Survivalist Forum banner

Long Range AR-15

9K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  evilblackgunsrfun 
#1 ·
So I was in my pawnshop the other day and caved.....I bought a AR-15 again. It was interesting to me and I said what the hell. Since it was an impulse buy I really don't know much about them and what not. Don't get me wrong....I KNOW AR's....more specifically I don't really know the bull barrel/varmit/long range/sniper types. I have always had carbines.

So what do you guys think? I have a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 I plan to mount on it. Any other additions you think I should add? I was thinking about swapping out the stock and adding some back up iron sights. Should I add some valuable upgrades? Anyone have these long range AR types and love them? SHTF worthy? Let me know what you guys think. Here is a pic(I need higher scope rings so don't make fun....getting em tomorrow)

See less See more
#2 ·
So I was in my pawnshop the other day and caved.....I bought a AR-15 again. It was interesting to me and I said what the hell. Since it was an impulse buy I really don't know much about them and what not. Don't get me wrong....I KNOW AR's....more specifically I don't really know the bull barrel/varmit/long range/sniper types. I have always had carbines.
I'd say mostly the difference is most of time precision AR is a stainless barrel and a different optic :)

So what do you guys think? I have a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 I plan to mount on it. Any other additions you think I should add? I was thinking about swapping out the stock and adding some back up iron sights. Should I add some valuable upgrades? Anyone have these long range AR types and love them? SHTF worthy? Let me know what you guys think. Here is a pic(I need higher scope rings so don't make fun....getting em tomorrow)

Really the only precision AR I've had any contact with is the MK12 Mod1s, and they are definitely worth it.

As far as optics really depends on the amount of cash you wanna drop. Probably best value upgrades would be a stock Magpul UBR/PRS wouldn't be a bad bet. Pick your flavor of Geissele trigger [SSA-E?] and would be good to go.

Maybe throw in a Larue mount so if would ever have to remove optic to use irons when you re-attach would maintain your zero.

#5 ·
They are great guns for long range shooting, they can get a bit heavy wandering around in the field though. I know when I am going to be walking a lot I take the Carbine. If you going to be set up somewhere they are a good choice, they are very accurate, although you don't gain a whole lot as far accuracy over a good 16" barrel you will gain some velocity though. What kind of stock are you looking at, please don't put a cheap 6 position on, if you want a collapsible get a good quality one that is designed for that kind of rifle. You may want to look at a bipod, and some 20rd mags the 30 rouders can get a little tall for prone shooting.

#9 ·
Its a DPMS Panther 24
24" stainless steel bull barrel with a 1:9 twist
A2 Stock
Free float aluminum handguard
It weighs quite a bit...I would say around 9 pounds without the scope!

There is a guy who wants to trade me a 6.8 SPC carbine for it....I am on the fence

#8 ·
I have a bull barrel 24" stainless steel set-up on an AR15 (Model "1" Sales, http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=171) and I wouldn't part with it.

I have a Stirling 4-12x56mm scope on it and when I lived in Wyoming I could hit Prairie Dogs at incredible distance. I would say that 600 yards on a man sized target would be childs play.

It has no frills. Standard A2 stock and pistol grip. Standard trigger. It (the rifle) is heavy.

Al

#11 ·
Sounds like a nice rifle. If you decide to keep it you may want to keep the stock you have since you wont need a collapsible stock on a precision rifle. Spend that money on a bipod that doesn't touch the barrel. I can't see your pics very well but I'm not sure how you'd use a bipod with that free float forend. If there isn't a sling swivel (which I doubt there is) either change the forend or go ahead and trade on the 6.8.

The 6.8 is a pretty cool cartridge too. If you are looking for longer range rifle it wouldn't be a bad choice either, though ammo is much harder to find if you don't reload.

Btw, I stabilize 75grain ammo just fine with my 1:9 rifles. I don't shoot it too often since I prefer M193 in most guns but I can't remember any of my 1:9 rifles choking on it.

#12 ·
Unless you are going to spend a lot of time prone, I would leave the stock as is. I would change out the grip, however. I find that the standard AR grips adversely affect my trigger control, so I usually upgrade to an Ergo or a Magpul MOE.

If you are going to spend a lot of time prone, I would recommend a Versa-pod bipod and shorter magazines.

BTW, I have an almost identical rifle with 1:12 rifling. It is a 0.35 inch rifle at 100 yards with the right ammo.

#15 ·
If you don't have a good coyote gun, keep the AR.

IF you don't have a heavy hitter and don't mind a bunch of different calibers around, get the 6.8 SPC.

There are 1,000 calibers out there, for target shooting or stopping animals, there really is about 4-6 different needs out there that a different caliber or guage would satifsfy. Small game / casual target, big game / long range target, dangerous game, defensive purpose, shotgun for various purposes, and a handgun for defensive purposes.

My purchases need a purpose. I have sound some pretty crappie purposes, but have brought home a new buddy for the safe.

If it's just another toy, the AR you got will do just fine. It may produce good long range results and do it with .223 affordability.

Besides defensive or casual plinking purposes, the AR was born to be a coyote killer. I would sure bet stoner got his idea about building the AR by blending a 22lr rifle with a 22-250 bolt gun. It would not suprise me he came about this idea from coyote hunters. Seeing them produce good results, but keeping recoil moderate and accuracy high. Every other military in the world was looking to reduce recoil, but wanted to keep the caliber. The US kept the range capability high and still got to reduce recoil. I have been debating ditching the AR, but might keep it for furry vengance purposes.

I can imagine some of those "target" barrels might have a tight chamber and may give you problems shooting 5.56 through it. I have seen some only .223 types. You can always trade the upper as well.

#21 ·
i really like my Arsenal SGL 21 alot, but i would have given the AR you had a try atleast, i have a Bushmaster Varmintor with the 24 inch fluted barrel, and with Winchester Varmint rounds, 45 gr bullet , at 3600 fps, its a heck of a accurate rifle for varmints and alot of fun shooting, i have a 4x16 power scope on mine with red/green crosshair illumination.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.