for the EMS.Fire, or even those that keep a fairly stocked med bag, question. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping your feet warm? Red Dirt Walker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 62 02-16-2017 01:04 AM

Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 28,814 Times in 9,546 Posts
Default for the EMS.Fire, or even those that keep a fairly stocked med bag, question.

Advertise Here

What brand Rip away Bag do you use? Ive already replenished my gear that goes in the bag, But the sticky part, the Rip away I had is no longer in production. Patriot Performance materials.

I had stopped at a accident on my way home bout 3 weeks ago, first on scene, I started applying first aid till EMS got there.(deep ditch off road, quite a few don't quite make tha turn and end up in the water at the bottom) Had a bleeder. well, as the onlookers grew, My bag walked away with the crowd after EMS arrived.

everything got hauled up and set down.

My fault really, i was to busy to watch my stuff. forgot where i was, didn't figure anyone would steal from a accident scene. and I had just bought new stuff for the bag. upgrades.

anyway, not to cry over spilled milk, Ive looked at a few bags, most the cheaper ones seemed flimsily, trying to match the quality , or exceed the bag on the rip away i had, and I cant find it, not the few places i been.

what brand do ya'll recommend?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM

http://elite1staid.com/Products/Medic.aspx

I'm sure there are higher grade set ups available but, this is what I use. Supplemented with additional gear. Good starting point. Not a Navy medic bag but, not bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tacamo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 PM
CASTIGAT RIDENDO MORES

Thanked 11,848 Times in 3,355 Posts

I have one of the basic Condor type on my GHB, but also have a dedicated bag from County Comm that stays in the truck.
Depends on how much you're looking to carry, know how to use, etc...
Sorry you lost yours, and good on you for helping. Just make sure you're not doing anything you're not trained and competent in.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmedman For This Useful Post:

Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 11,964 Times in 3,014 Posts

I have a few and they're all based on the USGI IFAK. In fact most of them are built with MILSURP IFAK pouches (or SAW pouches) and the inserts that go with them. This was the first one I built but I now have a few with CAT tourniquets in them:

For other gear I have some rip away ones (but I don't see the point for that in a vehicle IFAK?)

The military is moving to a more low profile IFAK like this one (not my picture)

so I'm trying a Condor knockoff for a battle belt and plate carrier:

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-191053.aspx

The Condor one is, compared to the milsurp IFAK, lower profile and is rip-away. The whole insert can be removed from the back with either hand. It seems to be less bulky on the back. Cost is almost $30 though which is 3 times more than the older milsurp types which work just as well in most cases.

But in my vehicle is the older GI type. If I wanted to carry more supplies (which is a good idea) I'd look for a milsurp medic back, or just get a chinese Condor or the like. The Condor stuff is good, IMHO.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:20 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
I have one of the basic Condor type on my GHB, but also have a dedicated bag from County Comm that stays in the truck.
Depends on how much you're looking to carry, know how to use, etc...
Sorry you lost yours, and good on you for helping. Just make sure you're not doing anything you're not trained and competent in.
I dont and wont. keep em stationary if the vehicle is not in danger of sliding in the river, hook the winch to it if it is, direct pressure for bleeders and keep talking to them to keep em from sliding into shock. its about a 14' drop to the swamp in that spot, landings can be special. as many go in right there, you would think they would install a guard rail. all it takes is one tire on the soft shoulder and your over....
i dont overstep what i got certs for.

the CAT i hated to replace the worst. i had just gotten a new one, and shears im still after as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,494 Times in 2,968 Posts

If you're talking tear-away IFAK pouch, the Condor version is actually pretty solid. I own one and it compares favorably with several issue USGI versions I also own. It's cheaper to just buy the non-tear away version for vehicle carry... unless you have a specific surface in mind to attach the tear-away version.

Bulk supplies for a vehicle kit fit nicely into any small gym/athletic bag. I just use a cheap red one from Wallyworld with Red Cross & EMT patches Velcroed on. It's got carry handles and is quick to deploy from your vehicle to accident scene. Full length zipper opening so getting at contents is easy. Small items & OTC meds organized in flat plastic compartmentalized storage box (the kind you'd use for storing nuts/bolts/crafts/fishing tackle). Bag has plenty of room for actual splints and large dressings.

