Its time for yet again - another Mosin rebuild thread -- - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 950 05-23-2017 12:42 PM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 210 05-19-2017 03:15 PM
*Official* Hurricane Matthew Thread - Gut check time for FL, GA and both Carolinas Justme11 Manmade and Natural Disasters 791 11-08-2016 05:20 PM
The Bolt Knife Thread (U.S.A.F. Pilot Survival Knife) LostViking Knives, Swords & Axes 28 11-06-2016 03:25 PM

Old 05-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Oops - its gone again ?

Thanked 76,748 Times in 30,496 Posts

Advertise Here

Well do your homework -- I bet you've heard that before
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Target Shooter

Did homework, bought it on ebay couple years back, its no longer listed.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Oops - its gone again ?

And whoooooooooooooooooo made it ?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Looks great! The only Mosin I have is a SAKO M39. Stock was trash but I was lucky enough to find an unissued Finnish stock for it.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:10 PM
Target Shooter

I found it on ebay, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Muzzle Brake Compensator MNB-1
$80.00

This thing goes on and off just like a bayonet, works fine, 100% feed back.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Oops - its gone again ?

When I looked into those -- I didn't like the "off E-Z" part

After about 3 hours total - as clean as this was when I got it -- not counting the sawdust from the great range box project --- I'd guess about 2 table spoons of cosmo leached out ?

Then a few Tilex W/ bleach squirts & hot water rinse's --

I mite give it a real lite & quick chemical strip ? - I dont like using harsh stuff on the wood

I'm very pleased to see -- except for the factory re-build repair of the first 4" of the nose ---- "No Cracks"

But theres no initials carving - in fact no cartouche's of any kind ?

This time I'll try Not to sand out all the dings and dents
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Oops - its gone again ?

Why would I give a newbie my e-mail address - when theres tons of ways to post up pic's ?

Someone just made my "eye-ball" list
Old 05-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Practical Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
The bayonet sighting issue as you call it was their mantra that they should always be prepared for close quarters fighting -- meaning the bayonets "Stayed on"

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo when they were initially sited with them on or extended -- "one part" ( worth repeating -- "One Part" ) of the barrels harmonics were affected --

It still amazes me how the idea of "Re-Sighting" - just is beyond comprehension to some

If you did your homework - you'll know that trying ye-old corking of the barrel at different spots was they're ideas of "dampening" - some vibrations
Ok, I respect your opinions but that is what they are opinions and they are clearly based on a preference for keeping the gun in a close to pristine condition. Now, I can respect that but we're advising a guy on what is more of a gun remanufacturing than a restoration / preservation. Once you do anything beyond routine maintenance and light cleaning your we'll beyond a piece that is intact as far as collecting goes. Furthermore, there is no need to be condicending to others who's thoughts you differ with.

If you did your homework, you will find out the following. 1st, the Russian's were and still are a utilitarian type of people. So almost every thing they do is based on "make it work" mind set. They would have expected the grunt on the front to learn his rifle and adapt. 2nd, this is a gun from WWII! A war that began with the Russians in many ways behind the bell curve in technology. They were trying to make good tanks, ships and planes small arms were an afterthought. If you doubt that, I'll refer you to the AK47, where the 47 is the year the design was completed, right at the tail end of the war. 3rd, The sniper program was "if the guy shoots good enough give a little better training and a scope for the gun and send him out". They did not teach gun accurizing, shoot solutions or the like. Hell, most Russian snipers worked alone most of the time. 4th, 91/30's were designed for the colder climate in Russia. Their barrels are relatively thin steel and as a result heat up quickly. So, shimming them with cork for vibration is a bad idea because the barrels are surrounded by the stock. This means the cork will only act as an insulator keeping the heat in. Lastly, repositioning the front sight is an easy fix but it dose not allow for the barrel heating up with repeated firing and it causes you to potentially spend a great deal of time and ammo finding the sweet spot.

If your going for pristine clean it and store it. If your accuracy tuning it do what you can afford. I was just offering suggestions you can do easily and cheaply that are the least invasive to your gun.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM
Practical Prepper

Check that muzzle break. Some are for M44 or 53's only. I Just mention it so your safe.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Oops - its gone again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirherc View Post
there is no need to be condicending to others who's thoughts you differ with.
Condescending as in spelling it correctly ?

Ya-have no idea

P/S -- play with the others -- in different threads ---- done --