Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No 90% of americans wouldn't die duaned Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 154 05-17-2017 11:49 AM
New & Improved Ways to Protect Guns & Optics From the Elements AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-21-2017 06:00 PM

Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Prepared

Default Protect hotmelt adhesive from melting?

Advertise Here

Is there a way to protect hotmelt adhesive from melting? I really like the stuff, but unfortunately, the temperature in my car literally made the stuff melt! Can this stuff be protected by gluing cardboard on the outside, kind of like cardboard plating for the glue interior?

The price for 25 lbs is usually around $70 and I was wondering if there is a competitively priced (per/lb) adhesive that works in a similar fashion.

What I like about hot melt:

1. Quick setting
2. Bonds quite well to most substances
3. Cheap
4. Indefinite shelf life

I read about high temp hot melt, but it's expensive and I heard that it's not much more heat resistant.

If going the hot melt route, I was thinking of possibly getting a 10lb case of this:
https://www.hotmelt.com/products/inf...ot-melt-sticks

However, at over $10 / lb, it's hardly competitive against the 64 oz package of https://www.golfworks.com/golfworks-epoxy-64oz/p/EPX32/
Old 05-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,368 Posts

Logic dictates that you should move to a cold climate which should alleviate your problem.

A solar powered A/C unit would solve the problem too.

Choose a different adhesive perhaps?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 AM
IRREDEEMABLE DEPLORABLE

Thanked 5,682 Times in 1,947 Posts

Why not 3m automotive adhesives?

I have a roll of molding tape I have been using for years. I keep it in a mylar bag.

Their 3M™ Weatherstrip Adhesive and the tape together for temp holding works well. Lots of used around the house as well. Buy the small tubes for $5. Clean the surfaces and the tape holds really well inside or out.

Trying to fit a product where it has no practical use or is out of the specs of the product, is fruitless in my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:

Old 05-21-2017, 06:05 PM
I give up

Thanked 9,874 Times in 2,770 Posts

I tried a version of the poly amide, high temp hot melt glue. Very poor results. The company selling it made all sorts of claims and charged a HUGE premium for it. Yes, it melts at 380 degrees, so it is a bit more temperature tolerant. I even used some in my engine compartment.

However, it's not a good glue, and did not adhere well to anything. And, unfortunately, it too gets soft in the heat. Completely failed in the car interior.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:25 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
I tried a version of the poly amide, high temp hot melt glue. Very poor results. The company selling it made all sorts of claims and charged a HUGE premium for it. Yes, it melts at 380 degrees, so it is a bit more temperature tolerant. I even used some in my engine compartment.

However, it's not a good glue, and did not adhere well to anything. And, unfortunately, it too gets soft in the heat. Completely failed in the car interior.
That's kind of what I thought. Oh well. Guess I'll be looking for a 24-hour binary epoxy. I like the binary stuff since it tends to not go bad as quickly.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,368 Posts

I used some 3M hot glue that came out of a giant sized piece of heat shrink,pretty bad ass stuff. It adhered really well to the floor,the bench and my project.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 AM
I give up

Thanked 9,874 Times in 2,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotterr View Post
That's kind of what I thought. Oh well. Guess I'll be looking for a 24-hour binary epoxy. I like the binary stuff since it tends to not go bad as quickly.
The poly amide stuff is also quite sensitive to humidity. It will deteriorate if not kept in a sealed container loaded with desiccants.

The stuff you listed may be excellent. I just don't know.

Here is what bothers me about hot melt glue: For an emergency headlight repair, I purchased a Stanley hot melt kit at Target. Just a quick and dirty way to reassemble a damaged plastic headlight.

The kit came with 2 types of glue. A clear all purpose stick, and a tan "heavy duty" stick. I used the tan stick. It's performance was incredible, and the headlight is still in use, 7 years later, never leaked. Even parked under the downpour of my home's roof!

I've never been able to find that product again. And nothing I've purchased matched the performance of that glue. I was able to mount vacuum cleaner electric motors with that glue, and it was strong enough to hold, even with the motor getting warm!

Edit: Stanley GS500, Formula II, super strength, "looks" to be the product I liked so much. I've ordered some from Amazon to see if it's the stuff. Melts at 410 degrees.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
The poly amide stuff is also quite sensitive to humidity. It will deteriorate if not kept in a sealed container loaded with desiccants.

The stuff you listed may be excellent. I just don't know.
Some golf club epoxy I tried actually kept the shaft of a copper and steel pipe together when used as part of a pressure washer rod. That stuff was pretty expensive, though. $20 for a few oz. I'm trying something I got for $30 for 64 oz now.
Quote:

Here is what bothers me about hot melt glue: For an emergency headlight repair, I purchased a Stanley hot melt kit at Target. Just a quick and dirty way to reassemble a damaged plastic headlight.

The kit came with 2 types of glue. A clear all purpose stick, and a tan "heavy duty" stick. I used the tan stick. It's performance was incredible, and the headlight is still in use, 7 years later, never leaked. Even parked under the downpour of my home's roof!

I've never been able to find that product again. And nothing I've purchased matched the performance of that glue. I was able to mount vacuum cleaner electric motors with that glue, and it was strong enough to hold, even with the motor getting warm!

Edit: Stanley GS500, Formula II, super strength, "looks" to be the product I liked so much. I've ordered some from Amazon to see if it's the stuff. Melts at 410 degrees.
I wonder what would happen if you take an ordinary acrylic 12mm rod (320 F melting point) and stick that down the shaft of a heavy duty (400+ F) hot glue gun. Am I correct that hot glue is basically just plastic?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-Whi...-/311742654672

Should I try this $4 experiment, or is it a bad risk for a pricey Surebonder 220?