Survivalist Forum banner

Lenient counties in SE Michigan?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  crunchyconmama 
#1 ·
DH and I are looking for a couple vacant acres in SE Michigan (but at least 50 miles from Detroit) b/c unfortunately for several reasons we are stuck in this area. We'd like to live off the grid and in a lenient county. I just talked to a realtor today who said that there are a few townships in Lenawee that are "like the Wild West". So, anyway, do any of you know any other lenient townships or counties in SE Michigan? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Not sure what you mean by lenient, but there's a ton of property in Monroe county. There's some really really really small towns, but it's close to Toledo. Lenawee is close to Ann Arbor. Both of those are large cities with populations that rival Detroit now. There's also a Fermi II Nuclear powerplant in Monroe...which is a somewhat large target.

#3 ·
I remember reading a few months back about a couple who is trying to get an off grid community going. I think they might be over in Allegan county.

Did you say 50 miles because you have to be able to commute to Detroit? If you can get farther from the area I urge you to do so. 50 miles is still considered metro Detroit. We live in Oakland county (near Milford) and I think we are less than 50 miles from Fermi II.

#4 ·
Yeah, DH works in both Toledo and Detroit so we are looking west so that he can have no more than an hour to an hour and a half drive to both. We also have rentals properties in Toledo so we don't want to be too far away from Toledo so that we can continue to manage them without hiring a property management company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.