Survivalist Forum banner

Bota Outback filter bottle versus others

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  aramchek 
#1 ·
I found a 15.00 BOTA Outback water filtration bottle at Academy Sports. I like the price but have read mixed reviews such as it being a PITA to squeeze enough fresh water out. Are there other alternatives that don't cost over, say, 30.00? I have not ruled out getting a Sawyer inline filter and developing a tubing/reservoir system similar to the Camelback/Sawyer systems I've seen. I would prefer a filter bottle as it is a ready-made sort of device.

#2 ·
Take a peek at this filter. I have one and it works nicely. Nice thing is that it can convert to camelbak, soda bottles, gravity bag and a straw. You can even adapt it for garden hoses or hot water heaters.

Comes in grey also if you don't like the blaze orange.

Pros:
50 gallon filter life.
Pre-filters inside.
Lightweight and portable
23$

Cons:
Can loose some of the conversion pieces
Bottle attachment is very tall LOL
Unknown filtration pore size.

But it is nice to keep in a quick kit.

Amazon.com: McNett Aquamira Frontier Pro Ultralight Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors

#3 ·
Take a peek at this filter. I have one and it works nicely. Nice thing is that it can convert to camelbak, soda bottles, gravity bag and a straw. You can even adapt it for garden hoses or hot water heaters.

Comes in grey also if you don't like the blaze orange.

Pros:
50 gallon filter life.
Pre-filters inside.
Lightweight and portable
23$

Cons:
Can loose some of the conversion pieces
Bottle attachment is very tall LOL
Unknown filtration pore size.
thats extremely expensive for only 50 gallons, your better off getting a berkey or sawyer filters. they have long life compared

#5 ·
I'd plan to use Potable Aqua Plus after I got through with the filter. The Red Cross says to filter the water using something like a coffee filter then boil for a minute, cool for 30m, then treat. Gee haven't you killed the bugs enough already?

Are Sawyer filters (such as the one that can be adapted to the Camelback bladder) good compared to Berkey or other brands?

I do love the Frontier Pro unit. A good hiker tends to learn not to lose things and to put them in a little zippered bag so losing parts is only so much of an issue.

#6 ·
Everything I've heard from people who've actually camped in wilderness areas and used these is that your best bet is gravity-fed filtration at camp. Monkeying around with pumps that go bad after a few uses isn't worth the time. Filter a whole bunch at camp, fill up your canteens, and you're good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.