Survivalist Forum banner

I'm looking for a pistol for less than $400?

11K views 66 replies 46 participants last post by  drobs 
#1 ·
I want a pistol that is fun to shoot and hard as nails for when shtf.

I'm a big rifle guy but don't have a lot of experience with handguns,I have mostly been looking at revolvers but if a semi-auto fits the bill I will consider it,what caliber I would like is 9MM,45ACP,357mag or 44mag if i'm feeling lucky,size of the pistol doesn't matter to me.

#2 ·
Good lucky finding a good one for that price. My best deal lately was a used Glock Model 22 with Tac Light for $400. plus $20.00 shipping and $20.00 transfer fee. But it took me two months of looking and searching to find it at that price.

#3 ·
For the $, and the "tough as nails" requirement, I'd suggest sticking with revolvers. There's some tough pistols out there, but rare at $400.

A LEO turn-in S&W in 357 can often be found under $300. I've got an old police issue S&W Model 10 in .38 spl, with a 4" heavy barrel, hogue grips, fixed sights, handles +P ammo, that is light to carry, quick to point, a tack driver (off a bench its literally driven roofing nails) ... and I see similar models going for $250. A GP100, SP101 in 357, or a Taurus (I have 5) can all come in under $400. You may also find a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 357/9mm single action for that price. That's a fun gun.

#4 ·
I had $400 to spend a couple months ago and then my friend told me to save another $300 to buy something good. Very rare would you find "fun to shoot and hard as nails for when shtf" for $400.

I followed the advice and bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II at our local gun shop, $650 out the door with 2 mags.

I am happy I saved a little more to buy the gun I wanted.

#5 ·
IMHO revolvers are a good choice for SHTF. I have had several Taurus revolvers and never had any issues with them. I carry a 605 (2 inch 357) daily as my EDC.

There are several in your price range, though perhaps a 4 or 6 inch barrel might be a better general use pistol:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/494/products_id/31456

You could also look at Rossi's, basically the same. They are both built on S&W blueprints IIRC.
The other player is the Armscor pistols. Phillipine made, but GTG.
Their 1911's sold under the Rock Island Armory (RIA) moniker are one of the best values in modern firearms. Several are available at under or right at $400. Their 38's are based on the Colt Cobra design - many parts are interchangeable I have read. I don't think they are especially attractive, but a 4 inch 38 is a good, basic revolver, and at less than $200 a steal IMHO.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_876

A used Glock might fit the bill. I see used 40 cal Glocks <$400 all the time:
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html
Good luck!

#10 ·
yes sir, if it will shot 357 it will easily handle the 38 sp +P

#8 ·
I can get brand new Ruger P345 [45acp] for $450 + tax at my gun shop . I can also get the new Ruger compact 9 mil for around $400 +tax . You could probably find a new 380 semi auto or a 22 pistol or revolver for $400 or less . Other than that you should be looking for used guns .
If I were you I'd save a few more $ and get the Ruger P345 . Ruger makes rugged , reliable , affordable handguns . If You could save a few more $ The Ruger GP100 or SP101 357 mag revolvers are great guns . You could probably find a used Ruger revolver for $400 .

#16 ·
I'd save up more money for a better firearm. If there is a tight budget on the firearm, then best to buy either a 9mm or 38 special handgun. 45acp costs a good bit more. 357 is nice, but not direly needed. In the long run, the firearm is cheap, the ammo get expensive. There is little defense wise the 357 offers over the 38 special. If were talking defense against bears, the 357 is the manditory minimum.

I'd save up a bit more and get a 9mm glock 17 or spingfield XD. Do not get a compact, get a longer 4 or 5" model. Most folks I know who bought a compact for concealed carry do not trust thier lives to the firearm. The recoil is higher and the smaller grip and shorter sight radius makes it a very poor performer at the range.

Those communist bloc handguns are very affordable to buy and to shoot and very reliable too. They may be .30 caliber, but they pack a wallop. I believe there are some manufacturers of quality defensive ammunition too.

The pistol is a Tokarev M57. It fires a 7.62x25 round. They are asking $200 for the pistol. Their ammo seems a bit steep from what I remember $10 for 70 round. A CZ 52 fires the same round too and is another great gun. Those guns are made in an excellent firearms plant over there. Look about 1/4 the way down from the top of the page. Sellier and Bellot make new, non-corrosive, and reloadable brass cased amm for it. It's $20 for 50 rounds.

http://www.classicarms.us/

#19 ·
I've had a S&W 5906 in the past. My shooting buddy & I put over (20,000) twenty thousand Rnds through it in about (5) five years.
I did not experience any major Malfunction magazine failures or jams. I am anal about cleaning my Guns, So did keep it clean.
The only non factory mags I used were Magar Mags
XR750

#20 ·
You can pick up a nice revolver or semi auto used for $400.00 to get the ball rolling. Do you have a Cabela's or a Gander Mt in your area? Alot of folks will trade in their pistols for a higher end unit after a few years of usage and saving up a few more dollars.

So I recommend window shopping for awhile at bigger sporting goods stores or pawn shops and when you find one that feels right after some research make a move. I know many who have gone this route and are pleased with their purchase. Rugers, Glocks , SW, Bersa and Leo service firearms in all calbers are out there you just have to get out and look. It took me about two weeks to get a used .40 caliber that was like new for $225. Some day I will maybe upgrade it but it is not neccessary. Carry cash and make an offer and even make a offer on two used firearms for $400 total as most places like to move their used units ASAP.

Then you practice ,get familiar with it and continue to research and shoot and maybe after you save some more cash you will trade it in for something a step above what you have and you gain valuble experience with different firearms. I have done this with pistols , shotguns and rifles and have been very happy.

My used shotgun the first time I shot it was dead center with iron sights and it was like someone broke it in for me. I will never trade it in because of that and the fact it was a steal with a bird and slug barrel for $200.00. So it is possible to get more than one firearm for $400 or if you get one you can load up on mags and ammo with your budget. And now is a good time to look as many upgrade after the tax returns come.

#22 ·
Rock Island 1911 in .45, $390 (buy now = free shipping) + about $30 FFL = $420 TOTAL for a solid 1911.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227134045

Or you could go for a 9mm since its much cheaper to shoot, get a lightly used Ruger P89 (aluminum body, steel slide). These guns are bullet proof (bad pun). I've said it before, a tank can drive over it, you can then pick it up, unload it on the tank, then beat the tank into submission with it. I've put over 500 rounds through mine, shooting everything from Winchester PDX elite 147gr to cheap laquered brown bear 115gr. Gun has never misfired, failed to feed, failed to fire, stovepiped, failed to eject, etc... it's been flawless.

You shouldnt have to pay much over $300 for a good lightly used one (can sometimes find in pawn shops for $250, or talk them down to that).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=226128893

Next you can get a used police trade-in glock 22 in .40 cal...

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...-condition-/cPath/16_150_497/products_id/1941

Or my friend that uses S&W sigma .40 for his concealed carry and swears by it... says it's ergonomically perfect, well balanced, he'll bet his life on it's reliability... can be found for well under your price limit...

New $300 + $23 shipping, and again, about $30 FFL = $353

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225310354

In other words there are lots of options in viable calibers out there, and don't let the gun snobs sway you... I have 3 friends with rock island 1911, 2 with the sigmas, and I have the Ruger myself... all are reliable, accurate, solid firearms for the budget minded.

Or you could look into a revolver as well.

#23 ·
Their are a lot of options to choose from so finding the right pistol is a lot like buying a rifle for the first time you don't know the names and the reputations.

These are my thoughts,I want a full sized handgun,4-5in.barrel,a caliber that is powerful and easily found at a local gun shop like 9MM and as reliable as possible.

I guess the first question is which is better for a starter pistol revolver or semiautomatic?

#27 ·
Smith Wesson 9sve Sigma series, brand new out of the box $300,,straigh as an arrow shooter,,16rd magazine, extra mag comes with it,32 rounds should stop most people.. 9mm ammo inexpensive easy to break down clean,,trigger is a long pull but once fired a few times no problems imo

#28 ·
I will throw my hat in for revolvers as well. If you want something "tough as nails" I suggest a Ruger SP101 or GP100 (Blackhawks or Redhawks are good too!) But finding one under $400 will require some patience and some hunting. I would suggest keeping an eye on www.backpage.com in your area. Sometimes you can find sweet deals on there... and price is generally negotiable on all such stuff.

Taurus makes good revolvers too and these can be bought brand new in .357 for under $400. Some folks bag on Taurus, but everyone I know (including me) has had good luck with them. Are they are dependable and well-built as a Ruger (Rugers are built like tanks!)? Probably not... but still a dang fine firearm. You can buy a Model 605 (5-shot) or 617 (7-shot) .357 snubbie brand new for under $400 all day long in my neck of the woods. A Model 66 .357 in 4" barrel would be a nice choice too... probably right at $400 brand new (maybe a touch over).

www.budsgunshop.com usually has some deals too on both new and used, but you have to find an FFL to ship it too, a PITA IMO. But if the deal is good enough it might be worth it.

But like I said above, I'd start off by watching Backpage religiously... you might find exactly what you are looking for!!! Good hunting!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.