Survival Formlua for success - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 05-15-2017 09:49 PM
Building A Prepping Library AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 01-11-2017 11:17 AM
Firearms Survival Combo: my POV DMR308 Firearms General Discussion 30 12-03-2016 09:00 PM
Smith & Wesson Fire Striker With Survival Kit (SWFS1) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-21-2016 10:14 AM

Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,314 Times in 460 Posts
Default Survival Formlua for success

Advertise Here

I would like to share my prepping strategy or formula which I derived from my martial arts training. Sorry ahead of time for the long post, but I hope you dig it. Let me know if there is another core concept I'm missing that wouldn't fall into one of these categories. This is a work in progress.

When I started seriously training in jujitsu my instructor had a formula to guide our training. It started with selecting what he called "high percentage techniques." Moves that had proven useful in many forms of combat. For instance a basic move like a standard hip throw is used in judo, jujitsu, western wrestling, MMA, military combatives, and in many other systems. It also is applied in competitions from young kids up to professional Olympic level athletes. Why because it just works, he would call this a core skill.
In the martial arts the first step was identifying CORE HIGH PERCENTAGE TECHNIQUES/SKILLS and to cut out or at least minimize training on anything fancy.

From a prepping stand point identifying and learning core skills that work or are needed in a variety of survival situations is a good strategy. These techniques are high percentage in that they have reliably saved people in a variety of situations. Certain things like starting fires, shelter building, water purification, wound treatment are core survival skills that can be identified and worked on, for example. This means I'm not trying to master everything, and don't feel the need to jump on the next new thing, just focus on good tried and true fundamentals. You only have so much training time, money and energy.

The goal was to train for any scenario from self-defense to various forms of competition, so even though you trained on core skills, you needed a wide variety of core skills to cover various scenarios. In other words you DIDN'T WANT TO TRAIN FOR ONE PARTICULAR EVENT. You wanted to be able to compete and adapt to any situation. Because you didn't know which skills would be important. A trophy in judo competition did you no good if you couldn't defend yourself in a fight, against a knife.

From a prepping stand point, to me the lesson is don't become so fixated on one scenario. The goal is to just develop core skills, that have a high percentage of solving a wide variety of problems related to disaster and preparedness. Even though you want to focus on basics, there are a lot of basics that must be learned. This makes you adaptable to the situation and gets you away from just working on your strengths, and fixating on something that may or may not save you. So for example even if I was training to compete in jujitsu, to be a martial artist I needed to train in knife takeaways also. To an extent my opponent would decided what skills I needed.

The prepping lesson here is, while it is okay to major in some things and minor in others, I need to develop core survival skills in a wide variety of topics. For instance, even if I planned on bugging in I should have maps and navigational skills in case the situation dose not go as I expect it. Or even if I expected to physically overcome my opponent, I needed to be able to apply self-aid medical treatment in case he got the better of me. I don't want to limit my options to one particular skill set or scenario.

The next concept I was taught is that there were THREE DECIDING FACTORS THAT DETERMINE WHO WINS in a physical fight.
1. Mental
2. Skill
3. Physical

MENTAL: To beet your opponent ideally you mentally have a more combative mindset, are prepared to take punishment and not quit. You also hit the books and understood the rules better. Or in the case of self-defense knew the law and how it is applied, and were morally well thought out in regard to what you are willing to do. For me this encompasses the spiritual component also. Basically be informed, use strategy, have a consciousness and be tough.

SKILL: You can want to win and be tough, but if your opponent is significantly more skillful at applying techniques, he can beat you despite your mindset. You're not always going to win just because you really want to, you need to have the skill to do what you want to accomplish.

Physical: If you are at such as skill level that you can easily and quickly beat your opponent, you can probably get away without being in peak physical condition. However if your opponent makes you work for it, then a deciding factor can quickly be who gets gassed first. Being physically fit might be an important aspect to being able to apply your skill, and mentally it gives you confidence knowing you can out last the other guy.

Ideally you have all three advantages on your opponent. You are mentally more of a fighter, have a higher skill level, and are in better physical condition. But if he for instance is in better shape than you, then you need to beat him with skill and mental toughness. If he has all three advantages on you, you might be in big trouble.

From a prepping stand point I try to prepare by being mentally strong/adaptable, and educated on realistic scenarios. I try to develop high percentage skills in various areas, and be physically fit.

