Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venezuela people need our help right now. elZ Manmade and Natural Disasters 146 05-05-2017 09:37 PM
venezuela johbren Financial Forum 30 02-02-2017 02:06 PM
Meanwhile in Venezuela... Sean_6399 General Discussion 0 07-31-2015 01:53 AM
What Everyone Is Ignoring In Venezuela Shank Mares Wife General Discussion 10 04-25-2014 11:11 AM
Meanwhile in Venezuela ... real wowwee Political News and Discussion 10 03-26-2014 08:07 AM
70% of Venezuela blacked out Slats Manmade and Natural Disasters 57 09-10-2013 06:20 PM
Venezuela George Newbill General Discussion 1 10-08-2012 10:40 AM
Coming soon... Russian missiles in Venezuela Lady Bug(ging) General Discussion 26 07-25-2008 08:20 AM
Venezuela's Clown at it again madcritter General Discussion 15 01-27-2008 04:46 PM
Venezuela shawn General Discussion 3 06-26-2007 11:14 PM

Old 05-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Wow. These are real developments and if more Cubans will be found I think things will change for the better for the protesters since nothing unites more a nation than foreign interference. That being said Maduro and all chavistas (Chavez himself) are traitors to their people. So they should have a traitor's faith.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,478 Times in 743 Posts

Don't worry about what others think the Venezuelan people deserve, amigo. What sins you and your people have committed, you are paying for. Do not concern yourself with the judgements of fools.

Muchas gracias para las cartas. My Spanish isn't the best but I'm grateful for your postings. Nothing tells preppers what to expect like real life. Buenas suerte a ti y su familia!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Deplorable & Proud of it

Thanked 14,067 Times in 6,574 Posts

...a traitor's faith? Something with a double cross, maybe?

Old 05-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
...a traitor's faith? Something with a double cross, maybe?
That is for the Venezuelans to decide.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,107 Posts

So many there with such good ability. But why don't they get up and at least WORK for it. Has that system crashed so badly that one cannot even work for a living?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:55 PM
I travel light

Thanked 1,650 Times in 510 Posts
Post Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
If this is picked up by the International news, Cuba may feel the need to either react or make a statement.
Yes, my advice through the networks was that, keep the guy in custody, well hidden, until someone appears to look for him, and be prepared with your cameras all over around, and PERISCOPE activated. The ENTIRE WORLD should know this. BTW there is 2600 more troops going to Tachira as I type, and the politicians talk about peace and love. Itīs more than sure that there will be cubans.This is going to be an excellent tool for getting ourselves out of this mess for good.

Iīve always thinked that the soldiers beating badly to their own people are the worst kind of cowards. Simon Bolivar even wrote a curse over the troops that turn their weapons to the people that they should be protecting!.
More on that later, have to go now.
I have to work a lot today so will post tomorrow again the most recent facts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Hiker

One question that I am not sure was put here. Is there any trading with silver (or gold) happening now in Venezuela's streets, as in a barter system?
Or Precious Metals disappeared and nobody saw any from some time now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 03:07 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 20,106 Times in 6,647 Posts

I've always told people you can't eat gold or silver. When everyone is poor and starving, those precious metals won't mean much. The precious metals I own are just a way to diversify some wealth. I do have some junk silver coins to use in case there is a need for them later, but I doubt that will even happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,651 Times in 4,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musibike View Post
So many there with such good ability. But why don't they get up and at least WORK for it. Has that system crashed so badly that one cannot even work for a living?
Yes, it has crashed that badly. Very much so.

Edited to add: The government confiscated a lot of the farms and allowed them to go out of production, and the remaining farms do not produce enough to feed the population. Any food coming into the country is confiscated and given to the military, who sells it on the black market for as much as they can get for it. People are beginning to starve as there simply is not enough food in the country. International aid was offered by a couple of different countries, but the government has refused to accept it.

Guns are being taken from private citizens and are given to armed gangs in exchange for the gangs putting down riots. The armed gangs are also breaking into houses, shooting people on the streets to rob them, etc. I saw a video of a policeman who was present at such a shooting: it happened in front of him The policeman simply walked away.

The citizens are rioting about every day, now. The armed gangs throw tear gas and sometimes shoot into the demonstrations, but the demonstrations and riots continue.

