Survivalist Forum banner

Creepy stories not from the outdoors

72K views 111 replies 77 participants last post by  CarolinaGurl 
#1 ·
Alright guys, i've read through most of the creepy stories from the outdoors, and i thought why not make a thread for the urban environment, or any other environment.

For example, any weird sightings, experiences, fights you have had, things you have seen and all that.

Not sure if there is a thread on this, but i thought it would be a good idea.

Cheers.

#3 ·
Have to agree with Nick: here in Birmingham, AL, the homeless people make the streets seem like "Night of the Living Dead" in some areas. I travel inside the city a great deal doing photography on the weekends and if they see you, like the zombies, many of them will get up, walk over to you, and start hassling you for change. Don't get me wrong; I've run into a few who were lucid, sober, and clearly experiencing a rough patch. I'm sympathetic and gave them some money, food, or convenience store items. The ones I get sick of are the perpetual drunk or drug addled who shamble about expecting $$ from anyone and get aggressive if you refuse.

#11 ·
My "zombie" moment came when I was doing a photo shoot in downtown Nashville (I used to do it as a side business). Anyway, I was loading up the truck post-shoot, when an obviously homeless guy came out of the shrubs and asked me if I knew so-and-so and pointed to a ran down apartment building that was adjacent to the parking lot I was in.

I told him politely no and he than asked me for some cash. In all honesty, I didnt have any on me (I learned a long time ago to carry the least amount of cash on me when going downtown for this reason). He told me that I owed him some money. I said "excuse me?" and he repeated himself and then added that "people have a way of disappearing around here..." :rolleyes:. I laughed a little and told him to get lost. He than said, "oh, and people get cut around here all the time," and reached into his pocket. That's where he fu*ked up.

I reached into my pocket where I had my featherweight .357 revolver. I said "yeah, and no one will notice a homeless guy gone, since you said people disappear all the time around here." He kinda stood there for a second and said "man, Im serious," and sorta stepped toward me. I pulled the revolver and said "me too" as I cocked the hammer back. He took off running and almost got hit by a car. Last I saw him he was running down the opposite side of the street toward Vanderbilt hospital.

Thats why Im always armed; be it rural or urban. Especially urban.

#4 ·
. . . any weird sightings.
Don't know if this qualifies but I worked in an urban city slum area and saw some interesting things - people holding conversations with telephone poles, that sort of thing, but . . .

One day, there sprawling in the gutter of a busy city street was an older drugged out Latino guy, naked from the waste down, huge toothy grin on his face, head resting on the curb, casually whacking off while making eye contact with the cop standing over him.

Put that in your brain & smoke it.

#5 ·
The day I arrived at my duty station in Long Beach, CA in 1990, I checked in. Since there was nothing else for me to do at the time, I went out to investigate the local beaches, and wound up at Seal beach, just down the road. While there, I observed a decent looking young lady enjoying a sun tan ... and less than three feet away was the bloated, decomposing carcass of a dead seal.

Sureley the young lady was aware of the presence of the rotting animal; it's reek carried for at least a block away - nonetheless, I refrained from drawing it's existance to her attention - I did not speak to her at all. Perhaps that is the reason she decided to lay out her blanket in that particular location, but if that is the length that one must go to in order to avoid unwanted attention, I would prefer to remain pasty and pale, IMO.

#10 ·
Once, the O'Leary's across the street from me had a weed growing in their front yard. For like a week. A weed! A real, honest to goodness weed! Maybe it was a dandilion, or something; I am not sure. Anyway, I wasn't going anywhere near it to get a good look. Finally, they got their landscaper, Jorge, to go pull it. Such a brave little man. I was terrified! I didn't know what to do!!!

#17 ·
I respectfully disagree. I'd say that 3/4s of the homeless are either mentally ill and/or junkies.

The ACLU has nothing to do with this!

Budget cuts from the Texas legislature does it in Texas, at least. They are trying to shift the costs of the care to cities, which are also strapped. I work within this system.

#13 ·
JHumphrey speak truth. The wifer booked us a hotel not but about 3 or 4 blocks away from Vanderbilt University. Got to the hotel. Soggy carpets. A smell I don't wish to describe. Canceled reservation. Left family in lobby while I got SUV. Out back a guy's eying me. Good I have chopped 9mm in pocket, round in its nose. Got to vehicle, no trouble. Then see whore come out of hotel kitchen and jump into Mr. Hinkey's old car. Yuck!

