Survivalist Forum banner

rifle shotgun over under combo

67K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  tyusclan 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a rifle shotgun over under combo in a few months, and I was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations, im looking for a small caliber rifle like a .22 long or something around their paired with a 12 gauge non rifled. im looking into getting a mid to high end rifle, as I want something that will be durable and reliable. Also it must have built in open sights.

#4 ·
savage 24 over and under fits what your looking for but they are not made anymore so you have to look for them and they never made a 22/12ga they did make a 22/20ga or 22mag/20 etc.

i rarely see one of the 12ga savage 24's come up for sale but that does'nt mean they cant be found.....if you really want one of these look at gunsights like gunbroker.com or guns america....i found this one as an example of what to look for>http://www.gunsamerica.com/92432434.../SAVAGE_24V_COMBO_222_20GA_MAG_full_choke.htm
i own a savage 24 in 22lr/410 it is an excellent small gamer and i also like the example i provided....222 rem over 20ga is an outstanding combonation.....

#5 ·
I couldn't find a 22lr/12 gauge combo. Only things around are the savage 24 in 223 or .30-30 / 12 gauge. I kind of thought they made a 243 version at one time too. they make quite a few 22 / 20 gauge and 22 / 410 combos.

22lr / 20 gauge isn't bad. They mostly offer a 3" chamber version and virtually all savage 24 were fixed modified chokes.

A step up from the 24 savage is the tikka 512s. It used to be a Valmet 412s or valmet 512s. Mostly they made the .222 / 12 gauge version. You can easily swap barrels to a double .308, or 12 or 20 gauge over under. They made several barrel combos you can swap in. They usually go for 800-1000. The nice thing about the tikka / valmet is you can tune the relative aim of one barrel to another. This can be done so both of them hit close. You kind of get what you get with the savage. Tweaking in very informal and lucky at best. Most folks line up the rifle part and work with the shotgun aim, usually most are on target decently.

I really wish someone made a deer caliber centerfire / rimfire combo versus the rifle/shotgun combo.

#6 ·
I couldn't find a 22lr/12 gauge combo. Only things around are the savage 24 in 223 or .30-30 / 12 gauge. I kind of thought they made a 243 version at one time too. they make quite a few 22 / 20 gauge and 22 / 410 combos.

22lr / 20 gauge isn't bad. They mostly offer a 3" chamber version and virtually all savage 24 were fixed modified chokes.

A step

I really wish someone made a deer caliber centerfire / rimfire combo versus the rifle/shotgun combo.
Me too. They are great I have a 22 over 20 and a 30-30 over a 12. My kid has a Remington copy they are not made now either! :(

#7 ·
They do and have been for many, many years...the problem is that they're very expensive coming from the European Custom Makers...

The alternative is for a drilling (dreiling) 3 barrel gun--whether SxS shotgun or rifle over a single barrel rifle or shotgun...I have a 9.3x74mm dbl. over a 16 bore single and I have a 16 bore dbl. over 9.3x74mm single...They also come as three shotgun or three rifle and they can be all in the same bore/calibre or all three can be different 5.5/6.5/7.5 is one combo as is 7/8/9.3 with a 5.5 insert...You can add inserts to the rifle or shotgun barrels!

These guns came about because the Landowners would allow their people to own only one firearm, period! For self defense and big game hunting and bird hunting and feral hunting--one gun, that's it! So they added another barrel to anything they had; single to double, double to triple, triple to quad in a variety of chamberings to encompass all their needs and still remain within the law...Most common is/was the Cape--rifle/shotgun double SxS and by a major amount the drilling with the Vierling (4 barrel) dead last and since there have been only two or three five barrel guns made, ever, they don't count...You can get an insert for your shotgun barrel from Briley et al, that will shoot rifle calibres out of it to make any double shotgun into a combo...

German commercial makers with drillings and single shots, and Cape configured rifle/shotgun SxS or O/U...Krieghoff, Heym, Merkel, Blaser...Also check Drilling Hotline and CalPappas--mainly double but has had Combo/Cape guns and dealings...Custom makers by the droves will put anything together for you...

