Survivalist Forum banner

Coins VS Bars (Silver)

12K views 65 replies 37 participants last post by  Buffy 
#1 ·
I have noticed on APMEX that their 1 oz Silver Eagles cost more than their 1 oz bars, my question is why would you go with the Silver Eagles when the Silver Bars cost less and have the same amount of silver in them. Is it just collector value?

#2 ·
no silver eagles are minted by the us government and have a face value the other does not so is not as expensive

that said I just sold over half my silver as its losing value right now do to the speculators jumping ship

if i were you id wait a little bit to buy anything once it drops a lil more ima buy back my silver and more due to the lower price

Reactions: lildrestl3
#5 ·
no silver eagles are minted by the us government and have a face value the other does not so is not as expensive....
True, but coins like Eagles,Maples,Britainias, Kooks,etc. also have very intricate details that make them nearly impossible to be believably counterfeited. A bar usually just has large,generic lettering/logos that would be much easier to fake.

#4 ·
lol im hoping it drops to the mid $20s and ill jump back in and order more or if it starts rising again but if it goes to 24 ill be able to buy back everything i sold for 32 an ounce + lot more

#8 ·
Whether true or not, my local PM supplier told me that ASEs are harder to come by even through the US Mint and they are getting charged a little more for them. They raised their spot price by one whole dollar. Who knows if this was a reaction to the declining price lately.

#15 ·
A search online for "how to spot a fake Silver American Eagle" will return a couple of excellent detailed write-ups of the 'tells' - the shine and luster, weight and size, ring tone, beading, stamped detail etc and a trip to a Chinatown souvenir shop or Ebay will show you the ASE fakes, I agree there are poor fakes and good fakes but its still interesting to see them - the ones I saw for $1 each were horrid.

I've been skeptical of silver bars but there must be 'tells', anyone else know ? The weight is obvious so bring an accurate weighing scale, is the bar size standardized also ?

#25 ·
I have mainly invested in Silver Eagles, some of the silver maples, and even a some of the Mexico coins. I also purchased some of the Apmex 1/2oz rounds, and am looking at purchasing some American Buffalo 1/2oz coins too.
The Mexican 1oz coins I got are nice looking, on par with the silver eagles, in my opinion.

Bry

#36 ·
That's a bit high. Unless you live in the sticks, go to your local coin shop or a pawn shop and buy. I am paying $4 over spot on ASE's no matter what coin shop I go to and between $1.50-$2 over spot on rounds. I have only paid tax on two purchases on silver for a total of about 6 oz worth. All the rest have been cash deals. To me, paying tax on silver is just like an additional premium.

.........well, now the feds are after me.......:eek:

#34 ·
If you look back at 1929 the power brokers did the same thing, they are waiting for everyone to sell so they can scoop it up cheaper then when they sold.

Think about it, printed money is on the rise how can PM's go down?. Its a trick!!

#38 ·
I have a similar question in the same vein as the OP's...

Why is the price for the various silver coins different? Why is an ASE higher than a Maple Leaf, Koala, or a Panda?

If they are all .999, is it about the rarity of the coin?

If you were buying coins is it better to buy a foreign coin or a domestic?

Sorry if this has been rehashed elsewhere, but my head is spinning and I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I head into a coin shop for the first time. :eek::

#41 ·
when things get really bad, will it REALLY matter if its an ASE or a normal round? If both are truly .999 - metal is metal... when things get tough, you can bet counterfeiters will be goind ASEs..and doing them well.

Id rather put my money towards legit .999 bars and get more physical for my money.
Name brand bars that will pass the weight and chem testing to show its real silver.

When things get bad, other than being visibly recognized, what perks do ASEs offer?
will they continue to bring $6-10 over spot when silver is sky high?

#46 ·
Actually, counterfeiting a silver bar would be easier IMO. You can take a lead bar, coat it in silver, stamp it with whatever bank or exchange you want and try to pass it off. A coin, would be a little more time consuming to counterfeit. The fine details would have to be counterfeited as well, you don't have those details on a silver coated lead bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.