cures for acid reflux?

My wife gets it horribly. Thankfully I found that I can buy Omeprazole (active ingredient in Prilosec OTC) overseas extremely cheap. Just got in 100 20mg caplets for $18.00. My second purchase with this company and the stuff works.

Problem is sometimes we run out and her acid reflux becomes horrible and difficult to manage. To the point of her vomiting. I gotta have something in the ready.

I've used apple cider vinegar myself and it works great. Problem for my wife is that she can't get over the taste and it makes her sick to her stomach.

Is there anything else that anybody else has tried that works?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 AM

baking soda works.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 AM

About 5 years ago I started going to a homeopathic doctor for my ankle. I asked him about getting off of my blood pressure meds and my aciphex. I first had to remove all the breads and sugers from my diet. This helped me loose about 15 lbs. This helped not having the gut to force the food up. Secondly he advised to stay away from all wheat products. He claimed the geneticly altered wheat was not healthy. He had me stay away from saccharine, sweet and low, and those types of sweeteners. He claimed they are poision and should never be eaten. After a couple of months and the 15 lb weight lose I felt better then I had in some time. I went from an aciphex twice a day to one in the morning. My blood pressure had improved and I was moving in the right direction. Unfortunately his office moved about 70 miles from my home and I stopped going. I'm still on one pill but I have gained the weight back and will be back on two if I don't alter my eating again.
Like whip1 I mix a little baking soda in a little water and down the hatch. Usually when I've had something spicy.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM
FBHO

Thanked 1,482 Times in 560 Posts

I suffer from this. A thing that worries me is the cancer risk. It increases it greatly. I haven't isolated what is causing it yet, but it's been paining me for 20 years. I figure that I'm screwed. I don't want to take the OTC zyban stuff or anything that alters my body's chemistery, so I live on tums. (at least I won't break a hip!)

Baking soda and water help. As does milk.

I'd love some more insight on the topic, and what worked for people to make it go away... for good. Diet ect.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Prepared

If she is overweight, now is the time to start working on a lifestyle change to drop a few pounds - even 10% of body weight can significantly improve health.

Sleep apnea can be a silent contributor to reflux - have you investgated that avenue?

The Omeprazole works well, but it has been shown in studies to interfere with bone density, a problem which often affects women more than men. So if she does take the Omeprazole on a regular basis be sure she does wieght bearing exercises to strengthen her bones.

While you are waiting for your overseas shipment to arrive, go to walmart and get some OTC omeprazole to have in stock at home.

Best of luck in beating this!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,063 Times in 411 Posts

charcoal works well also. i think you can figure out how to make it.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 AM

One of our 11 yr old twin daughters has severe issues with acid reflux. Honestly, almost all the medications we have tried, did NOT help her at all. But she has it ONLY when she is at school. I make breakfast every morning, dinner every night and she never gets sick. It turns out that the school food was keeping her sick. I've started sending her lunch with her daily and she rarely has issues now. I cook almost completely homemade, natural foods because of this. We have started breeding rabbits because rabbit and goat meat are GREAT for digestion issues. It is very mild on the stomach (per Peggy's doctors). I also watch what type of spices I use (you would be amazed at how some of the most mild types of spices can affect your stomach). It has made a HUGE difference in her. Now, she normally just drinks milk when it happens.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Both my wife and I have had it.
The doctors were telling my wife that she would have to take meds the rest of her life.
Both of us are now med free and don't have the acid reflux for a couple of years.
It is not difficult to get rid of and takes just a little effort. However most people are lazy and won't bother.

If you want to try something new that will work, then work on improving your internal flora.

We started to make our own kefir and drink it every day. Results almost immediate, med free in a month, hardly ever even get basic heartburn eating anything I want.

Store bought kefir will probably not work as the live cultures are not really there.
Kefir is easy to make natural food. It requires kefir grains and milk. Through the kefir grains in a mason jar, add milk, set on counter, wait 24 hrs or less and you have kefir. Take out the grains and add it to milk for the next batch... Goes on and on, takes fifteen minutes aday, can be maintained indefinately and is very healthy. My wife is also lactose intolerant and can still drink the kefir. I like it straight but my wife either adds a little maple syrup to it or mixes it up with fruit to make a smoothie.

By the way, this seemingly anecdotal evidence has worked on everyone I know that has tried it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bbear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Let me add that once healed up completely you could probably stap taking the kefir. But it is so healthy and nutritious why stop? Use it as a healthy lifestyle food and keep youself from getting more problems later.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,189 Times in 899 Posts

If you want to get rid of AR, the best thing to do is to change your diet. I guarantee it will go away. Steer clear of all soda pop, over processes foods, and wheat products. If it comes in a box or a bag, don't eat it, or at least try to keep it under 20% of your diet. All the ACV, keifer, yogurt, etc. does is deal with the symptoms. AR is a direct result of a poor diet.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Had acid reflux for over 10 years and took aciphex and omeprazole religiously. Last December I quit drinking coffee, and most carbonated beverages, rarely eat chocolate and reduced my salt intake. I exercise regularly and have lost 20lbs. My reflux is almost entirely gone. I have taken about 5 pills since December for minor bouts (when I have had a beer or two, or when I am dehydrated). Before this I had tried drinking pickle juice which also seemed to help. Good Luck