The problem is that here we either have the "Survival Rifle" .22 LR/410 gauge or the imported Valmet line from Russia that Remington imported and rebadged the SPR94 again a .22/410 combo...They might be great for small game hunting and short term survival but defense or hunting any size or distance would be really hard...Then there's the Savage 24, which hasn't been made in about what 20+ years, but came in some really nice combos eg. .30 WCF over 12 bore... So then if you can't find a Savage 24 or a Euro made gun you're screwed!

Take the plunge, go for a triple, a menage d'trois, join the big leagues, you won't be sorry--well, maybe you will when the tenth or twelfth drilling goes in your safe...

Full Stocked Steingass Drilling by Krieghoff

Blaser B95/97 O/U Rifle Calibre Chart
20/76 = 3", 16/70 = 2¾", 12/76 = 3" shotgun barrel over any ot these rifles barrels:

.22 Hornet, .222 Rem, 5.6x50R Mag, 5.6x52R, .243 Win, 6x6 R Frères, 6x70R, 6.5x55, 6.5x57R, 6.5x65R RWS,
.270 Win, 7 x 57R, 7 x 65R, .308 Win, .30-06 Springfield, .30R Blaser, 8 x 57IRS, 8x75RS, 9.3x74R,

My favourite calibre is the 7.7 x 57R or the .303 British

Hotline has this older model for sale that is great for elk, moose, bear--it's also the cheapest gun they're selling...
Thieme, Schlegelmilch, Nimrod, Gewehr
Side Lock Hammer Drilling with Weaver Scope
16x16 over 9.3mm $2200

The rest start at $4,500 used to $8,000 for a very plain Jane new one...

#8 ·
quality,few of a kind cost plenty,
i love drillings,it's probably the most brilliant concept for a rural homestead survival firearm ever devised....last year i saw a double rifle that was going to be imported from russia, bakial i think, chambered in 30.06 but it didnt happen, i think there was a problem with the adjustable jackscrew system they were useing to regulate the barrels.......

too bad i would like to see'um for sale here if and when they work out the bugs.......

#11 ·
the three barrel rifles seem interesting, but generally what I intend it for is just to carry with me whenever I go into the bush to log, check trap lines, clear trails etc.. so I can hunt on opportunity, the heavier the gun the less likely I will bring it and bring either a regular shotgun or rifle. I like having two calibres, because I could take a deer down with a slug, or use bird shot, or use the rifle for small game. the three barrel would make a seriously awesome survival rifle though.

#12 ·
#13 ·
There's a Baikal 7.62x39 // 12 gauge combination with scope mount on gunbroker. $1,200 is hard to lay the cash down on a baikal though. I'd probably hit the button for a $800 one.

Seekher, have you owned a 22lr insert for any of these rifles. I'd love a .308/12 gauge blazer with a 22lr insert for the shotgun barrel or even the rifle barrel too. I have excellent small game hunting by me. I hate to pass on a grouse while stak hunting for deer. That's why I shoot the .30-30. It produces salvageable birds with a decent shot placement. Might even borrow a 44 magnum and give it a try. The only problem is I refuse to do a over the hill line tree shot with a centerfire rifle. I am very cautious about it with a 22lr.

#16 ·
Seekher, have you owned a 22lr insert for any of these rifles. I'd love a .308/12 gauge blazer with a 22lr insert for the shotgun barrel or even the rifle barrel too.
I had and do have inserts, all three kinds--chamber, half barrel and full length...

Chamber inserts allow you to shoot a different shotshell in the existing--lots of 28 bore and .410 gauge fitted in 12s, they work quite well...

I have a 5.7×43mm/.222 Rem full length insert that works well in a 12 bore barrel or in a 7, 7.5, 8 or 9.3mm barrel as well as a .22 WRM full length insert that is quite accurate to my sights...It's all really based on how well the barrels were regulated by the maker...