Alternatively, the old M3 Tri-Fold Combat Aid Bag can be found (new) for about $30 and has similar volume, plus numerous pockets and internal storage options for medical supplies. I have one of those staged at home. Set it up when I completed my National Registry test for EMT. Have updated contents over the years, but it's still a not bad medical bag that holds waaay more than any IFAK sized pouch.

Sorry about your kit getting swiped while you were doing the right thing. Some bystanders are just worthless turds. Any possibility that EMS inadvertently policed it up at the scene?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:00 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 35,674 Times in 11,734 Posts

+1 on Condor.

The Condor bag I carry is a bit larger than the IFAK tear open pouch.

How terrible that some lowlife stole your bag when you are helping the injured.
This country has really gone downhill.

Here is the kit I carry in the vehicle.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...44&postcount=8
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,597 Times in 2,084 Posts

Somebody stole your bag from an accident scene??? That's unlike the SC I remember.

I kinda hate people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Endiron For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
If you're talking tear-away IFAK pouch, the Condor version is actually pretty solid. I own one and it compares favorably with several issue USGI versions I also own. It's cheaper to just buy the non-tear away version for vehicle carry... unless you have a specific surface in mind to attach the tear-away version.

Bulk supplies for a vehicle kit fit nicely into any small gym/athletic bag. I just use a cheap red one from Wallyworld with Red Cross & EMT patches Velcroed on. It's got carry handles and is quick to deploy from your vehicle to accident scene. Full length zipper opening so getting at contents is easy. Small items & OTC meds organized in flat plastic compartmentalized storage box (the kind you'd use for storing nuts/bolts/crafts/fishing tackle). Bag has plenty of room for actual splints and large dressings.

Alternatively, the old M3 Tri-Fold Combat Aid Bag can be found (new) for about $30 and has similar volume, plus numerous pockets and internal storage options for medical supplies. I have one of those staged at home. Set it up when I completed my National Registry test for EMT. Have updated contents over the years, but it's still a not bad medical bag that holds waaay more than any IFAK sized pouch.

Sorry about your kit getting swiped while you were doing the right thing. Some bystanders are just worthless turds. Any possibility that EMS inadvertently policed it up at the scene?
no, a couple of em helped me look around for it, 1 even called me at tha end of tha day. it got picked up.
I know endiron, not the one i remember where you didn't lock your doors. now seems more are in a hurry, and another's misfortune is a business opportunity.sad state of affairs.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Prepared

I know you were looking for a bag, but I actually just keep my med kit in a zip lock freezer bag that goes in my EDC.

It's cheap, sturdy enough to hold the contents, water proof, see through and it's less weight/bulk then a dedicated pouch made from denier or canvas. Obvious shortfalls are lack of organization and less sturdy then a dedicated first aid bag.

I use freezer zip locks for a lot of this kind of organization in a bag.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Couch'd Tater...

Thanked 24,958 Times in 6,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiron View Post
Somebody stole your bag from an accident scene??? That's unlike the SC I remember.

I kinda hate people.
Kinda?
The Following User Says Thank You to jelloman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

I Have a T&T bag from condor, I had it strapped to the front of the Hill people heavy recon doing a load test on it, so its currently empty, I will use it till the Condor Ripout comes in, found a OD one for 20$.
what gets me is the price of what i had inside. went over my list, not including the CAT which was 49$ by itself, in my lil bag was bit and pieces $165.96 so, lost over $250 to a probable crackhead.

stopped by the FD on my way home from a idiot day with tha VA, just to check if maybe it had popped up. no luck there, but one of the EMS guys told me, that they have to just about chain em down in town, all the crackheads stealin em in hopes of dope/pills/narcotics inside. and my lil bag was nowhere near as comprehensive as theirs. enough to stop a leak, get air flowing, dress a wound or burn ect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,600 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

This post is in the wrong section but while I am here I may as well save you from spending money needlessly.

Go to the thrift store look at the purses, most of my FAK bags are purses. Find a purse with that is big enough, a subdued color, has lots of pockets inside and out. If the shoulder strap is not long enough buy a cloth belt and use it to extend the strap. I have one that I put a plastic container {I think it meant to hold ice} in the bottom the made a zippered bag that set on top of the container held in with hook and loop. You can sew loops on the out side of the bag to hold GI bandage pouches and you can clip them on the strap.

Some things that you need to have in your FAK that most people don't. Mylar space blanket, very sharp pointed knife, salt packets, sugar, mirror, small flash light,writing paper and a permanent sharpie marker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post: