Survivalist Forum banner

Long Range

7K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  Max2005hemi 
#1 ·
What do you guys think is the best long range rifle for sustaining life, I.e. protection, hunting ect. Im looking at at a 308 mossberg on Cheaperthandirt for under 300 bucks is this good?

#3 ·
I would definitely think the .308 is he best caliber for long range shooting and SHTF. It can take almost any game on the continent(including humans) and ammo will be plentiful.

As a side note, I would spend the extra $150 or so and get a quality boltgun like a Ruger M77, Remington 700, Savage 11 or 10 series etc. Mossberg makes great shotguns but their rifles have much to be desired. Just my .02 cents man.

#4 ·
I agree Ranger. I love the Savage/Stevens guns and the last LR gun I built on a Savage action will outshoot the Remington PSS's any time. We have been playing with them in .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5X47 Lapua, and they are awsome because of the outstanding 6.5 match bullets that are available. But for long term survival, I think you are spot on with this one, .308 is the way to go for many, many reasons

#6 ·
Thanks guys! see i have all my bases covered for SHTF, hunting Close quarters ect, i was just missing a longer range gun, and i always wanted one, about the AR's there great guns and have such a wide range of abilities that i see why people love them, but im a SKS guy would not trade it for anything i currently have
A sporterized SKS 30 round magazine
Marlin 30-30 lever action
My Sidearm and CC is a 1911 in 45 acp of course
Mossberg 500

#14 ·
I agree that a true long range shooter is needed. I believe in buying good quality and would prefer buying a used rifle from Remington, Winchester, Sako, or Ruger instead of a budget model mossberg. I can always replace the barrel with a Lothar for $240.

I own a nice 308 and use it for itermediate range hunting. I have several rifles with better long range ballistics such as 25-06, 270 win, and 7mm Mag.

Save room in your budget for a superb scope. A 2.5-8x Leupold vary-x 3 is the minmum quality and lowest power range. Nothing wrong with a 4.5-14x Leupold mk4. Good glass is more important to long range shooting than a new rifle.

#8 ·
On the cheap you can look at the savage axis. I hear they are really accurate and nit much high then that mossburg. But their made to were later on if you want to throw a bull barrel on it you cant. If you want a gun that some day you can build up into a bbl or somthing then go with the stevens or regular savage short action.

#9 ·
What you have is pretty good already. I'd say you don't need a .308, however, you may want one.

For defensive purposes. If it is that far away, let it pass by.

If I was in your shoes firearms wise, I would look in two directions. Purchase duplicates of what you already have or get a 22lr rifle.

Times get rough, many folks will be unemployed, but society on a whole will be close to what we have now. You may want a quiet firearm that can put meat on the table without attracting attention. 22lr is top of the list for this.

Hunting.... that .30-30 doubled with a quality scope is a fine hunting firearm. May haver to pass a opportunity here and there, but just about every scenario is possible where I live. I emphasise the quality scope. I low light sitatuions like partial moonlight, you can still hunt with a rifle that has a quality scope.

Defense...... Get yourself another mossberg 500, so someone else can cover your back.

Back to a longer range hunting rifle. I get something better than a mossberg. You will never regret a good savage rifle.

#18 ·
We have had incredible results with the various 6.5mm's at some good long ranges. We have built Savages in .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmore with Shilin Select Match barrels. We also have in the group a 6.5X47 Lapua which is custom built on a Surgeon Action with a Kreiger barrel. All are exceptional out to 1200yds, and remain supersonic to those ranges as well. We all shoot the Berger 140gr VLD J4 and the Lapua Scenar 139gr. These 6.5's are unbelieveable long range guns, but as I stated earlier, for survival/SHTF/EOTWAWKI, the .308 would be my choice.

If you do go with the Savage heavy-barrel .308, spend the extra $$$ right out of the gate and get the model with the HS Precision stock. It is worth every cent.

