Survivalist Forum banner

advice needed about a good skinning knife

4K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  swiss90 
#1 ·
Last January I gave a 10-year-old cousin his first Red Ryder BB gun (and instructions not to shoot his eye out); he was thrilled and has been practicing with targets. Last Saturday morning he and a friend decided to go hunting at 6 am in their right-outside-Nashville suburban neighborhood. The younguns actually got up at 6:00, it not being a school day. Cousin got his first squirrel, held it out to his mom and said, "Don't make me feel bad about this." He then announced he intended to eat it. Mom admitted she didn't know how to skin a squirrel, so cousin got on Youtube, watched a video, and did it himself. Mom fried the squirrel; she said it looked kinda like a chicken leg. This kid's got hunting in his genes, along with his great-great-grandfather's handmade gun from the 1800's.

For this year's birthday I'd like to get him a proper knife for skinning and gutting what he kills; he had to use his mom's kitchen knife on Saturday. Could someone please give me advice about this? What kind of knife should I get him?

I love how he's hunting like our family has done for generations in the past, then looks up how to skin something on Youtube. What a mixture of old and new!

Thanks for any helpful advice.

See less See more
#4 ·
I dont really recommend these, but a Mora would probably work out great for the youngster. Definitely get him somethin that is light for his small hands and also has some sort of guard. Doesnt gave to be an actualy guard like on a kabar just something that will keep him from slipping his hand up into the blade. Or, if you want to teach him while hes young, get him one that you have to be extra careful with or else you'll slip onto the blade. I think even a small neck knife would work fine on squirrels and other small game.

#6 ·
Kershaw antelope hunter 2, it's made from stainless 8cr13mov steel which isnt to shabby, has a bright orange handle just incase he lays it down somewhere(it's pretty hard to miss with that orange handle) and comes pretty sharp and it's cheap. Just in case he looses it. Comes with a leather sheath thats of decent quality for such a cheap knife. Especially when it's only $26.08+S&H on cheaper then dirt

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/prod...dium=organic&gclid=CPTS0ZuulrQCFQf0nAodJwoAUg

#10 ·
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Go here. Ragnar is a good guy to do business with. Either #39 or #440.
The 39 is a Scout knife with a wood handle and finger guard. As he get older and experienced you can cut the guard off and make a neck knife like Cody of Dual Survivor.
The 440 has a good review on Woods Roamer blog site. The blade is thin and good for skinning or cleaning fish. The steel is excellent and they keep an edge. At least mine does. I have used a Buck 110 folder for over 40 years and it is also a good choice but without a finger guard he will learn fast that it can bite. The Mora's cost are cheap but the quality of the product is very high. So if he loses one it won't break the bank.

And by the way you are doing something so honorable you should be commended. Teaching and guiding a young person is one of the greatest things a man can do. You sir, are a real man. My compliments. This is what will make and keep American ideals strong.

#11 ·
I have a Buck PakLite Skinner that is really nice. Made in USA, lifetime warranty, lightweight, easy to carry and use, cheap price but very good quality 420HC stainless steel blade. At his age he will need something that is not to big for his hands so he has less chance of loosing his grip on it when it's all nice and bloody, the PakLite has a ergonomic handle and it's skeletonized and has groves cut into the handle to help keep it from slipping in your hand when in use. Overall it's a really good little knife. Comes with a nice little sheath.

They have them for $17.50 (plus shipping) at GPKnives

http://www.gpknives.com/buck-paklite-skinner.html

Reactions: Trent Rock
#16 ·
I am against giving the kid a expensive knife. He is a ten yr old. Get him something cheap but good quality. If he does not use good judgement (as expected of young kids) and breaks or loses it no big deal. The time to get him a "family heirloom expensive pass down to the kid or grandkid" is when he matures and can appreciate it and understand what a gift is. The Scout knife from Mora would still be best IMHO. Per Ragnar's site it is a rite of passage for a kid to cut the guard off. It signifies they are growing up and are responsible. That makes even a cheap Scouting knife something special to keep. I would stain the handle to make it look better though.

#19 ·
Any of the knives mentioned are excellent choices . I find my Becker BK14 to be a great little skinner . Liked it so much , I bought a bunch for Christmas gifts this year . :) Not too big and offers itself to many tasks ...( especially skinning game and cleaning fish ) Strap it to a pack , toss it in a tackle box , wear it on your belt or around your neck ...

Lends itself nicely to customization too ( if you so choose )

-John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.