Survivalist Forum banner

Bullpup lovers? any out there?

8K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  H2OMAN 
#1 ·
I have a Edenpine 3 dig ser# later they called it a Bushmaster M-7 I like mine for a small 223 and also have a A-R handgun with 10.5 barrel by spikes and spikes lower.

#3 ·
I used to hate them, but I'm coming around. I bought an AUG A3 last fall when they got production going again, and I like it a lot.

I have a jacked-up back, and the rearward balance makes it easier for me to handle. That weight shift is only a byproduct of the short length, but it's been the best feature for me.

The trigger is heavy, but crisp. Mag changes aren't too bad with some practice. I always liked the AUG mags. Mounting a light and backup irons has been a challenge because it's so short there isn't a lot of room, but that's the price paid.

#8 ·
Yeah, I looked at the Tavor at a bullpup shoot last fall. Supposedly it was the only one in the USA at that time (the importer, Michael Kassnar had it there).

I handled it but didn't shoot it. He was letting people shoot it, but I didn't want to wait in the line. I wish now I had.

What I said about liking the AUG's rearward center of gravity: The Tavor felt slightly more rear-heavy. Not a lot; if the AUG is neutral balanced, the Tavor's cg seemed just slightly aft of that. That's a plus to me, but maybe a little too much of a good thing for some people.

The Tavor looked smaller than the AUG. It was mostly appearance because the OAL difference was perhaps an inch and a half, but it looked a lot smaller than that. Some of that could have been the color (it was FDE).
Mr K said he had to add a longer flash hider because it was about a quarter inch too short in OAL as it comes.

The bolt carrier is really short. Tall, but short, and looks a little odd, like the rear section is missing. The trigger pack looks about half the length of a Steyr. These things no doubt helped trim some length.

The smaller versions like the X95 are really neat. If we ever see those here, I'm sure they will have a long, funny looking barrel to meet OAL limits, but an SBR'd one would be very nice.

It looked and felt a little wide to me, but a tape measure may show it's just an illusion.

I didn't like the bolt stop (behind the magazine, about where an AUG mag catch is). It should be great for dropping the bolt after a mag change, but I thought it looked a little clumsy to lock the bolt open when unloading. I suppose that's a good tradeoff, but I like being able to lock the AUG open by turning the charging handle up when it's fully back. However, I only handled the Tavor for a minute, so maybe I missed a better way. Entirely possible or likely.

#9 ·
I've never had success with using bullpups, the battery of arms has never worked with me, especially with an IBA on. I respect what can be done with them -by shortening the overall length by setting the action back, but I've never been able to work around reaching into my armpit to reload. I think it's a training issue, we only used the SA80 because we had some British guys attached to our unit and it was just for fun.

#11 ·
I had a Bushmaster M17S, and it was a real piece of crap, sent it back 3 times because it failed to function after shooting a few mags through it. Also has an issue with the trigger linkage breaking twice. I sold it after it came back the third time from Bushmaster I was sick of dealing with it. Probably why I won't own another one of their products ever. In any event it was a cool idea, but was very boxy feeling. I do like the Styer AUG but not the price. I may have to look at Tavor when they hit the market in mass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.