As for glass, not enough can be said for quality glass. There are a VERY FEW exceptions, but for the most part, this is one place where you do get exactly what you pay for.

#19 ·
Problem with rifles like the Axxis is they aren't compatible with regular Savage stuff. The Stevens 200 a little more money you can just use Savage parts. The original, but still adjustable, trigger I took out of my old pre accu Savage, dropped right in, way better than the original.

Since he is budget minded, there are other rifles to consider. The mosins are pretty cheap, 109$ at the local place. A kit to put a bolt handle on it and a scope a little more. A nice trigger is under a 100. The 7.62x54 will do anything a 308 will do. Another alternative is an 8mm. Not sure what the yugo mausers go for anymore, mine was 125$. A trigger 55$, bolt handle bending 25$, and whatever scope mount you go with. Both excellent candidates for reloading. I like 200gr match in my yugo, with a 2 lbs trigger and nice glass will shoot as good as your average 308, maybe not as good as some high dollar one, but I have a 300 mag for that sort of work.

#21 ·
thanks again, moneys not really an issue, i can save up and get it later (i hope) and i get that if a threat is that far away let it go but i would like the ability to stop any threat anyplace, my dad,brother, and i close to the same setup, just different sidearms, and shotgun brands. Also i have a little 22lr that came in a box and i screwed it together never shot it, but i do want a Ruger 10-22 they seem to be the best, and you can make them look pretty wicked if ya wanted. What do you all think of the mosin is it good for what i need?

#23 ·
The Mosin is a very sturdy rifle, a military device that was intended to stand up to service with uneducated conscript troops. It is, as a result, quite crude when compared to the Savage, the Remingtons, or the Mausers. Lock time is slow, which keeps it from being easily used at longer ranges, because the longer the lock time, the longer you have to move off target from shake....

I'd go Savage in .30-06, add a navy sleeve to let you use .308 at need, and add adapters to let me use 7.62x39 in a pinch.

#24 ·
Right.....and while the Mosin would do in a pinch it is not ideal as a sniper or long range shooting platform especially with the designs of today. The Mosin was designed over 110 years ago. I understand why some people like these weapons(they are cheap) but I wish people would start acknowledging the differences between weapons that will 'do the job' and weapons that will do the job better. If your on a budget than go for it but the Mosin is not even close to a quality sniper rifle in todays day and age. Not to mention you'll need good glass so if $120 is your long range rifle budget well....just stick with short range engagements lol

#25 ·
As someone pointed out earlier, much of this depends on what you are calling "long range". Forgive for being presumptious, but most guys here dont have the ability to really shoot beyond 500yards. Inside of 500 yards I am a fan of the 6.5BMR, the .260Rem or the old 6.5x55 Swede loaded with a 140gr SST. The rifle that I would choose hands down is a Remington Sendero for both inside 500yards and out to 1000 if chambered in something more substantial like a .300 Mag.
Shooting between 500 and 800 yards takes alot of practice. Shooting 1000 yards and beyond is a rare air discussion altogether with far too many variables that i could talk forever on, but not tonight.

#32 ·
You may want to look up the specs on the .260 out to 1000yds. You may be surprised how it compares to the .300 Win Mag. With the 139-140 bullets you get a BC of about .640. To get to that in a .30cal you would have to go to the 210gr Berger VLD or the Lapua Scenar.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/the-case-for-260-remington/

Check it out. Great article on the .260 long range, also lots of good tactical shooting info.

#26 ·
I would agree on either duplicates or going with .22 in rifle and pistol. However, yes thoes are fine rifles, I would prolly personally hold out for a rem 700 but thats just a prefrence, the mossy is just dandy.

If it were not going to be used in hunting, I would reccomend a Mosin, because of price and they are one of the better long rifles ever made. Some will rag on them because of the age of their design, but Most bolt-rifles today are a simple Mauser...Includeing the Rem 700 and prolly that Mossy your looking at. The only thing that keeps me from getting a Mosin is the cost of hunting ammo, I dont know what it would cost to reload it.

