Survivalist Forum banner

Long Range Comm

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MadPrepper 
#1 ·
Is there a thread around here on setting up functional long range communications?

I recall reading something a while back about HAM radio and the like. The thought came back to mind reading a novel where one character contacts another via CB. The weird thing was the contact was 2 states away...don't know if you can even do that with CB...

#2 ·
Yes you can do that with CB. The conditions must be right. Its not something I would count on. On our company radio (35.160Mhz) once I heard some one from Hawaii and I am in Alabama. That only happened once.

Ham radio would be more predictable do to the different bands you get.

#6 ·
Found this online. Seems the FCC is more concerned with people boosting the power, than taking advantage of an atmospheric phenomena. Not sure I'd do it a lot though.

"According to the FCC, the CB radio service was original allocated for short range transmissions. They specify in the rules part 95 that knowingly transmitting farther than 155.3 miles is illegal and you can be punished by jail time or fines. The reality is that what the FCC is most concerned about are stations using high amounts of power that cause disruptions to other radio services. They could probably care less about CBer’s talking DX and in my experience I have never ever heard of anyone I know being in trouble for talking DX. There are even thousands of licensed ham radio operators who shoot skip all the time on the CB band even though they are quite aware it’s illegal. The ham operators will even use their 100 watt ham equipment to do so, which is also a big no no as far as the FCC is concerned.

The reality is that shooting skip on the CB band is fun and everyone does it. So while I don’t endorse breaking the law, you’ll probably be able to enjoy shooting skip your whole life without ever hearing from the FCC."

#8 ·
Is there a thread around here on setting up functional long range communications?
CB will occasionally "skip" hundreds of miles but it is not even vaguely reliable, and if it matters, it's also illegal. If you establish long range comms via CB it's only because you're lucky...very lucky.

HF ham radio is used all the time for long-distance (DX) but it is very hit and miss. DX is heavily influenced by solar activity, weather, geography, the type of antenna you are using, and a host of other variables.

Radio is not like a telephone where you just place a call and it goes straight through to the receiving party every time. As great as modern technology is, there really is no "reliable" long range radio communications. Your best option is to set up a regular schedule with the distant station. Sometimes you will get through no problem, other times zippo. But by keeping a regular schedule you know you will have communications at least part of the time.

There are also organized networks of hams who relay traffic on behalf of others. This of course requires a lot of coordination with other operators.

~Tevin~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.