Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perfect survival weapon Laufstahl Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 32 08-23-2015 05:25 PM
Budget survival weapon + ammo bpdh Firearms General Discussion 35 06-01-2014 07:59 PM
combat and/or survival weapon set up homefront Firearms General Discussion 63 01-08-2014 01:59 PM
The perfect survival weapon proudpatriot66 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 84 11-03-2013 12:53 AM
Finishing up my all purpose survival weapon therichardpowell Shotgun Forum 35 02-13-2013 10:02 AM
.410 good survival weapon among others BugOutBoy91 Firearms General Discussion 63 10-27-2012 11:55 PM
Best All Around Survival Weapon AK8139 Ladies Section 92 05-21-2012 02:48 PM
What is the most versatile survival weapon? Jochoa Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 80 04-04-2012 10:01 AM
M1 Carbine as a Survival Weapon 89LSC Military Weapons Forum 119 11-06-2011 11:21 AM

View Poll Results: The Best Survival Weapon.
Recurve 240 28.74%
Longbow 144 17.25%
Compound 141 16.89%
Crossbow 144 17.25%
Slingshot 78 9.34%
Blowgun 8 0.96%
Muzzleloader 80 9.58%
Voters: 835. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2016, 03:08 AM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaudd View Post
Ah I understand, my only concern with a compound is how much space would all the extra parts take up?

"though you may not see them, bowmen are at hand"
-Garavon
It depends on what kind of bow you have. Mine is bare bones. I don't have a balancing weight, sights, on-bow quiver, whisker biscuit, or any of that. Just the riser, limbs, cams, and strings. It's not glamorous, and I'm not a great archer by any means, but it's a lot better (for me) than conventional bow designs.

I suck with a recurve mainly because I have less time to aim with a recurve than I do with a compound. The compound locks into place at full draw, unlike with a recurve or longbow, which is way better for me and makes the potential hassle of restringing worth it to me.

I'm a soldier, I'm trained to aim carefully before firing the shot, and I carry that conditioning with me through every projectile weapon I've ever used. Missing the target is unacceptable to me. I know that probably sounds stupid and/or lazy to real archers who have done the damn thing for a hot minute, but I'm a rifleman, and the "one shot; one kill" mentality never truly leaves. The compound bow gives me that extra time to aim.

If the compound fails, I'd go with a recurve because of its compact size, and I'd train with it regularly to get good, but for now I'm honestly a lazy POS and I'll stick with what works for me at the present. Between the transition of a compound and recurve, I have an orchard, and can live off the literal fruits of my labor until I get good enough to procure meat again.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Best Survival Weapon? Poll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Seven View Post
It depends on what kind of bow you have. Mine is bare bones. I don't have a balancing weight, sights, on-bow quiver, whisker biscuit, or any of that. Just the riser, limbs, cams, and strings. It's not glamorous, and I'm not a great archer by any means, but it's a lot better (for me) than conventional bow designs.

I suck with a recurve mainly because I have less time to aim with a recurve than I do with a compound. The compound locks into place at full draw, unlike with a recurve or longbow, which is way better for me and makes the potential hassle of restringing worth it to me.

I'm a soldier, I'm trained to aim carefully before firing the shot, and I carry that conditioning with me through every projectile weapon I've ever used. Missing the target is unacceptable to me. I know that probably sounds stupid and/or lazy to real archers who have done the damn thing for a hot minute, but I'm a rifleman, and the "one shot; one kill" mentality never truly leaves. The compound bow gives me that extra time to aim.

If the compound fails, I'd go with a recurve because of its compact size, and I'd train with it regularly to get good, but for now I'm honestly a lazy POS and I'll stick with what works for me at the present. Between the transition of a compound and recurve, I have an orchard, and can live off the literal fruits of my labor until I get good enough to procure meat again.

I really like your points here, they make a lot of sense but I would like to point something out, I have a 65" Hickory Longbow and after training with it for a year, missing the target rarely happens. when I first started I could honestly barely hit paper at ten yards because I didn't know how to aim, but at 20 yards, I have missed maybe 1/100 shots. the main contender for choosing a bow for me would be, that the best weapon is the weapon your trained with. which for me is the bow. and also, holding a shot, I can't disagree that compound bows can hold shots better then a longbow, but with my 40# longbow, after practicing intensely for a year indoors and out, getting used to that poundage I can hold back my shot for a decent amount of time honestly. but hey, these are just my thoughts, nothing against yours