#14 ·
That area of downtown Nashville has actually been cleaned up a lot from what it used to be, but its still no place for out of towners, in my opinion. Its surprising, given that Vanderbilt University, Green Hills (kinda like Nashville's Beverly Hills), etc. is all around there (or within short driving distance), but its true.

All the junkies hang around down there and there are plenty of flop houses and such. It was a great location for the shoot, as that's what the client said. I had told them previously that the area was shady, but they insisted, so I went along, but I wasn't stupid enough to do it unarmed. In this case, Im glad I didnt. If I had been, I have no doubt he would have robbed me.

I laughed as he ran away thinking to myself: "What a stupid fu*k. Brought a knife to a gun fight...". Who knows if he even brought the knife, but there was nothing like the satisfaction of seeing his eyes bulge and that flight syndrome take over. Never seen a junkie move so fast in my life...

#15 ·
Over the years, I've had many odd things happen in my house, unexplained and unaccounted for things like things turning on by themselves, things being moved, etc. Anyways, I'll start by the 2 most recent ones.

About a year ago, it was really late at night and I had set my alarm and dreaded getting up in the morning. So I turned off my light with the tassel and went to bed. Then just as I was about to fall asleep, my light turned on by itself. I looked at my clock and it was about 30 minutes after I had turned it off and settled down. What was really creepy was the tassel was swinging back and forth like somebody had really jam-pulled it! It scared the s*** out of me. My parents were in bed and they don't do nonsense like that, even if they could I would've noticed the door open because I was just about to doze out as the light turned on.

Then another incident a few months ago. It was really late at night as usual, I did my routine and went to bed and fell asleep. Then a few hours later at around 2:30 am, I woke up to a light becoming brighter and brighter. I realized it was my tv that turned on. However, it was by itself! I knew it couldn't have been the remote because I set it on my tray that I moved over way out of my reach because I don't like bumping into it when I get up in the morning. The tv had the black and white static on like the power button ON the tv had been pushed. My remote will not turn it on like that because it only works on the direct tv box which turns it on with the tv but never static-y. Anyways odd things have happened in my house more than I care to count.

#16 ·
When I was in college I lived in a rundown trailerhouse. One night I was laying on the couch watching an old B rated horror flick. There was a heater vent in the floor right in front of the couch at the end my head was at. It was so close the couch though that I couldn't see it while laying down. The shut off flaps in it were broken and would swing freely and squeek a little when the blower was running. The heat was off though.
I'm laying there and hear the flaps squeek lightly. So I move on the couch so I can look over the edge at it, but find there is nothing there. This happens again with the same result, so I change ends of the couch so I can easily have my head where I can see the vent and TV, not really expecting anything to happen, but feeling a bit nervous about whatever is going on there. This time it squeeks and I can see it without moving on the couch and making noise myself. My skin goes completely cold and my hair stands up on the back of my neck as I see four tiny pink fingers reaching out from between the grate on the vent and grabbing at the "bars" on it. I grabbed a flashlight and looked down in there to discover a small opossum in the duct work. Apparently the duct had come loose somewhere under the house. Had maintenance come out the next day to repair it.
Those tiny fingers were the creepiest thing I've ever seen not knowing what they were attached to at the time.

#23 ·
As kids we used to go exploring a abandon hospital in the neighborhood.

Very dark, damp, paint peeling off the walls, overturned stretcher beds & wheelchairs.

Once we went down into the morgue part in the basement and I seen a dark figure move behind a windowed door in a backroom.

Yeah we ran so fast to get out of there. Never went back. Could of just been a homeless guy I know but still really freaky to see someone or something down there.

A older relative that I hunt with was actually born at that hospital. Someone told me they shut the hospital down in the first place due to negligence of patients or something of that sort.

A few years later they tore the old hospital down for development of some new homes on that ground. Someone I know is good friend's with someone that bought one of those new homes and guess what they say now?

Haunted.

#24 ·
There were street urchins that I frequently ran across when I was a Paramedic back in the very late 70's and early 80's, and later as a cop. One was a guy we only knew as "Asphalt". He would just go and lay down in the street when he got drunk or didn't feel good. Which was about every night. Sooner or later, some passing motorist would see a man lying in the street, and stop and call 911.
We as Paramedics, would get the call as a man down in the street. Naturally assuming he had been hit by a car or whatever, we'd arrive, lights and siren blaring. Then we would see it was "Asphalt". We would wake him up, give him a cigarette and he would walk off into the night. Usually, that's all he wanted, was a smoke.