For prepping I have added a fourth factor which is logistics. In the martial arts you are unarmed so you don't need logistics. But for prepping and survival things like stored food, water, ammunition, weapons and similar items are important. But instead of just having a bunch of stuff I want to develop high percentage skills at using that stuff, have the right mindset, and be in good physical condition.

To me it is a total package deal. I know this is a crazy long post, but thought I would share my prepping formula.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:11 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 31,721 Times in 12,638 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I would like to share my prepping strategy or formula ...
... From a prepping stand point identifying and learning core skills that work or are needed in a variety of survival situations is a good strategy.
... Ideally you have all three advantages on your opponent.
... But for prepping and survival things like stored food, water, ammunition, weapons and similar items are important. But instead of just having a bunch of stuff I want to develop high percentage skills at using that stuff, have the right mindset, and be in good physical condition.
... To me it is a total package deal. I know this is a crazy long post, but thought I would share my prepping formula.
You have an exotic strategy that you have developed to be your 'total package'. You seem insistent that you will be facing an unarmed opponent in combat.

You speak a little of storing food, water, ammo, instead of producing any of them.

It is a better plan as compared to those whose plan is to raid and loot others.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 12,802 Times in 5,554 Posts

My favorite drill sergeant at morning formation the next day after one or 2 of the Korean Rock Soldier I was working with outside the barracks put a reserve DI in the hospital.

"Some of you know karate, some of you might know Kung-Fu; well I know two things Crazy and Kashootie"

So we are outside working on the SMART Book, for them to learn the English commands. 5 ROC's and me in the weak light of the emergency exit door sign. Anyway the DI sneaks up on us and grabs one of the guys from behind. The guy fly's off the ground turns, kicks and hits the DI several times in like a nanosecond. I think the guy next to him might have gotten in a few hits too - hard to say they were fast as lighting. I checked the pile of unconscious DI, find a pulse so I run the 2 blocks up the hill to have CQ call an ambulance.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
You have an exotic strategy that you have developed to be yoru 'total package'. In planning for a variety of survival situations, you seem nearly insistent that you will be facing an unarmed opponent in combat.

Yet you speak of storing food, water, ammo, instead of producing any of them.

It is a better plan as compared to those whose plan is to raid and loot others.
No I'm not sure you understand my meaning. I developed this formula from the formula I use to prepare for an unarmed fight. It a strategy I took from my martial arts training, its not that I'm perepping for shtf by doing a ton of martial arts training. I hope this makes sense.

In regard to water, I have a Sawyer water filter, and I built a rocket stove or two in order to produce water. I'm not much of a gardener yet but I'm working on it with heirloom seeds. Some day I will be decent at gardening, I hope.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 34,462 Times in 11,640 Posts

Quote:
No I'm not sure you understand my meaning. I developed this formula from the formula I use to prepare for an unarmed fight. It a strategy I took from my martial arts training, its not that I'm perepping for shtf by doing a ton of martial arts training. I hope this makes sense.

In regard to water, I have a Sawyer water filter, and I built a rocket stove or two in order to produce water. I'm not much of a gardener yet but I'm working on it with heirloom seeds. Some day I will be decent at gardening, I hope.

He's saying your focus (while good things to know) aren't "source" and eventually you'll run out of resources.

I grew up rurally, (bit of a pyro) was a boy scout, etc.

The likely method I'll use to start a fire away from home:
(As I sit next to my woodstove)
One of the road flares I keep in my kit.
Because although I'm good at "one match" etc....
It's likely that when I need it.... I'll REALLY need it, and things will be "suboptimal"

I'm not to the point of FB. I don't produce my own foods +9/10x
(Do some)

I DO source most locally in very basic form.

The closer to the renewable source you are.... the better off you are.
This is FAR more likely to be important than building the perfect debris hut.

And no "cool methadiloogy" is going to impact that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,070 Posts

Well you have a plan and a methodology which is a good thing. I believe if a person is properly prepared the emphasis on survival skills shouldn't be such a large concern. If I have to run and hide for some reason, like my house is destroyed by invading aliens, well okay I can do that. However if the grid goes down I don't want to live like a bushman. Living like the plain folk would be much more comfortable.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 31,721 Times in 12,638 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
It does make sense.

I followed your post.

I understand how you formed your strategy.

You feel that you have a 'total package' strategy, you assume in every scenario you will be facing an unarmed opponent in combat.

You speak of storing food, water, ammo, instead of producing any of them.