The military and the politicians and the upper class are getting very rich very fast, as hungry people will pay anything for food or medicine, and the people making money off of the situation are moving their wealth out of the country ASAP because it is obvious that the government is going to fall.

Most people, like Greg, are just trying to avoid the violence and provide for their families.

Most of this info I got from Google, though Greg is saying how it is affecting the ordinary person.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Generals discuss the likelihood of using snipers on demonstrators: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...151329772.html
Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 PM
I travel light

Thanks to all for your support. KansasTerri is right on what she says. Weīre not living in a big city; we are located in the most peaceful place in this times in the country.
In the big cities there have been already 57 deaths, something unbelievable.

As we are relatively close to a frontier, there are imported products like sugar, flour, oatmeal, pasta, and other stuff at sky high prices, but we have them available, even in some places powdered milk if youīre lucky (liquid milk is expensive at it consumes much faster). Iīve managed with other jobs like translations, thesis consulting, writing articles as a freelancer to get some cash, and that has kept us dodging the bankruptcy and hunger.

I want to add, Survivalistboards.com has had a lot of responsability in keeping us healthy and well fed: the advices collected here, including looking for a 2nd income source and investing in equipment like freezers, a genset, water tanks, communications, tools, a lot of information that I took (and more important, put to work together) from here, and taking it to a practical level has allowed as to cope more or less with this situation. Having lived in Caracas several years helped a lot(made me a street wise man, from the naive country boy I was), and having a country girl (who never was naive btw) as wife certainly helped but the mind setup (always was there but somehow hidden) needed to finish the job, was, letīs say, enlightened and shaped by SB, so to speak.
Although we were preparing for this kind of situation, itīs been already too long, and most of our supplies have diminished now, barely enough for a week or two, maybe three.
That said, the situation in the other big cities on the opposite side of the country, like Caracas, Maracaibo, Merida, San Cristobal (border with Colombia) and Valencia are chaotic. This is going to be worst and worst, as this is a wear process. There have been National Guards deserting, like Paul Briceņo, a lieutenant in San Cristobal, and they said 82 others but thatīs not confirmed. I have found some pictures of some cuban guy I told you about, but itīs not reliable information.

I know (because some acquaintances have asked for help) there is a lot of people selling silvery, great books, PCs, laptops, tablets, expensive pictures, original sculptures, big screen TVs, even cars, motorcycles, and a lot of other good stuff at bargain prices. I myself could buy 2 years ago some good stuff, like an used video game for the kiddo at a ridiculous price for Xmas. The boy sold it because they were leaving the country. Weīre not yet at the bottom that Argentina suffered (their economy was more city based than ours, think); and showing gold and silver in the streets nowadays is stupid (we donīt even use jewelry, not even fake). If a robber doesnīt screw you, more than sure a police will. And Iīm not lying, nor exagerating. What we do sometimes is trade, food or other stuff; my boss needed some toothpaste, I needed an air conditioning work (I have delicate equipment that must be at 23°C to work) and he came to repair it; made a good price, very good indeed, and he received some toothpaste bought at bulk before the mess (My mistake; donīt allow to anyone to see your stockpiled preppings. Seriously). And this was so important that we identified other problem with the feeding line of the A/c, he told me this weekend he will come and check it, no charge. Solidarity is important these days. Thereīs a lot of people creating new business, mainly food production. We canīt do it because of lack of space, but however at least some herbs we will produce. Citronella is good for avoiding mosquitoes, a vector of very nasty diseases here in the tropics. Found some lemongrass, excellent for prevention, mixed with a little ginger and honey.
I am sure there is somehow a vibrant precious metal underground market, but itīs mostly controlled by the military selling illegally our gold, as raw mineral. No need to explain more.
But I think the most important advice these last few days are about the stablishing of a survival network. Why? because if you lack some money, and you found letīs say powdered milk in some place, you text a partner, he sends via electronic transfer the money for your package, and one for them. You pay later, in a few days because inflation is rising, and you have someone texting you about a 36 kilos pack of corn flour; he already found people to buy 16 kilos; you canīt buy 20 kilos but find 10 people who can buy 2...you get the idea. Itīs the same for tires, car batteries, and everything imported. And I mean all. Because the dollars needed for paying overseas are controlled by the thugs governing, and the money quota is "assigned" only to their collaborators with fake enterprises. Now do you understand why weīre so..."upset"?