-Garavon
The Following User Says Thank You to michaudd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaudd View Post
I really like your points here, they make a lot of sense but I would like to point something out, I have a 65" Hickory Longbow and after training with it for a year, missing the target rarely happens. when I first started I could honestly barely hit paper at ten yards because I didn't know how to aim, but at 20 yards, I have missed maybe 1/100 shots. the main contender for choosing a bow for me would be, that the best weapon is the weapon your trained with. which for me is the bow. and also, holding a shot, I can't disagree that compound bows can hold shots better then a longbow, but with my 40# longbow, after practicing intensely for a year indoors and out, getting used to that poundage I can hold back my shot for a decent amount of time honestly. but hey, these are just my thoughts, nothing against yours

-Garavon
Don't get me wrong, long and recurve bows are definitely great weapons in the right hands. I know it sounds lazy or chicken-****, but I just don't have the time to train regularly with the old style bow. I can pick up my old compound bow after months of storage, train for less than an hour and be right back to the proficiency I was at prior to storing it. Compound bows are a newb's bow, which for novices like me who prefer rifles, is the better option.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,433 Times in 2,976 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Seven View Post
Please tell me you're joking when you say slingshots are illegal in NY. I live in the Democratic People's Republic of California, and I don't know anyone here who wouldn't say that's going way too far.
You can't conceal carry a slingshot in Florida.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Prepared

I voted recurve...but I think the best way to get protein is with fishing gear if water is available.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:32 PM

Any stick bow, practice, practice, practice. Muzzleloader is good because you can make powder and bullets out of your surroundings if your crafty, mechanical tend to break sooner or later.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Ready, willing, and able

Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,873 Posts

Not knowing primitive weapons as well as other people on this forum I chose the recurve. However upon reading further I change my mind and go with longbow. The reason is with a bit of skill and practice you can make every component of the longbow with relative ease with things found in the wild.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Ready, willing, and able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Boy View Post
You can't conceal carry a slingshot in Florida.
How do you carry one concealed in the first place? Stick it in a backpack?
Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 PM

+1 sharp stick

Never runs out of ammo
Old 01-02-2017, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,433 Times in 2,976 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke 22:35-38 View Post
A slingshot with a folding wrist brace will easily fit in a jacket pocket. As a kid I would put a Barnett Black Widow in my right pocket and ball bearings in my left.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 11:59 AM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Thanked 1,094 Times in 332 Posts

None of the choices listed by the OP are worthy of consideration.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Prepared

Your brain-- Don't leave home without it.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Ready, willing, and able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordmahn View Post
Your brain-- Don't leave home without it.
Too many people are leaving their brain already.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:44 AM

I believe longbows are all about instinctive shooting.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,107 Posts

What is a recurve?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musibike View Post
What is a recurve?
This:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:37 AM
I love this forum

Recurve - easy to maintain and repair more power with less effort

Longbow - easy to maintain and repair requires more strength for higher power

Compound - very hard to maintain provides power with less effort near impossible to repair in a survival situation unless you already live in the middle of nowhere and have your shop/tools on hand.

Crossbow - hard to draw/cock unless it has a hand crank, very hard to maintain and repair with out a workshop and tools.

Slingshot - easy to maintain and repair or even make a new one hard to get accurate with limited power mostly just small game.

Blowgun - easy to make, maintain, repair hard to get accurate with limited power and exhausting to use.

Muzzleloader - a fun toy far to limited and difficult to maintain and repair and if you miss there is no follow up shot.

My choice is obviously the recurve bow also wise to learn how to repair it make a new string for it and even make the bow itself as well as arrows.

a great weapon not on the list is the Henry AR-7 survival rifle that packs up in its own plastic stock that is water tight and floats. with up to 3 10 round mags thats 30 rounds of semi-auto .22 LR
Old 05-20-2017, 05:43 PM

I choose a recurve as out of the choices given, it is the best one for where I live. A fiberglass recurve stands up well to the climate here, unlike many different materials. I have the ability to replenish arrows and make arrowheads as needed, as well as fine cordage. This area also has dense forests and brush. A longbow is not as maneuverable, and my shots don't require a heavier bow, as I am only using it for small game close up. Being of the fairer sex, I don't have the draw strength or the stature for a longbow, either.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 7,092 Times in 3,061 Posts

A functioning, rational, cool thinking brain.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke 22:35-38 View Post
A slingshot with a folding wrist brace will easily fit in a jacket pocket. As a kid I would put a Barnett Black Widow in my right pocket and ball bearings in my left.
Yorkshire Boy, you got ball bearings? ****, all WE ever had as kids was ROCKS? That's some fancy ammo, right there!