Survivalist Forum banner

What % of your storage is in dehydrated/freeze dried foods?

• 10% or less.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • 10-25%

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • 25-50%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 50-75%

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • 75-100%

Votes: 1 4.0%

% of dehydrated/freeze dried food

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ActionJackson 
#1 ·
One of my many pet peeves, is when I read that folks are convinced, or really think it is nessacery to have large stockpiles of #10 cans or pouches of dehydrated/freeze dried food. I see that and think "What a waste of money!" I'm not talking in your BOB or what have you, I mean in reserve for X amount of years. You know, the folks who claim to buy $4000 worth of Mountain House. How much do you have??? Me, less than 10% of my stock.

#7 · (Edited)
Most of my food storage is #10 cans of dehydrated food (about 80%). I also have a giant stock of canned goods. I like the idea of having food with a 15 or 20 year shelf life. You never know if a time will come when there's a run on the supermarkets and food will be scarce.

I'm your living "pet peeve." I bought a $4000.00 pallet of mixed foods and I add to that when I can. I may never need it but it does give me a slight sense of security that my wife and I can eat for nearly 2 years without ever having to buy another dime's worth of food.

I also have three freezers full of breads, meats, sauces, etc.

P.S. If I lived a simpler life in a rural area and didn't have to work insane hours then I would probably find ways to dehydrate and store my own food but I live near a big city. My wife and I manage an apartment complex so I don't have the pleasure of having my own basement and garage. That being the case, I have to find other ways to prepare for TEOTWAWKI or major SHTF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.