Responding to Musibike:
We were able to make a living until 2 1/2 years ago maybe. Inflation started to rise with the bad management of the funds, and all the evil was on the loose.

Now my salary is definitely not enough for the 4 of us; government rations are not constant, forget about that; thereīs too much people and too little food, they send first to the poorest people, who believes will vote for them.

Without that small 2nd income...We would have had to sell everything, just like many people is doing now. And have even some saved for the airplane tickets if things keep getting bad. I will make an extra effort, selling old toys and some stuff I had stocked, because seen my small pantry almost empty (canīt buy canned food, is very expensive now) because the moment will come when the food starts to be much scarce here in this city, and the store owners wonīt sell it, but keep a stock enough for themselves for the time they believed necessary and close the store by bankruptcy, despite the risk of being jailed and stolen by the NGs/PM. At that moment...if your pantry is not able to keep you for a while, youīre officially screwed.

Ask what you want to know.
Good nights!.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Survivor

Greg, if you put a little crushed lemon grass in a box with a small opening you might attract a swarm of bees. I have bees, and it is a trick we sometimes use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Survivor

It is possible that Maduro has done something right: he says he has arranged to import grain from Russia. https://www.rt.com/business/388916-v...wheat-exports/

It might be too late, though. I suspect he cannot get it into citizen's hands fast enough. I get the strong impressions that Venezuelans do not WANT to topple the government as much as they simply want to eat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,845 Times in 2,991 Posts

Quote:
It is possible that Maduro has done something right: he says he has arranged to import grain from Russia.
self preservation can be quite a motivator.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,227 Times in 1,880 Posts

He only needs to feed his side to stay in power.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM

60 000 tons of wheat per month are marginal numbers. It's only 720 000 tonnes of grain per year, for comparison Venezuela in 2015 consume 680,000 tonns of rice, 1.65 million tonns of wheat and 3 million tonns of corn (by USDA data).

SOURCE
https://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20G...a_3-3-2016.pdf

For me, more important news is how they pay for import. We know that Russia as payment can take control package of shares in state owned oil monopolist if Maduro stop their debts payment. So, shares in other govt control companies? Even if Maduro regime fall, Russia stll have rights to companies in country...

Topple the government isn't thing what you want participate, if you fight for survival on daily basis. Not enough food and electricity, armed bandits on streets and crumble basic services (especially healthcare) etc limit the need for higher order from Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uweron For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Survivor

Uweron, you are right. If I did the math right it works out to between 4 and 5 pounds per person per month. They will be glad to have it, but it is not nearly enough.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 PM
I travel light

Hi all.
Iīm a little bit tired to post something very long. Tension of these last few days is claiming its toll, guess.
This has been a constant in this government, winding the food production when, after doing the maths as KansasTerri did, you find out that itīs just 0,3 kgs of black beans per month per capita, for example. And a lot of other half informations alike, just to tell the people what they want. Next week will start the general strike all over the country. No stores, no shopping, no nothing(but I guess we will be forced to go to our daily jobs anyway). This is bad. I donīt know how bad, but I read a flier that they say they will loot shops that defy the strike and open to sell, and public transport, taxis or buses found working will be destroyed on sight. Kind of violent if you want, but it will be the moment, the inflexion point to bug in with a good oiled defense tool close enough.
I never though things were going to come this far. Iīm mentally prepared though.
Thanks God the kids are living their lives as usual and donīt have experienced those horrendous experiences other childs are having in Caracas and other big cities.
Weīre planning now our exit. Brazil seems to be the most adequate destiny. Trinidad is more likely to send us back, they canīt afford to absorb a lot of refugees. Our BOL at 500 kms from here was robbed a few months and itīs no longer safe, according to my dad. Itīs too close to populated zones anyway, just 12 kms.
I have to sleep now, tomorrow is going to be a long day, I think.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 PM
Survivor

I suspect that a general strike will hurt the common citizens more than it will the wealthy.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,995 Posts

Quote:
I suspect that a general strike will hurt the common citizens more than it will the wealthy.
If one is smart, when a general strike is called he will show up at work to do the job he wants most. With any luck the striker will be replaced.