Survivalist Forum banner

Glock Blows up in this guys face

59K views 64 replies 30 participants last post by  SuckLead 
#1 ·
Well a few days ago i was testing out a few rent guns to see what i liked better and off to my far right hand side a man has his glock 40 blow up right in his face
here are some pictures

everyone ran to him and asked what happen... This makes me not want to fire my glock 19....:headshake

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't beleive reloads was the problem. Pistol cartridges use the hottest powder there is in the first place. At standard load, they are near max capacity by volume. I just don't beleive you can get enough powder in a .40 case to do THAT kind of damage.

Personally I think he had a barrel obstruction. It's the only real explaination I can think of. I have seen some really foolish reloading. Never anything like that. If it were a rifle loaded w/ pistol powder, I would beleive that. {Ive seen that!} But a pistol barrel is so short, most of the time excess powder just gets blown out the end. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't beleive it. He had to have had a squib load leave a bullet lodged in the barrel or something. A barrel obstruction would do that.

#6 ·
The squib load is certainly a thought Kaleb. Looks like there must have been some type of obstruction.

I have seen a few .40 Glocks blow at matches, not long after the .40 was introduced.

Those were induced by shooting high pressure lead bullets in the polygonal rifled Glocks. A definite "No-No".

Fast leading build up, narrowed barrel lumen, and Kaboom! :eek:

Not a good day...

TMHonfire;

Good pics and thanks! Any sign of a forward barrel bulge?

Prag

#11 ·
i did not get to look at the gun for long cuz the man over the range took it so he could have a better look, but did get them pictures from somone elses cell phone... i know shooting led in a glock is a big no no but i dont think he was using reloads....

#10 ·
By the looks of the ruptured case, and the blown out primer, it sure looks like an overpressure issue. More so because the majority of the damage is around the chamber. Most squib load damage is further down the barrel resulting in splitting and bulging.
This was something catastrophic right in the chamber. I tend to think possibly bullet seating or other reload issues may have caused this.

Who knows!?:confused:

#64 ·
You took the thoughts right out of my brain.

I've had an overcharged load go through my Glock 21 one time. It was a round I got care of Georgia Arms. The gun was fine after that, but it sure blew the sucker clean out of my hands and had the range owner running out to see if someone "had a grenade." No internal damage, though.

#12 ·
Reload . (They will never admit to it .)
Unsupported Chamber in the 40 Glocks .

All the damage started at the BACK of the chamber . Thats where the round let go first . If it was a squib first the barrel would have popped also .

Reload . ie; Gunshow special ammo .

PS and By The Way : Every Thing ( in this case guns ) man made has blown up at one point or another . Every make and Model of firearm has or will KB .

#13 ·
I saw this same thing once from a reloader who had reloaded his cases a few to many times, and they were to thin to hold the pressure, a few extra grains of hot powder and this is what it looked like. It wasn't in a Glock it was in a Ruger. He was using cheap brass anyway so that might have been an issue. Sardude is right, when it happens because of a blockage it is usually farther down the barrel, unless the blockage is right at the front.

#15 ·
No, not necessarily. The brass is held by the back of the cartridge in the barrel. When it wears, it does so on the sides, but not so much on the much thicker back where it comes in contact with the chamber. When it bursts, it does it like confetti. This is what I see in the pictures. Not sure if this is the reason, but if I were the smith I would venture to guess.

Brass ammo, doesn't look like Wolf. It seems to be hot loaded there was possibly a crack in the chamber before hand. I couldn't really make an assessment without seeing the loads and the gun. Just an educated guess, I would like to see what the smith who handled the pistols after the incident says.

#19 ·
Another Glock Kaboom. Looks like it blew right out the bottom where the case is unsupported. This is a more than occasional occurance with Glocks. One blew up in a friends hand two days ago. 10mm with factory ammo. He lucked out, no injuries to him. Another man I met at a gun show had a 40 Glock blow up and he was having his third hand surgery. Glock afficianados will go to great lengths to deny that their favorites can go bad and will blame everything but the poorly designed barrel. I'm sure my comments will set off a frothy defense of these Austrian gifts to hand and face reconstructive surgeons retirements funds. A quick check on a search engine for Glock Kabooms will surprise you. Here's just one story.

I didn't own a Ford Pinto, I don't base jump, skin dive with sharks, climb the outside of sky scrapers and I especially do not shoot Glocks. I have polymer, but it's an FNP-45, fully supported chamber.

If you must shoot those things, Get a safe replacement barrel like a Bar Sto.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

#23 · (Edited)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
I just bought a new Taurus -357-7 shot-#66SS. I use it 4 times when I opened a new box of Rem.357-124 gr. bullets. I took the first shot and it blow up. I found all 7 bullets. The bullet that went off, you can see that the firing pin hit it dead center. If you need any high res.pictures of the gun,
e-mail me at

from http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3582

here's another:

02-01-08 03:59 PM - Post#57626
In response to Hipshot

I just bought a brand new 608. Sometimes you get the bear... and sometimes the bear gets you! On my 4th shot on the first day out, the barrel exploded off the gun. A month later, still no replacement. Hopefully you'll have a better experience.
Good Luck.

Attachment: 100_0874.JPG (243.66 KB) 46 View(s)

and another:

Sport Shooter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, my take on a Taurus is not so hot right now. I had the 357 ss tracker blow apart in my hands Saturday at a public range while shooting factory PMC ammo. I only have burns and I am very lucky to have walked away from that incident. Not sure what I am going to do about it as of yet, but you can bet I'll never own or touch another Taurus.

==================================================
i guess no gun manufacturer is exempt from catastrophic mechanical failures.

Reactions: oakr
#29 ·
I've shot and owed a lot of handguns and I carry one at work (S&W M&P .40). I've also carried a few others before the M&P including a .38 Special. Therefore your assumption is flawed.

If I couldn't own a Glock, it would be a Sig Sauer with 1911 Colt being a close second.

#39 ·
Yes, but I guess everybody who drives a [ford] (what's a cheap car brand in the US?) also prefers a Ferrari. And because I'm not rich, I probably buy a glock, because you get good quality for the money. So what I'm trying to say is that you can't compare them.

#40 ·
Sure you can compare them. How many parts does a Glock have? And a Sig? How did they do in "torture tests" respectively? How many LE groups and agencies use the Glock? And the Sig? Why is that?

Where I live right now, I could buy a Sig for only $115 more then a Glock .22 and for about the same as a Glock 20 or 21 and I imagine that the same price can be had anywhere in North America.

#45 ·
Lol, the diffirences between Europe and the US. In Europe you can buy handgun for target shooting if you have the proper licences. A glock is around €800 and a SIG is around €2000. What are the prices in the dollars in your city?
These people, I believe are in Canada but sell to civilians and LE anywhere in N.A.

Wolverine Supplies

They have Glocks and Sigs for about the same price.(as well as some higher end, more expensive models)

The Glock Price List

The Sig Price List

They have:

- Sig Sauer SP2022, .40S&W, Night Sights, Blued, 106mm Barrel Canadian $ 735.00

- GLOCK .40S&W 4.49" (114mm) Trijicon Fixed Night Sight Black Canadian $787.95

#43 ·
For the record I HATE Glocks. They have a grip feel similar to a 4x4 post. That said, I think they are a quality weapon and the damage seen here is from faulty ammo.
To echo what someone else said, any weapon can do this. Plug the barrel or feed it bad ammo and you may end up picking metal {or polymer} out of your forehead!

#46 ·
Well, to be honest, I don't THINK of a Glock as junk. They are not. They are reliable and do thier job well. I just can't stand them. I can't stand the feel of them. I can't stand the look of them. I can't stand the idea of carring a pistol glamourized by a bunch of gang bangers or bunch of damn cops.
I'm sure someone will tell me what a sorry design my XD-45 is. THat's okay. It's an american privledge to publicly ridicule what we don't like. And that's what it boils down to. I don't think any of us 'Glock H8ers' really believe they are junk, becaue that's just not true. They are extremely well manufactured handguns. PERIOD.

Okay touchy feely moment of honesty is over...Glocks suck!!!!:D:rofl:D:rofl:D:rofl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.