Survivalist Forum banner

U.S. Marine Corps Mountain Survival Course/Survival Training School of California

9K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  TENNGRIZZ 
#1 ·
*As the admin has not yet let us post in the merchant section, we are posting this thread here, as we believe it applies.

After a national search for survival instructors- while restarting the mountain survival course at the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center (the program was ceased for two consecutive years)- the Marine Corps asked our Chief Instructor (Thomas Coyne) to provide a 10 day training course to their very own Survival Instructors- and a handful of mountain snipers jumped on board as well.

We successfully completed the course yesterday morning, and wanted to share some of the pics with the members of survivalistboards. We have to say: we we're beyond impressed with these men and they are easily the most highly skilled students we have ever had. Within minutes of being taught a new trap-they would have game in it...only minutes after a bow and drill lesson- men had their own kits formed from the local vegetation and were making fires... It's true: these men are 100% dedicated to being the best and that's why they are.

Also, please don't think watching videos and reading manuals can truly prepare you for a real life wilderness survival emergency, it is not like tinkering around the campsite. So, if you may be your own first responder, if you may NEED these skills; seek highly qualified instruction (just as you would with rock climbing, First aid/CPR, or other similar skills). If the U.S. Marines believe the training is necessary, you should too. Thanks for viewing and we welcome questions and comments!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
FYI, even though we are a paying merchant account: for every post we make about what our school is up too, we'll be making an instructional post as well. Thanks again, and let's start rolling this snowball of real world life saving knowledge down the hill...

#3 ·
I went through the two week USMC school at Pickel Meadows in February, 1981. It was the only time I've ever awakened one morning and sat up with more than 8 inches of snow over my bag. The rest of my platoon was still asleep, we looked like about 25 snow-covered mounds. :D:

It was an awesome experience, and I'm glad that other guys will now get to experience it again.

#4 ·
Instruction Saves Time

To quote stsc1 "please don't think watching videos and reading manuals can truly prepare you for a real life wilderness survival emergency, it is not like tinkering around the campsite"

This is excellent advise and the truth. I started this survival gig way back in the 70's and learned a lot by trial and error. Thankfully, there were many old trappers, prospectors, veterans and backwoodsman still alive who would show me the 'errors of my ways.' To learn a wilderness skill from someone who has mastered the skill takes 1/10th the time that trial and error does. It does not have to be a "survival school" setting but at least someone, or ones, who have real experience in the backwoods. Reading and study are also good but these are perishable skills if not practiced in a safe but realistic setting. Now, when it comes to first aid, holy doodle man, this changes all the time as better and more to the point techniques are discovered. Get trained by a recognized body such as St John's, and then up grade at least every three years. If you don't believe me just look at the changes in CPR in the past 5 years. I guess what I am saying is that here is no substitute for good instruction.

#11 ·
I was here in 2009 prior to our deployment, and immediately following WTI. Some of the hardest men I've met nearly died in those mountains, we were stalked by mountain lions, we slaughtered our own food. We moved from 75 degree afternoons into snow drifts. Our machine gunners had it the worst. One of my buddies stayed in, and is now an instructor. Good times, kinda lol

#14 ·
Money. And probably not as much emphasis on mountain warfare since the draw down in Afghanistan. Attitudes likely changing with a possible trip back up to the Chosin looming on the horizon?

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ
#13 ·
We use to laugh at our civilian survival instructors when they would talk about bear defence. We were all armed with FNC1 rifles. They got the last laugh when we where doing the rock climbing training ,stumbling about ,while they flitted about the side of the mountains ever so gracefully.

#15 ·
Really enjoyed the school, but after winter backpacking on the AT since I was 12 I really enjoyed the low temps when compared to PI in the summer. We had guys from up north who had never spent any time in the woods before and many of them got into hunting and backpacking just because of the school. USMC best training in the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.