Survivalist Forum banner

Am I a prepper or a Survivalist???

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  INCH PACKER 
#1 ·
Since much is made about the DIFFERENCE in this thread http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=226839

I am not sure what I am..

I have a large store of food (Wheat, canned meat/veggies/fruit....)
I plant a garden
I can food
I am by military training a Medic and a Police Officer
I have weapons & Ammo
I grew up in Maine and my grandfather (A guide) taught me hunting, trapping, shelter building, tracking

Am I -
a prepper
a survivalist
a survivalist that preps
a prepper with survivalist skills

#7 ·
And most likely labeled a potential terrorist. LOL

There is no difference, your both. I have yet to find a definition of a prepper in any dictionary. Microsoft word doesn't even recognize it. So the only conclusion is its a made up word for those of us that don't want to be paired up with the crazy gunmen the media label as survivalist. It's like calling a black man an African American. Doesn't change the fact that he is black, but makes everyone feel better about labeling him by his race. Same with this. Oh and if this is a survivalist site then all the preppers should get out and leave it to us survivalists. ;)

#3 ·
Where are you preps stored? In the pantry of your house, or in a hidden bunker in the woods.

Do you have more ammo for your MBR or for your main hunting rifle.

Is your main battle rifle an assault rifle or a hunting rifle.

In my mind a survivalist has a military mindset. He is ready to fight a guerrilla war against an invading army or possibly against his own government if it becomes a tyranny.

But maybe that is because my first taste of whatever this is was in the 70s, when we were preparing for Red Dawn.

A prepper in my mind is someone who stores some food and other things, and learns the things he may need to know to live through and after some major upheaval.

He probably plans to protect what is his, but mostly plans to keep his head down.

I also think most of us have some of both in us.

#4 ·
You will probably have to answer this yourself. Looking at the evidence you probably lean more on the Survivalist side. At least I got some of you thinking about this. We can leave it to someone who is not one of us to do the defining, or we can do it ourselves. I would rather we do it, wouldn't you?

#8 ·
After watching that prepper show, most of those people are nothing more than potental shopping trips for skilled groups of people that want their stuff. The fat Ham radio operator comes to mind. To the uneducated eye he would be considered a survivalist. But how long do you think he could survive and hold off a 4 man team trained in tacts, cover concealment and offensive battle formations. Minutes maybe.

#13 ·
So what definition of survivalist states that their political views involve overthrowing the government?

If that was the case then I would neither be labelled a survivalist or prepper. I guess I would just be considered a "paranoid American". I am most definitely not an extremest or terrorist.

#11 ·
terms have different meanings to different people; I consider my self a minimal survivalist.. I like to push my self to the edge with the least amount of preparation as a test of my abilities; surviving with whatever I have and making do which what I can find. I dont intend on giving my life for my preps; I'll run and survive without them.. no intentions on entering combat unless I have absolutely no choice.

yes I prepare, merely for insurance; but no I dont need my preps to survive so anyone with a bigger gun who wants them can have em as long as I live another day.. Putting your self in danger is not a wise thing to do if trying to survive.. Given the choice of dying today or starving for the next month I choose starving; there's a chance I'll find more food/water and the better my skills the better the chances.

All the preps I need to survive I keep in my head; cant take that from me.

-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.