Survivalist Forum banner
6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 ·
Let me start off by saying hello, I am new here to the forum but not to this type of living (survivalist). I came across this site and found that it fit my thoughts and beliefs about surviving/ preparing.

My question is = How long will Brita Water filters last if kept in the plastic wrappers? I keep my supply of water fresh and rotated however I thought if something major happened and that source got drained, I keep about 3-6 filter in my household at all times so I never run out of fresh water in my water pitchers for daily drinking. I just thought about buying some more to set back? That way with my children, I could possibly have something more "instant" if I have a realiable source come up and I didn't have time to boil or no tablets.

#2 ·
Everything you asked:

http://www.brita.com/support/faq/faucet-faq/

As noted, they do not provide bacterial filtration. You should (meaning must) pre-treat the water either by boiling and/or chlorine-type chemicals then use the Brita to remove the chlorine.

You should try and work up to a Berkey filter if you think that water may be an issue for you and yours. I have a Brita filter pitcher that I use for daily water needs (it works great :thumb:), but I also have a Big Berkey for if/when our tiny muni system should fail and I need to get water out of the stream down the road (flows all year round).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.