After a while he saw that if he acted sick enough, he would get taken to the local charity hospital, and may get to sleep it off, in a nice comfortable bed. So occassionally he would get transported. Needless to say, this tied up an Ambulance that people might need in a real emergency.

A couple of the guys on another shift finally got tired of it one night. They said they would take him to the hospital, and they did. In another town about 75 miles away. They simply told the dispatcher that they sent him on his way, and were having mechanical trouble, and were getting the engine checked. They took off to another town and dropped him off at a hospital. He walked into the emergency room entrance, they drove away. We didn't see him for about 3 months. But he must have found his way back, because after that 3 months, he was back doing the same thing again. But we didn't have to mess around with "Asphalt" for quite a while. He quit letting the Ambulance pick him up after that. He didn't know where he might wake up.

"Asphalt" finally "bought it" one night, when he layed down in the street. He got run over by a drunk driver.

#27 ·
While fishing for salmon in a river that runs through my town, I caught a small silver or coho salmon and laid it in the rocks about four feet behind me. About five minutes later I heard a smacking/chewing sound and turned around to see two alley cats dining on my salmon. I shooed them off, and a few minutes later heard a sound behind me and turned to see a large raccoon running off with my salmon.

One time a friend and I went to the drive thru at the local KFC and saw a cougar in the brush less than two feet from the drive thru lane. The cougar was stalking the alley cats who were in turn attracted to the scraps in the KFC dumpster.

Back in the late 80's I used to work at Taco Bell and the alley behind it was the local hangout for winos. During my break I watched one wino polish off a 40 oz bottle of Olde English 800, then he ****ed in the bottle filling it up, put the cap back on and put it in a paper sack next to a curb. Another drunk came shambling by and thinking he found a free 40, grabbed the 40 and had half the bottle polished off before realizing it wasn't beer.

#30 ·
My brother was combining corn one night about 10-12 years ago. It was on a farm my grandfather had bought back in the 40's and was always a creepy place to visit - small fields surrounded by thick brush, forest to the north and ruins of an old farm at the top of the fields. At around 11 PM or so, he picked up some rock or mud so he had to stop and get out to go underneath and kick out the rock trap. (for you farmers, it was a Allis Chalmers Gleaner M5). While underneath a voice called out to him, "Hello!" He scrambled out and since it was moonlit could see clearly. He raced around the combine, but no one was there. He shut down the combine and went home for the night.

That same year he was checking on a hired man who was plowing for him at a farm at night which I can remember was always pitch black because of heavy surrounding forest cover. As he sat there waiting for the tractor to make its return run, suddenly the pickup was rocked up and down as if someone was jumping in the box. Out again he goes, and no one there.

The poor guy. The following year he and the hired man were hauling corn wagons at night. In one particular field, where they were about 1 mile from any road, they were just hitching onto a wagon gear when a guy, out of nowhere, casually walks towards them, walks over the hitch bar - never pausing - and then walks into the darkness. That may have been a nut... but a darn brave one!

I am Christian and my brother is not. He seems to be more vulnerable to these kinds of demonic activities. For awhile he lived in my grandmother's house. One evening, after coming from chores, he was sitting on the stair landing changing his boots. Suddenly a the sounds of heavy boots came charging down the stairs. He snapped up, but the sound stopped, and again no one there.

Strange going ons in Quebec Cda!

#31 ·
raccoons can get into anything and will if they even suspect they smell some goodies. I don't doubt that they have scared the bejeesus out of many a unsuspecting person/s that have decided to take their first 'wilderness advaenture'. or maybe a hikier/cycler stopping in an old abandoned farm building or some such. porcupines are about as bad. bears too.
that aside I have had some 'conicidences' that happened to me that were and still are after many years food for thought.

#35 ·
I saw two dudes die from sucking chest wounds in Dallas Tx a few years back. They tried to rob a guy and he got of 2 double taps center mass into each of them..
The were lying there coughing blood and dying. People were screaming to help them. I said in the Marine Corps they told us in combat lifesaver skills that was a sucking chest wound.. They aint gonna make it.. I hadnt seen no one die in a while. That brought back memories lol!

#38 ·
A few years ago I was on a very lonely stretch of highway in central utah at 3 am on my way to hunt ducks for a few days. It was the middle of december and the weather was terrible. Nature was calling and I didn't want to drop trou in the middle of a snow storm ( don't eat 7-11 burritos before a long drive). I made it to a rest stop that you could tell nobody had been to in a while due to the undisturbed snow in the parking lot.
As I was in the stall doing my buisness somebody kicked open the bathroom door and started making weird animal noises, growling and such. He started walking down past the other 2 stalls kicking the doors open as he went. I said "Hey stop it." as forcefully as i could, just so he would realize I was in there ( duh, my truck was the only one in the parking lot). The guy stood right in front of my stall and started scratching on the door and growling. I said again, "STOP!". but the guy just kept on. It felt like forever, it was probably only 30 seconds.