A Sawyer water filter will filter drinking water, up to the point where it clogs. All filters clog. If you use it on clean water, it will last a long time. If you use it on murky water it will clog in a day. That is the nature of water filters.

A rocket stove does not 'produce' water.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
It does make sense.

I followed your post.

I understand how you formed your strategy.

You feel that you have a 'total package' strategy, that assumes in every scenario you will be facing an unarmed opponent in combat.

Yet you speak of storing food, water, ammo, instead of producing any of them.

A Sawyer water filter will filter drinking water, up to the point where it clogs.
All filters clog. If you use it on clean water, it will last a long time. If you use it on murky water it will clog in a day. That is the nature of water filters.

A rocket stove does not 'produce' water.
I'm really not following the point you are trying to make. Maybe it's me and I need another cup of coffee before reading this again. When I say it is a total package, I don't mean it to imply that I have arrived. Only that as I progress I think I can fit anything I do or learn into one of these categories. I'm sharing it to help find holes in my thinking, so I like the feed back. But I'm still not totally sure you get what I'm saying. I think there is an honest, unintended disconnect in what we are talking about, and I want to help resolve that by trying to understand your points better.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Prepared

One hole in your formula is how individuals can take advantage of their strengths and exploit an opponents weakness.

Let's take an example MMA fight where we match up in most categories in terms of skill, but I'm stronger and coordinated and you have better flexibility and cardio. I might focus on striking and push for ending the fight quickly before you can use wrestling/jits and wear me down for a decision.

One might say I should focus on my cardio, but the reality is that's an inherent weakness for me. I could train an extra 6 hours of cardio a week, but in terms of winning fights that time would be better spent practicing knees and elbows to leverage my strength and coordination.

There is also the question of time to specialize that can make a difference. Let's say we both have 4 years to train for a UFC sanctioned fight, current rules. I spend 4 years doing nothing but BJJ and you spend 1 year wrestling, 1 year boxing, 1 year jits, 1 year judo. Based on the history of UFC in the early years, I'm willing to bet my 4 years of BJJ would net me the win.
The Following User Says Thank You to souldier66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,630 Times in 502 Posts

OK. Concede you'd have me in PHYSICAL. Am female and over 60.

Concede you'd have me in SKILL.

Mental -- well if I get time to channel my inner menopause; it takes a second or two -- nope, I'd have you beat there.

But you are ignoring say, me pulling out a pistol and blasting you before you get near enough to do anything. This will be multiple shots since I don't trust my aim all that hot -- besides in the second I'm pulling the pistol out [or raising it if I already have it out, I would have channeled my inner menopause which would say essentially, 'hey, this is what I bought the bullets for'.

Now, ignoring the 'combat' situations which I don't believe will occur as much as a lot of folks.

If you haven't eaten in a week or two, your Physical is shot. [without me even channeling anything!]. Your Mental condition is probably fuzzy too.

If you've eaten or drunk something unsanitary [or not washed your hands enough] your Mental and Physical might be wishing I pulled out a pistol.

WATER: stored and with multiple ways to clean/purify it. I've got two sawyers, and they are my fall back methods.

FOOD: stored and hopefully a way to grow more. Plant and animal.

SHELTER : I live in FLA so we have a different outlook about that. It is the heat that is the nuisance. Which is why good water is even more important. And the mosquotoes.

MEDICAL : this covers sanitary issues to advance health. Regular medical stuff.

MENTAL will only get you so far if you don't have decent water [Would that be a skill?]

PHYSICAL will only get you so far if you don't have decent water [unless you have to haul it from somewhere]. It will help if you have to carry water to water what you are growing.

SKILL -- knowing how to get decent water [and have the devices to get it, including the SKILL to build a fire to boil it, and so on], but you want to have some stored up to get you through that initial 'opps, nothing is coming out of the faucet'.

Glad you are working on the growing skill. Work on both indoor and outdoor plantings.

MATERIAL - this is a sawyer, a hoe, stored food and water, FAK, etc. Including the over-emphasised firearms. Guns are absolutely last on the list. If you ain't got nothing then you don't need to defend it.

So I kinda go backwards.

If you plan and got some stuff, then your MENTAL can be in a good place.

If you plan and got some stuff, then your PHYSICAL can be in a good place [as in maintaining your body].

If you plan and got some stuff, then you've probably jammed some SKILLS in that -- though I suspect Murphy's Law will intervene and you won't need the SKILLS you've learned but other SKILLS.

