Survivalist Forum banner

Modifying the modern Remington 870?

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  JDH 
#1 ·
As a quick mental exercise sort of thing:

What modifications would you do to a new in the box 870 now that everyone in the gun world is on MIM bandwagon and finding other ways to cut corners and cost if you wanted it as a defensive weapon?

I've formed several options and the more I learn the more I appreciate the logical answers over at AI&P Tactical! He seems to fall into the do what works camp without a lot of the BS you hear and see elsewhere.

The more I work on these guns the more I like them!

SD

#3 ·
Only thing I did for it was to buy a smoothbore slug barrel and a mag extension. I'm not into "tactical" derp.
I am not that big on tacticool either but some of the "tactical" products out there (depending on the application) will make a good rifle that much better.

Case in point, I have an 870 express magnum with an 18 inch barrel. Never really like the fixed stock very much so I put a collapsible stock with a pistol grip on it. Made a huge difference because I like a close fitting shotgun and the fixed stock was a little to long for me.

#4 ·
Tactical has never been my goal and I might of been heard referring to it as tactifool at times.

I've come up with a few things I normally to my 870's once I get them. Some of which is likely belt added to suspenders, but it helps me sleep better at night! :)

First I'm not sold on the police style metal trigger groups! I have both and my use and research says the poly ones hold up! Several reports of them being better in some ways like not breaking when dropped just wrong and actually staying cleaner during use.

I pretty much always change out the carrier dog follower spring to the #F16966 spring they use in the police guns.

I'm also MIM suspicious and change out the extractor to a nonMIM one.

Mag spring and follower gets upgraded.

The Mickey Mouse follower usually gets swapped with ones by S&J and the springs Wolff XP springs either generic ones cut to fit or preferably ones made for that application.

Factory mag tube extensions are fine, but I've also used Wilson plus ones and Nordic Components has some nice functionality.

I've tested several safeties and see benefits in a couple designs! The S&J one and the Wilson one both are at the top of the list. Van Comp likely sticks out too far which makes the S&J one a better choice. Wilson just enlarged the factory one. Both are easy to use in a hurry.

All guns get function tested and broken in with several rounds of shooting and tend to slick up fairly quickly after the original cleaning and eezox treatment.

Factory stocks work for me as do the Magpull ones which look odd, but work well! Magpull and Nordic make adding a light easy if it does night duty and should be considered if you happen to live in an area that gets dark at night.

I've got more time over a bead sight, but am fine with the rifle type sights on police 870's. I don't particularly love the ghost ring sights, but use them ok. I've changed one bead over to a big dot night sight and will likely do another as it seems to work well.

Triggers I leave alone! Factory trigger springs work fine, even better than the ones in the police trigger groups. I've seen some trigger work, but so far not impressed enough to pay my money for it!

In the end I get smoother running, clean looking 870 that runs well and is useful around the farm and in the dead of the night!

SD

#7 ·
Speed-feed tactical stock
Screw in Poly-Choke
Easy-loader carrier release
Oversize safety
extended magazine follower
Tac-Star 5-round magazine extension
magazine clamp w/rail
under barrel tri rail
Sling hook attachment - front
Sling hook attachment - rear
Williams Ace In The Hole Sight Set with Picatinny
Williams Aperture Twilight WGRS 3/8" Diameter with .150 Hole Long Shank Black
Laser/light combo
picatinny bipod
8-round side saddle
Bulldog 6-round buttstock shell carrier
S&J hardware bayonet adapter
OKC-3S Marine bayonet
GG&G tactcial SOP sling w/snap hooks

Just my opinion.
While I agree or at least appreciate your thoughts on many subjects we tend to diverge where it comes to guns!

You tend to hang way too much stuff on them and haven't kept up with the rapid advances over the past few years in this martial arts. I'm being this direct because I think your writing influences lots of people and as such you should keep current in this field since you write a lot about it!

A shotgun set up like this removes several of the advantages one seeks from the shotgun while weighing it down with several disadvantages not native to the breed.

A shotgun should be light and fast for close in work and not weighed down with lots of extras!

Speed Feed is fine, but no longer manufactured last time I checked! I've got several, but find the reload to be slow compared to other options, but likely good for keeping some slugs on board.

Chokes are fine, but most combat/defense length guns don't have them. Just choose something you can shoot a wide range of loads through!

Easy Loader is for Rem Auto Shotguns.

Some oversized safeties can make the gun less safe! (Specially for those who haven't perfected their handling skills!) Choose carefully!

Tailed followers are fine if quality!

Tac Star isn't traditionally the quality level I want on my guns and there are better choices! If you like rails etc look at Nordic Components.

Slings are likely personal choice , but I tend to make my own for several applications.

I'll be a bit harsh on your sights! Aperture sights (nor ghost rings unless your game is up) do not belong on a shotgun! Pretty much anything else is a better choice! Night sights are an option that is reasonable since it gets dark most places at least 1/2 the time!

A light should be available as needed and easily removable if possible! I've no need for a laser on a shotgun and running against a timer says it slows most down!

Bipod? No way no how! Extra weight to slow you down and take away from what a shotgun does!

Side saddle is OK, but 8 rounds it too heavy/cumbersome!

Butt cuff is fine, but can't be used with Speed Feed Stock specified above. Oh a neoprene one will last much much longer than an elastic one.

Bayonet and adapter once again added weight! My military shotgun has factory set up, but I'd never add one! Shotguns shorter is better hanging stuff off the end of the barrel neutralizes any advantages!

Slings on shotguns are controversial, but I like them. Mine are quite, comfortable and get used a lot!

