Survivalist Forum banner

Advice needed is this any good for the car trunk.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Al Diehl 
#1 ·
This advert was in the banner above. I was thinking it could be okay filler kit for the car trunk as my get home bag, or if the car breaks down somewhere, etc, for small game plinking.
Not a big fan of air rifles and have some solid bush experience, but the ammo is super cheap, the air rifle has good reviews and squirrels abound where I am.
Can anyone provide their .02 on this piece of kit?
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Doomsday_Bug_Out_Air_Rifle_Kit_2289/2913

#3 ·
I wouldnt have it in my trunk. #1 you dont need a rifle type weapon in your trunk unless you live AND work out in the forrest if you live in any type of civilized area you dont need to be walking down the street with a something that looks like a rifle,specially during a SHTF situation the police alone would shoot 1st then ask why you was walking down the street with a rifle. #2 The primary reason for GHB trunk guns is to keep you safe on your journey home during a SHTF,so you need a caliber big enough that is quick and easy reload inorder to put several goblins down, a pellet gun isnt going to do it.

If your car breaks down are you really going to be worried about hunting rabbits?.. NO your going to be trying to get your car fixed.You would be better served haveing a prepaid cell phone in your bag so you can call for help.

Dont get me wrong pellet guns are fine for small game hunting but they are by no means a," Get Home Bag Weapon".

The saying ,"The right tool for the right job", comes to mind :thumb:

The more practical weapon to have is a pistol/handgun 9mm or bigger. You do see ppl talking about haveing SKS's to min-14 in their trunks but unless you live and work in the country this is extremely impratical. The odds of the SHTF at such a HIGH level that it would be ok to carry a rifle while walking down the street is HIGHLY improbable, and the odds are we will never see it in our life time. However there is a MUCH HIGHER possablity of you haveing to walk to a phone or to get help in some way becausse your cell phone isnt working, or you find yourself in a possable situation to were there is a strong chance of needing some personel def.,like your just changeing a flate tire in a bad area of town...ect

Allas is right if I was to buy an air rifle for hunting I would get the break down rifles like a gamo

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies folks, well heeded.
To elaborate, I work in what could best be described as a semi urban location - my whole region still has problems with deer in driveways - but commute down long highway surrounded by forest to a more... rustic home location. I'm not looking for an SD ranged weapon that needs to be licensed to cary in my boot, but only a tool for if I have to dump the car, get off the highway and trek home through the bush.
Wasn't intending the air rifle as a self defense weapon or to walk down mainstreet, but as an accessory to the pre existing trunk kit.

Thanks once again folks, if anyone has a good product air rifle or crossbow that's compact or break down please recommend.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies folks, well heeded.
To elaborate, I work in what could best be described as a semi urban location - my whole region still has problems with deer in driveways - but commute down long highway surrounded by forest to a more... rustic home location. I'm not looking for an SD ranged weapon that needs to be licensed to cary in my boot, but only a tool for if I have to dump the car, get off the highway and trek home through the bush.
Wasn't intending the air rifle as a self defense weapon or to walk down mainstreet, but as an accessory to the pre existing trunk kit.

Thanks once again folks, if anyone has a good product air rifle or crossbow that's compact or break down please recommend.

How many miles travel are we talking about? most ppl dont travel no more than 45 miles. if its under 15 miles you can walk that in a day. If its over a days walk then just keep some food in the bag make it stuff you dont need to cook so you dont need a fire except for warmth. Its extremely impractical to think your going to be hunting just to get home. you will spend more time trying to get food than its worth doing when you can already have the food in your bag and only have to worry about the hike home.

However if your dead set that you must have a pellet gun gamo makes some good ones that cost around $100-$300. but if you are going to pay that much you might as well buy a bolt action .22lr and a box of shells.

Frankly, I dont see the practicality of a pellet gun as a GHB trunk gun. BUT to each his own :thumb:

#6 ·
Reactions: junglecrawler
#8 ·
Are you saying that based on the velocity alone?

I have the Benjamin and Sheridan (http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sheridan_Blue_Streak_CB9/207) air rifles and I can tell you that they are more than capable for small game. The Crossman on the other hand is a tad weak. I have one (a Crossman) that I am "tricking out" with a steel breach, modified air cylinder, modified piston, etc. Even with that, I don't think that it will measure up to the Benjamin or the Sheridan.
I let a friend shoot my Sheridan (a Skeptic) just the other day and he hit & killed a rabbit behind my house at 45 yards. One shot, graveyard dead. Yep, he will be ordering him one.
So, anyway, based on real world use of all of these guns I can tell you that the Benjamin and the Sheridan are more than capable for what the OP has suggested. That and they are not considered a firearm in "most" places so, carrying one disassembled in his trunk would/might not get him in trouble with the law like a firearm might. (I know, that in most places this is not an issue but,.....I also don't have a clue where the OP is located.)

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.