BUT the simple fact that you have some SKILLS will improve your MENTAL situation.

And some SKILLS will -- hopefully -- keep your PHYSICAL healthy.

Do like the martial arts analogy though.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,313 Times in 1,232 Posts

I thought the OP is saying 20% of the effort produces 80% of the effect and to identify those leverage points. But those leverage points are different for different people. I would believe clean water and a waste disposal system should be on top.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katielyn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 AM
Prepared

I'm not really sure how OP applies the formula to prepping outside of the basic principle of developing core competencies in any endeavor, but that's not really breakthrough thinking.

I was more just pointing out in physical combat there are arguments because of individual strengths/weakness as well as choosing the right tool.

For me prepping is actually different where it's best to spread your time and effort developing many skills. I could easily just shoot guns, play hockey, go camping all day, but water purification, foraging, farming, land nav, carpentry are things I need to practice and add to my core skill set in order to feel prepared.

So in a way I guess I agree with his formula for prepping, but not fighting, especially combat sports.
The Following User Says Thank You to souldier66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,184 Posts

I assuming you are looking at the big picture...not how much rice you stash.

We all have habits....even life styles we are comfortable with...MA seems to be yours.

Putting it in order for you in an analogy, helps with the planing, discipline and follow thru.... in a general sense.

If it works for you fine....to me it is overthinking it.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 22,972 Times in 7,691 Posts

Martial arts are all fine and dandy until the day actual ARMED combat comes around. Martial arts will only go so far. When a guy becomes so focused on one aspect and makes that one aspect his whole life he fails to see all the other beauty around him. Forget the martial arts for a while. Take up a new challenge. Take up precision shooting, knitting, painting or poetry. All the martial arts masters did that. Now it is your turn to do it. Expand beyond what you are presently limited to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,910 Posts

The martial arts program has likely given you self discipline. In itself it is very limited as to it's survival benefits but the discipline can be used to advance. As to your request to fill the holes in your plan, you might want to focus on food production and food gathering plus developing more skills that you can barter.

As pointed out a few times, your present skills are invaluable under very limited situations, such as in a fight with unarmed opponents. The mental strength you may have developed along with it might be more valuable in most real life situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,472 Times in 3,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielyn View Post
I thought the OP is saying 20% of the effort produces 80% of the effect and to identify those leverage points. But those leverage points are different for different people. I would believe clean water and a waste disposal system should be on top.
yeah it is weird how everyone is missing the point. His point is what you wrote, that for any area there might be multiple strategies. Which strategy you choose is based on your strengths

For example:

The areas might be water, food, fire, shelter, clothing, medical, defense

The strengths of physical, mental, skill are maybe just a subset of strengths.
Maybe a larger list of strengths might be:

Money
physical
skills
time

In the area of water

If you have money but no time, maybe you buy a bunch of filters and a large rainwater collection system

If you have skills/time but no money maybe you learn how to make a primitive filter from scratch

If you have location, maybe you live near a fresh water source that is guaranteed to not be contaminated

For community maybe you make agreements with people that have renewable fresh water

In the area of defense:

community - you focus on organizing your community instead of your personal skills

money - you buy a lot of force multiplier weaponry (drones, tanks, missiles) and hire people who have skills

Time/skills - you learn combat skills yourself

location - you move to a remote location where no one will ever come

etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I would like to share my prepping strategy or formula which I derived from my martial arts training. Sorry ahead of time for the long post, but I hope you dig it. Let me know if there is another core concept I'm missing that wouldn't fall into one of these categories. This is a work in progress.

When I started seriously training in jujitsu my instructor had a formula to guide our training. It started with selecting what he called "high percentage techniques." Moves that had proven useful in many forms of combat. For instance a basic move like a standard hip throw is used in judo, jujitsu, western wrestling, MMA, military combatives, and in many other systems. It also is applied in competitions from young kids up to professional Olympic level athletes. Why because it just works, he would call this a core skill.
In the martial arts the first step was identifying CORE HIGH PERCENTAGE TECHNIQUES/SKILLS and to cut out or at least minimize training on anything fancy.

From a prepping stand point identifying and learning core skills that work or are needed in a variety of survival situations is a good strategy. These techniques are high percentage in that they have reliably saved people in a variety of situations. Certain things like starting fires, shelter building, water purification, wound treatment are core survival skills that can be identified and worked on, for example. This means I'm not trying to master everything, and don't feel the need to jump on the next new thing, just focus on good tried and true fundamentals. You only have so much training time, money and energy.

