Survivalist Forum banner

shipping container for bunker use

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  htfiremedic 
#1 ·
having read on here, and other places, to NOT use one to bury, I have done so anyway.

FYI they are rock solid with one fast 500 dollar mod.
simply add 4X4's and 2X6's to shore it up.

a length of 2 X 6 is screwed to each side wall and one down the middle of the top on the INSIDE. 4 X 4's are placed each 4 feet along the center and across from side to side to support the side loading.

a track-hoe was used to dig the pit and this container was buried under 18 inches of sandy loam. AT TIMES the track hoe was driven directly along the top of the container while pushing a pile of dirt that was over 3 feet high! it is rock solid and though it does have the inside braces this job was completed, start to finish in 2.5 days. also coat the outside with roofing and foundation tar...cost for all... container 2600 ( delivered ) dirt work 1500, wood and tar 550.... 100 for pvc drain pipes

for $4750...you can stash ALL of your stuff and hide out in safety...if need be.
water well machine is 10,000 and have a well close by for 400 for the pump and casing. 10,000 for gardening tools, seeds and solar powered goodies... 6000 more for food.

TRUE that the 4 X 4's make it awkward to get around in but for a survival bunker..I for one did not care so much about comfprt as much as NOT having cement truck drivers or anyone else knowing where it was buried! I am more than sure the same braces could be installed, then cement poured and then braces removed...

SAFE and I will have no p[roblem putting all that I hold dear inside of it.

If it will hold a 15,000 pound track hoe driving down the roof, it will NEVER cave in with the small amount of weight from 18 inches of dirt.

semper paratus....for a total cost of about 35,000 dollars ( less the land) and you can be pretty comfortable and have everything that your neighbors forgot about.

See less See more
#2 ·
a length of 2 X 6 is screwed to each side wall and one down the middle of the top on the INSIDE. 4 X 4's are placed each 4 feet along the center and across from side to side to support the side loading.
I'm trying to imagine what you mean.

So the 2x6 are like studs and a middle roof beam. (inside container)

The 4x4's are vertical every 4 feet to support the 2x6 that supports the roof.

are there also 4x4's horizontal holding the walls out? Wouldn't you have to climb over them going in and out?

Thanks for the post and clarification,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.