To improve the compactness of this style of weapon buy an 870 PGO category weapon/other and built it up as a Shockwave with a 14" barrel! It's close range devastating firepower exactly as this style of weapon was designed to be!

SD

#6 ·
I've done this a couple of times. I'd add the magazine extension; however, on most of the models you have to go into the mag tube and grind down a couple of nubs to get the shells to properly feed.
Also, I'd add the Vang Comp big head safety and stainless follower. I'd grab one of the inexpensive TruGlo fiber optic sights for the front bead. Then, add a sling if desired and get to work shooting.

#9 ·
Not much is actually needed.

+2 mag extension (optional, good to have but not really needed +/- $50)

Flashlight attached (250L from Walmart taped on gun = $15) (Mandatory to ID targets in the dark)

Barrel shortened to 18 1/2" and a fairly big white bead front sight added (+/- $75 for gunsmith) (Mandatory for close quarters use)

#17 ·
As a quick mental exercise sort of thing:

What modifications would you do to a new in the box 870 now that everyone in the gun world is on MIM bandwagon and finding other ways to cut corners and cost if you wanted it as a defensive weapon?

I've formed several options and the more I learn the more I appreciate the logical answers over at AI&P Tactical! He seems to fall into the do what works camp without a lot of the BS you hear and see elsewhere.

The more I work on these guns the more I like them!

SD

Why not simply let JD build you the 870 of your choice?

#18 ·
I might at some point, but much of this involved improving gun I already owned or ones I got in trade or bought from someone.

I did buy some parts from him when I was building something a couple months ago and ended up reading some of his web pages on what his thoughts on shotguns are.

Since much or most of what he post is close to my thoughts on shotguns it was easier to point to good information already out.

SD

#20 ·
My train of thought on this is pretty simple.
My 870 sits beside the bed, usually for months at a time, without being touched. It's sole purpose is dead of the night, dark, half asleep and someone kicks the front door in. In this case a want something to grab, point in the general direction and shoot.
If I need a tactical stock with lights and lasers to go looking for someone, I have ARs built just for that.
Mine is simply an 870 express I paid around $330 for new. An 18" smooth bore barrel and a 4 round side saddle. Should work for it's purpose, and all brand new for less than $500.

#22 ·
Not sure what part of the country your in, but mud daubers and other assorted vermin have been known to build nest in shotgun and other weapons barrels that sit in place for long periods leading to less than optimal results when needed rapidly!

An oily gun rag put over the end of the barrel limits these problems and is an easy solution. I've on occasion even rubber banded one in place on a barn gun which had a harder life!

SD

#21 ·
Taking a peek at this thread again I realized I'd never responded to this!

Many think the police trigger group is better and preferred, but there are some knowledgeable folks out there who disagree! The poly is less likely to crack or break if your shotgun is dropped or otherwise abused and there are some reports of it staying cleaner during use.

I have both and have been totally pleased with the poly trigger groups one I've upgraded the dog carrier spring and the safety to my preferred specs!

SD

#24 ·
I was a Remington 870 armorer. I've rebuilt a ton of these. For a home defense 870, I recommend the following.

1) First things first, the chamber NEEDS polished. Most new guns have a very rough chamber do to cost cutting over at Remington. This is an absolute MUST on any 870 I work on, and I highly recommend it. A lot of newer guns will get stuck shells in the chamber do to lack of polishing the chamber. A little steel wool on a 12 gauge bore brush, chucked in a drill is all it takes. Just 2 minutes of gentle polishing with some oil on the steel wool. This modification is number 1, as I have seen so many stuck casings at the range. Its a problem. And Remington doesn't care to spend 2 minutes per barrel giving them a nice mirror shine.

2) The carrier dog spring needs replaced with the 870P/1100 spring.

3) The extractor gets replaced with a non-mim one.

4) I really like the 1 rd extension from Scattergun/Wilson, for 5 rounds in the tube. This is VERY handy and lightweight. Or if you prefer, put on the two round extension. This comes with the new magazine spring and follower.

5) The sear/trigger spring is fine. Its about 5 pounds on commercial guns, and about 8 pounds on police guns. Your choice. For a tactical gun, it might not be a bad idea to have the heavier spring. Your choice.

6) Metal trigger group vs polymer trigger group, I prefer the polymer one. It is actually more robust and durable than the metal one. The metal trigger group is a waste of $100. The metal one looks better if you want a better looking gun. Mine are tools and I dont care how they look.

7) Flexi-tab. If the gun is older and doesn't have a flexitab, then I would buy all the parts to convert it. I personally wound not use an older model gun without a flexitab for a defensive use gun.

8) Flashlight is a MUST on any and all home defense guns. We hear 10 stories a year where someone shoots at a shadow and kills their wife or daughter. Easily avoidable tragedies had someone just had a light on their gun. CDM gear and Elzetta make excellent affordable flashlight mounts.

#26 ·
I'd set it up like the 870 clone pictured here on the bottom.

1. Magpul moe forend
2. Inforce wmlx 800 lumen light
3. Vickers vcas padded sling
4. Nordic components +1 extension
5. Stock magazine spring
6. GG&G stainless follower
7. Timney sear with 3 pound spring
8. 870 police dog carrier spring
9. Magpul miad grip
10. Mesa tactical Leo adapter
11. Kynshot adjustable hydraulic recoil buffer
12. Magpul moe stock
13. Impact weapon components moe sling attachment.
14. Tacstar metal side saddle plate with industrial strength velcro attached
15. Esstac 7 shot velcro shotgun card
16. Limbsaver butt pad for magpul moe
17. Magpul sga front sling attachment

With this setup and of course the dimples removed from the magazine tube I can get 7+1 with most 2 3/4 shells.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.