Survivalist Forum banner

Anyone store water in mylar bags?

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  goose3 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experience storing water in a mylar bag? Search didn't turn up anything, but the idea is kinda intriguing somehow :confused:

Any idea how strong they are when storing water?

Does the water taste strange after being stored?

Might be a good way to use up extra mylar bags if naught else?

#3 ·
I don't see why not, as long as they are packed in a box with not too many on top of each other or a safe place away from sharp things and kids who think the bags will make great water beds :rolleyes: The taste probably won't be too noticeable if it's there at all so you should be fine for that. But if you've got so many you don't know what to do with them you can always donate some my way ;)

#4 ·
Oh it's not a problem! If I run out of things to stuff into my mylar bags, I go buy some more real quick :D: Think I'll go try it, maybe pre-seal most of the way across, then fill, then seal the small fill area. Hmmmm.... maybe I'll do this over the sink in case it goes really really wrong lol :rain:

Edit to add pic

Ok, so here we go, it held nearly a gallon.

It looks like it's holding fine (no leaks) but there may be sweating problems??? Seems like the bottom layer was kinda damp feeling even tho I dried it off :confused:

Oh, think I should use O2 absorbers with this ? No, wait.. H2O without the O is just... H2???? :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Yes, I put away some water in Mylar bags about four months ago. I haven't opened any of it to see how its doing, but was told by some folks not to count on it lasting a long time. I can't find the thread (maybe it was on another board), but the consensus was to get rid of it after a year. I had seen Mylar pouches being sold claiming a 5 year shelf life, though, so I don't know. I'll just hang on to what I've done for a while and see if anything grows in it.

Reactions: SurvivorGirlAL
#6 ·
Yes, I do, but not the way you think.

Emergency Essentials sells mylar bladders (with a spigot) that are stored inside very heavy duty cardboard boxes. Five gallons each.

They've solved the problem of supporting the mylar w/ the boxes. I am sure you could do the same in a five-gallon bucket w/ the large mylar bags.

I would steer away from using regular mylar bags to store water--they're harder to handle (because they have no handle : ), if breached they'll spew water, and they're not as readily reusable as any kind of container made to store water (like Aquatainers).

Here's the EE link:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_KW%20S100_A_name_E_Basic%2025%20Gallon%20Boxed%20Water%20Kit

FWIW: They do what they're supposed to do. In retrospect, though, I wish I'd used that money to purchase Aquatainers (I have six of the 7-gallon ones). I can get them on sale at Farm and Fleet from time to time for about $10 each, whereas these even on sale are $6 each. The price difference for the amount of gallonage stored isn't enough to make up for the more temporary nature of cardboard and mylar, IMO.

Reactions: SurvivorGirlAL
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.