My wife's favourite 16x16x6.5mm's left barrel crosses the right at 95 yds--doesn't matter in a shotgun but it certainly does in a rifle so the insert can only go in the right...By the way, barrels are regulated to print beside each other not at the same POA at a known distance...there should always be a gap between the bullets within iron sight and calibre intended ranges...

Rifle insert in shotgun

#15 ·
if your just wanting to have 1 weapon.because your liveing in canada i would look for something in a .22 / 308 or 3006 or bigger for grizzlies. specially if your wanting this as a bug out weapon. you need to beable to kill anything you might run into. and shotgun shells just take up way to much room in a BoB.

thanx jerry for the link to the inserts :thumb:

#17 ·
I want it for homesteading to bring with me when I am logging or checking trap lines or various other chores out in the bush, so I wont have a need to carry much ammunition, also in manitoba we don't have grizzilys, we have lots of black bears though, and polar bears if you go really far north by hudsons bay.. but I wont be anywheres near that part of manitoba. anyways for grizzily bear defense I would feel a lot more comfortable with a semi automatic or atleast a bolt action repeating .308, theirs to many stories of people not makeing their first shot a kill shot and having to follow up with another shot, I wouldn't want to be fumbling trying to load a break down with a bear chargeing at 35 MPH..

#22 ·
I hunt with a Savage 24V 30/30 over 20 gauge. I carry 3 inch buck for the 20 and a 170 gr 30/30. For the woods of middle Georgia where I hunt it is a good set up. In my BOB I have a Springfield M-6 Scout 22 Hornet over 410. I have Lee Classic loaders for both cartridges and I have some 45 long colt brass that I do a "light" load for using black powder round balls 45 cal. The 22 Hornet I have loads that ballistically range from 22lr class to hot 22 Hornet.

#24 ·
I have always felt the Savage missed out by not producing a 22 lr over a 30-06. This I feel would be the ideal airplane,boat, camp guns. While shotgun bottom barrels are fine for slugs at big game they are limited to @75 yards.
The problem was that they'd have to redesign the gun to handle the higher pressures of the .30/06...would have to redesign the lugs on the bottom and the release mechanism...

They wanted a multi-purpose gun not a double rifle so they made it over various shotgun barrels...

.30/30 over 16 or 20 bore with a .22 LR full length insert for the shotgun barrel and you'd have an ideal survival gun--ammo stored in the stock...

Rifle on the bottom, shotgun on the top and LR behind the butt plate in the cavity with the snare wire and fishing stuff...

#30 ·
This is a pretty old thread, I hope no one minds if I revive it :thumb: Ive been looking to get a combo rifle setup for sometime, mostly looking at the M6. That is until I learned of the savage 24. .22/.410 seems like a great emergency rifle caliber's due to the light weight and size. They would be the easiest to pack along with you. But the option to step up to even a .223/20ga almost seems like a no brainer, giving a better ability to take larger game, or even small game at a longer distance.

Can anyone compare the M6 to the savage 24 in .22/.410? as in someone with actual hands on experience with both models. How do the compare in accuracy, weight, ease of takedown, etc? Does the 24 have a cavity in the stock for a small cleaning kit and other survival essentials?The M6 is pretty tough to find and getting pricey, the 24 doesnt seem too bad right now. I see several of them on gunbroker in the $300 range.

#31 ·
I don't know anything about the M6, but Savage has recently come out with the Model 42. Right now it's only available in .22LR/.410 or .22WMR/.410. A guy from Savage told me on their facebook site that they are planning to expand the offerings to at least include 20 gauge, but that's still down the road a ways. Don't know what the rifle offerings will be. I would love to have a .243/12, but would take a .223/ or .243/20, if I could get it. I just don't want a .22/.410.

USSG still imports the Baikal combination guns, and they are available in some 12 gauge/centerfire combos, but they put the shotgun on top. That just seems backwards and wigs me out for some reason. I would have already bought one, if it weren't for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.