I put my already unholstered .45 up to the crack in the stall door above the lock, right as this guy looked through for a peak. It couldn't have worked out more perfectly to be lined up with his head. I didn't say a word. He turned around and ran out slipping and falling twice as he ran.

I stayed in the bathroom for another 10 minutes trying to get rid of the shakes after that huge adrenilin dump. By far the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. And the only time in 7 years that I felt justified in pointing my pistol at someone.

#40 ·
I know how you feel, to have that adrenaline dump. One night I was laying in bed in that suspended state of half asleep and half awake when I heard a noise on the other end of the house. I couldn't tell what it was but it was one of those sounds that freaks you out because you've never heard it in your house before. I stayed in bed for a few seconds and the noise continued.
I reached over and grabbed my handgun from the nightstand and removed it from it's holster. I was positioned (without moving) in a manner I could look/aim down the hallway. I brought the sights up and noticed that my hands were shaking almost uncontrollably. I could still aim and had no fear of not being able to act, it was just the dump of adrenaline. I knew my girlfriend was next to me and no one else has a key.
Since we leave a small lamp on in our living room, it sets up a silhouette advantage in my favor. As soon as I saw someone turn the corner I was going to send a few down the hall (into them). After listening and looking for a few minutes, my adrenaline subsided enough to sweep the house and investigate. I never did find out what it was and there were no foot prints in the fresh snow around the house. After thinking about it for a while, I learned that I wasn't necessarily afraid of hurting someone in my house, I was more afraid of who they were and what they wanted.
I hope I never have anything like that happen to me again. It was definitely the scariest few minutes of my life.

#41 ·
I wouldn’t necessarily consider this creepy in the spooky sense but more in the adrenaline dumping realm. This was about 4 years ago while I was a sophomore in college. It was an anomalous three days in a row starting on a Thursday. That Thursday my girlfriend at the time, a guy friend, and myself went to one of the biggest frat parties at our school during Halloween. During that party the NBA player Greg Oden showed up (who was an epic fail for the Trail Blazers… But I don’t even watch basketball). So after the party started winding down my group left and some of his crew or something left and they opened a window from their car and started shooting wildly in the air, everyone outside jumped a bit, not being sure what to do. I decided to promptly leave.

The next day I was with another friend of mine and we went to a party and then a haunted house. Leaving the haunted house I decided to go to my dorm, by the entrance were several girls it costumes going to another party, I decided to talk to them and just out of my peripheral a guy pulls a knife and puts it on my chest. He’s mad I am talking to his “girl” or something, me being young and fairly dumb, I did not back down and my guy friend had to talk us down from guying down another DEFCON level. He talked it over and we went on our way.

The last day, Saturday I was in another part of the city waiting at an ATM. The guy in front of me looked a little on edge and was taking longer than usual. I was with another guy and gal friend of mine, growing impatient in the car he walks out and yells “HEY!” He essentially looks like Rampage Jackson from the UFC and the guy at the ATM has enough and pulls his concealed carry on us. He slowly backs up and says a few things while I am saying “We don’t want any trouble or anything.” He eventually walks off and we get out of the area.

The strange thing is for the most part I have not had any experiences like that before those three days and after. It was like a weird spike in my timeline.

#42 ·
Not trying to hijack the thread, but in response to adrenilin dumps. I have been lucky enough to be in plenty of scenarios with my profession and through hunting, that I feel pretty capable of handling stressfull situations. I have come to accept that after the situation is over I am going to have the shakes for a few minutes. I don't know if it is just me, or if this is something that can be overcome. As of yet it has never hampered my reactions or performance. Its just after the fact... Maybe I'll start a thread and see if anyone has suggestions.

#75 ·
I've also had my voice crack pretty badly during codes, and I've had the shakes and the sighs after every single code. Sometimes it's worse than others, but that's just part of the normal method of coming back down off adrenaline's effects. Doesn't matter how many you've been through. It's not that you're freaking out and unable to deal, it's that there's a huge sudden chemical change in your blood stream and just about every organ in your body.

Nothing to be ashamed of just make sure it doesn't kick in until the danger is really over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.