The goal was to train for any scenario from self-defense to various forms of competition, so even though you trained on core skills, you needed a wide variety of core skills to cover various scenarios. In other words you DIDN'T WANT TO TRAIN FOR ONE PARTICULAR EVENT. You wanted to be able to compete and adapt to any situation. Because you didn't know which skills would be important. A trophy in judo competition did you no good if you couldn't defend yourself in a fight, against a knife.

From a prepping stand point, to me the lesson is don't become so fixated on one scenario. The goal is to just develop core skills, that have a high percentage of solving a wide variety of problems related to disaster and preparedness. Even though you want to focus on basics, there are a lot of basics that must be learned. This makes you adaptable to the situation and gets you away from just working on your strengths, and fixating on something that may or may not save you. So for example even if I was training to compete in jujitsu, to be a martial artist I needed to train in knife takeaways also. To an extent my opponent would decided what skills I needed.

The prepping lesson here is, while it is okay to major in some things and minor in others, I need to develop core survival skills in a wide variety of topics. For instance, even if I planned on bugging in I should have maps and navigational skills in case the situation dose not go as I expect it. Or even if I expected to physically overcome my opponent, I needed to be able to apply self-aid medical treatment in case he got the better of me. I don't want to limit my options to one particular skill set or scenario.

The next concept I was taught is that there were THREE DECIDING FACTORS THAT DETERMINE WHO WINS in a physical fight.
1. Mental
2. Skill
3. Physical

MENTAL: To beet your opponent ideally you mentally have a more combative mindset, are prepared to take punishment and not quit. You also hit the books and understood the rules better. Or in the case of self-defense knew the law and how it is applied, and were morally well thought out in regard to what you are willing to do. For me this encompasses the spiritual component also. Basically be informed, use strategy, have a consciousness and be tough.

SKILL: You can want to win and be tough, but if your opponent is significantly more skillful at applying techniques, he can beat you despite your mindset. You're not always going to win just because you really want to, you need to have the skill to do what you want to accomplish.

Physical: If you are at such as skill level that you can easily and quickly beat your opponent, you can probably get away without being in peak physical condition. However if your opponent makes you work for it, then a deciding factor can quickly be who gets gassed first. Being physically fit might be an important aspect to being able to apply your skill, and mentally it gives you confidence knowing you can out last the other guy.

Ideally you have all three advantages on your opponent. You are mentally more of a fighter, have a higher skill level, and are in better physical condition. But if he for instance is in better shape than you, then you need to beat him with skill and mental toughness. If he has all three advantages on you, you might be in big trouble.

From a prepping stand point I try to prepare by being mentally strong/adaptable, and educated on realistic scenarios. I try to develop high percentage skills in various areas, and be physically fit.

For prepping I have added a fourth factor which is logistics. In the martial arts you are unarmed so you don't need logistics. But for prepping and survival things like stored food, water, ammunition, weapons and similar items are important. But instead of just having a bunch of stuff I want to develop high percentage skills at using that stuff, have the right mindset, and be in good physical condition.

To me it is a total package deal. I know this is a crazy long post, but thought I would share my prepping formula.
Assuming you don't copy paste all those from somewhere, that is kinda complicated formula for me to digest (I happen to be mildly retarded person)

Could you please elaborate further what kind of SHTF have you survived and how you do it? And by SHTF, I'm referring to any kind of disaster here, both nature or man-made, for example that could be, flash flood, earthquake, tsunami, volcano activity, political riot, industrial accident, or maybe power blackout, or loss of internet access to both Facebook & Google perhaps? (discounting any TEOTWAWKI scenario such as giant meteor strike, alien invasion of ET variant, or other ELE kind) And how does this formula of your could be applicable to such situation?
Thanks beforehand
The Following User Says Thank You to varuna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Hunter

Guys, I'm not talking about preparing for an event where I need martial arts! I'm already pretty well prepared for that, and did it by using the above formula.