If money were no issue, I would say BARRETT M82:thumb: and a jolly good time it would be.

#27 ·
What model of mossberg? My answer is no. I would get a Savage model 10 at Wal Mart, with Scope, for $383, or a Savage Axis... If not restricted to around $300, then I would recommend the guns that others have. For that money, brand new, it's Savage buddy. Buy a Savage for $383, in .308. go to the range, spend $20 sighting it in; then you've got your gun.

#34 ·
Not a real problem. Take a .308 case, one pass into a .260 fl size die and your good to go. I have stored GOOD match .260 bullets, powder and primers for my "pet" loads. If the time comes that I run out of those (and I'm still alive) and there seems to be plenty of .308 laying around, I have a 24" heavy barrel in .308 set up for my rifle ready to go. With the tools and skill that I have, I can re-barrel the .260 to .308 in about 20min.

As I stated in my earlier post, yes the .308 would be my longterm choice if I was starting from ground zero. But in my last post, I was comparing the .260 to the .300 Win Mag at 1000yds as had been stated in the quote that I responded to. Now I'm not sure how much .260 will be laying around (that is why I have a good stock of it, and componants to load plenty more) but I would imagine that there won't be box's of .300 Win Mag or even .308 laying around post SHTF.

I shot the .308 for years for long range (and still use it as my go-to hunting round. But I do know what the 6.5mm's are capable of, and for now they are the way to go for me. As I always tell folk's though. Use whatever works for you.

#35 ·
I compete regularly in long range centerfire, and I can't speak highly enough about Savage off the shelf. I know it's over your budget but if you save a little longer you'll have a lifetime rifle with superb accuracy. I own a Savage F-Class and a Savage Palma. Both are single shot and I believe them to be the most accurate semi-mass produced rifle on the market. My F-Class is chambered in 6.5/284, and with a 139gr scenar with roughly 52 grains of powder I'm pushing 4000fps. The great benefit in the .308 however is barrel life. I'm on my third barrel with the 6.5 which is fine and what I expected but the .308 will last much longer. The beauty of the Savage is the ease at which a barrel can be changed. Also the Accu trigger is absolutely the finest factory trigger on the market. Mine breaks like glass at 3oz. IMO glass is as important in a precision rifle as the action, trigger, and barrel. Nothing me gripes me more than a $1000 rifle with a $300 scope. As I think of it now I don't own a rifle in which the scope doesn't cost as much or more than the rifle itself; save my AR which has an ACOG. One final note on long range precision. You must roll your own. You will not find consistent ammunition off the shelf for your particular rifle. Two exact same models built one right after the next will like a different load.

My F-class and Palma. These are both 1000yrd guns. My Palma wears a 35x Leupold Competition and my F-Class a 45x Leupold Competition

F-Class

Palma

6.5-284 larger case on left.

#37 ·
I compete regularly in long range centerfire, and I can't speak highly enough about Savage off the shelf. I know it's over your budget but if you save a little longer you'll have a lifetime rifle with superb accuracy. I own a Savage F-Class and a Savage Palma.
Yep... those are the ones. I saw a girl at the range one day... she was like 14... I saw her with open sights. I figured I'd teach her a thing or two. Nope. Turns out she was the junior champion there at the 500yard target competition. Long of the short is, whenever I sees one of them type guns, I just don't say anything and stay on my side of the range, where I can see them targets with my naked eye. End of the story goes kind of like this: 14 year old girl schooled me up on ballistics a little bit, and made a gesture with her finger and thumb to represent what her groups were shooting that day... Like I said, I'll stick to my side of the range next time.

Wait a minute....You are asking about long range rifles, but you haven't even shot your .22 yet? "The ability to stop any threat anyplace" begins with SKILL.

Help me out here guys...
yep.. just like you said it "the ability to stop any threat anyplace" begins with skill. yep... i concur. he's right you guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.