Survivalist Forum banner
17K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  wyldflwr 
#1 ·
I've got a question concerning, you guessed it, BRITA FILTERS :thumb::thumb: Yayy, I love my Sigg water bottle and brita filter, it saves me buckets of dough on bottled water (Gotta be a good steward of what God has given me:) )

But the question I have is in regards to brita filters in a emergency situation.

Are they any good for filtering water if the crap hits the fan? I'm pretty sure they don't sterilize the water so I know I'd have to boil the water but would they maybe still work for clearing any gunk out of the water I'm going to use for cooking or maybe even drinking after boiling?

I ask because I am thinking of investing in the 3 pack every time I need a new filter to stock up on them so I'll have two to stockpile each change.

Is it worth it????

Thanks

#2 ·
Brita (and similar) water filters are good basically for removing small amounts of impurities from the water. It does the job well enough to potentially improve the taste of the water by reducing the amount of dissolved minerals.

It does NOT work well enough to make non-potable water safe to use or drink.. In a SHTF situation, it might (emphasis MIGHT) be a little better than not using one, but the water if contaminated is by no means made safe. You'd be better off by purchasing a backpacking water filtration system for such situations.

-Cheers

#5 ·
PUR faucet filter works well but may not work without high water pressure

I've used the PUR faucet filter on my kitchen sink for a few years now. (By the way, The blue 3-stage filters are the ones that are suppose to remove the most pollutants.) It does a great job. One thing to think about is that faucet filters may need a certain level of water pressure (psi) to move the water through the filter. If water pressure is low, water flow will slow dramatically. And gravity pressure alone may not be enough to get the faucet filter to operate. So in an emergency, the pitcher type may be your most reliable option. (If you can't boil the water, you can treat it with fresh chlorine bleach before putting it into the pitcher. The pitcher will remove the chlorine).

#14 · (Edited)
Water filtering

I would only trust a Doulton or berkey for clean water in a bad environment. If cost is a big issue Doulton makes a small personal water filter used by the SAS. It costs about $89.00 with one filter included. It uses the same filters as the big berkey or the doulton equivalent, Also I've heard the ceramic filters work better than the black ones when silt was a factor. Apparently the black ones got clogged when filtering flood waters and couldn't be cleaned.

#16 ·
We're told our water is safe to drink, but sometimes it smells horrible and it's just wrong for water to have any smell other than clean. It's just gross, almost like a sewage smell, so we don't drink it.
We had similar results with brita that Megahammer had...they just don't last that long which prevents them from being economical and just not worth the effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.