I'm talking about applying that same formula for overall prepping in general. In other words, for example: In self-defense/martial arts, I think it would be foolish to be PHYSICALLY fit and think therefore you have a plan to protect yourself. Better to beat your opponent MENTALLY by either predicting his behavior and avoiding the situation before it happens, or use your words to deescalate. And if you are initially ambushed be tough enough to stay in the fight and never quit. Also have the SKILL at countering he moves and putting him in a position of disadvantage before he has a chance to hurt you further and before you do run out of gas. However in case the situation does not go your way and you find yourself in a prolonged struggle, or you need to run/climb to get away, PHYSICAL fitness is still an important component of the formula for success.

From a prepping stand point I apply the same formula to say that I want to avoid getting in confrontations or into trouble. So I use my brain MENTAL, to predict realistic scenarios, and have logistics I need before hand so I have beans, bullets, band aids and such so I don't have to struggle in a survival situation. However if these things are taken from me, depleted or lost for any reasons I want to have SKILL at survival without these resources. Core Skills like basic gardening, foraging, medical, yes even martial arts, skill at arms, map reading, and every other category I can imagine. I'm not trying to master every aspect of this skill and be the best map reader in the nation, just core skills as it applies to that activity. To be well rounded and a functional generalist, who specializes in a few things. For me I happen to specialize in martial arts, not because I think it is the most likely scenario, although as a cop it often is, but because I enjoy the activity more. However despite the fact my pan is to have everything I need, if an emergency arises like a gun fight, physical struggle, extended bug out, medical where someone needs to be carried, I want to be PHYSICALLY fit enough to handle any of those situations as it pertains to prepping.

Also I should have mentioned that the system I practices primarily is judo and jujitsu which by its nature is about the philosophy of not battling it out with your opponent on equal terms, but remaining flexible, and adapting to his attack, to use his energy and resources against him. As opposed to head to head attrition warfare it is the guerilla warfare of martial arts. A mark of a good grappler is someone that is not over committed to one move or one position, but he emotionally and physically gives up a bad position, and calmly adjusts to something else that will work.

From a prepping stand point, being mentally adaptable is important to me. Its not about what I want, but what the situation presents me. I use this to remain mentally flexible in prepping. I want to bug in, but the situation dictates I but out. The advantage goes to the person who can adapt to the situation mentally and spiritually and just do what needs to be done. In the same way people will be devastated if they lose modern conveniences.

In the same way I would let go a of an unsuccessful armlock and move on to my next technique with a positive mindset, despite the fact I might have put a lot of time and effort into setting up that lock, I want to be able to mentally and spiritually adjust to the lose of modern conveniences. While others are in the anger or bargaining stage, I'm already activating my preps and moving on to what is next. Its a flexible, adjustable, positive mindset that is not overly committed to one strategy but just to the overall idea of survival by whatever means, with in the real of what I'm mentally prepared to do.

This post is NOT about me training in martial arts. Its just a formula I took form my martial arts training.
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
yeah it is weird how everyone is missing the point. His point is what you wrote, that for any area there might be multiple strategies. Which strategy you choose is based on your strengths

For example:

The areas might be water, food, fire, shelter, clothing, medical, defense

The strengths of physical, mental, skill are maybe just a subset of strengths.
Maybe a larger list of strengths might be:

Money
physical
skills
time

In the area of water

If you have money but no time, maybe you buy a bunch of filters and a large rainwater collection system

If you have skills/time but no money maybe you learn how to make a primitive filter from scratch

If you have location, maybe you live near a fresh water source that is guaranteed to not be contaminated

For community maybe you make agreements with people that have renewable fresh water

In the area of defense:

community - you focus on organizing your community instead of your personal skills

money - you buy a lot of force multiplier weaponry (drones, tanks, missiles) and hire people who have skills

Time/skills - you learn combat skills yourself

location - you move to a remote location where no one will ever come

etc

Well said sir!

I just offer that in relation to the OP's methodology toward prepping, by mimicking his MA training, he is more suited to determine his own outcome: The "attack plan" comes in 3 things Mental, Skill, Physical, and with regard to his personal prepping, insert a type of prep when he talks about opponent in the original post.

IE - He uses his 3 step stratagem to battle and ward off opponent ... in this case opponent = Lack of Food.

Mental work - learn how to garden, understand seasonal plantings, do I need a rotational plan, what are good regional crops....

Skill work - Practice, plant, collect some seeds, Collect seeds from harvest

Physical - be in enough shape to work a patch of land. It ain't just throwing seeds on the ground and praying for rain.

Anyway... this is how I heard it in my head. I liked the post OP...
good stuff. +1

JT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustinTexas For This Useful Post: