Survivalist Forum banner

Another question about BOB

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  dontbuypotteryfromme 
#1 ·
On another board the topic came up of what to carry/stock in your BOB.

I put snares and fishing kit since it had not been mentioned before. I got nothing but laughs and gibes from others. Also many asking me how much weight I planned on carrying.

My thoughts on this was maybe your BOB is for only a few days, but as we all know best layed plans and all that. Anyway I made the statement that even though the BOB is for a short time, you can not guarantee you are going to reach your destination in that time. And never got much feed back.

Anyway would like to see what others here think.

#2 ·
Personally I think putting a fishing kit in your BOB is a pretty good idea, at least assuming you are bugging out to a place where it will come in handy. One of my possible bug out locations is on the Mississippi river, and there are tons of fish (if you consider carp a fish :p) which would be a very good food source.

Snares could be a good idea as well, its not like they are incredibly heavy or take a lot of space. I don't have any in my BOB, but i can see that it could be useful to some people.

#8 ·
BOB,,, INCH, I decide what I might need to suvive, but since I can not tell the future, as is the case with so many I have met. I can not know if it will take me three hours, three days or three weeks to reach my BOL. However I do know what I need to survive, and that was not the topic of this in the first place.

#5 ·
I have 30-40 fish hooks about 100-150 ft of line, just in my survival tin. That I
carry with me. 100's of yards of line, 300-400 hooks in my bob.

In my area fish are the easiest food to get. 24 hrs a day while I do other camp
chores. All you need are the tools to make it happen.

#7 ·
If I lived in the desert, I don't think I would include fishing equipment in my BOB.

If I lived in Wisconsin or Minnesota, where there are many lakes and streams, I'd have it in my BOB.

It all depends on what you're planning for and why. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to these things, except that you should have some water. :)

Reactions: 357revolverfan
#9 ·
I keep a couple of "fishing yo-yos" in my bag along with "speed hooks" as well as a small fishing kit. Those items can fish (and snare) for you while you do other things. Its like having someone to do the fishing for you. Its nice to find a "fryer" on the line for breakfast, fist thing in the morning. Ignore the nay-sayers!

#11 ·
Everyone's needs are different. One thing I notice a lot here is a lot of folks seem to think we're all exactly the same and live in the same region. And what works for them should work for everyone else. Just scroll past those types of posts.

I'm not in an area where I'd benefit from a fishing kit. But if I was, I'd go mostly for fishing yoyos, trotlines, small nets and such. And for animals, traps and snares. Anything that does the work for you so that you can focus your time on other necessities. Shelter building, firewood gathering, drying fish or meat, or whatever. Sitting around fishing or traipsing about hunting can sure be a time waster.

#13 ·
i put in my BOB some things that out of experience was always in my ruck sack. a small sewing kit, anbesol, water purification tablets, 550 cord.
Anbesol can numb an area on your body to be sewed up, i used a needle and dental floss to sew up a gash on my knee, learned that from working on animals on the farm.
550 cord has tons of applications, stripped down used to make snares, can be used to rappel in a pinch.
i would suggest a person put their bag on and practice travel. how to load the bag is important as well. lighter stuff like a blanket in the bottom, heaver stuff on top so when travelling the weight is over your shoulder not on your lower back. water proof everything, it'll also make your bag some what boyant.

#14 ·
As I was saying, you do not know if you will reach safety in the time you have planned. You may have a well stocked BOL to go to, but if something gets in between you and there, that three day BOB you are depending on may not last.
My point was to be preppared in that event.
The region your in dictates what you may need, but to only carry and depend on just what supplies you pack may find you in a world of hurt.

My BOB even with fishing kit, snares and a few items for traps only weighs 45 pounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.