Survivalist Forum banner

List of Home Rule towns in Cook County, Illinois, anyone?

19K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  drobs 
#1 ·
I hope I did not get anyone's hopes up, as this is a question, more than an answer.

After quite literally HOURS on the phone with various village and Cook County employees (Cops, Sheriff's dept, Prosecutors office), noone can give me a clear and distinct answer.

I live in Glenview, Illinois. It is a suburb of Cook County, Illinois, which has the notorious "Assault Weapons Ban", which bans various "evil features" such as detachable magazines. However, there are a number of villages that have home rule, making them devoid of this ban. The problem is, noone will give me a straight answer as to the situation of my town in particular. I saw somewhere out in cyberspace that we exercise home rule, but my own Police Department had no idea what I was talking about, and could not give me a straight answer.

I really want to own an AR, but don't want to be breaking any (ridiculous) gun laws. Is there anyone out there that has more/better information than I do? I'd prefer to not have to take my chances with the Cook County Prosecutors office...

~Gunnut

#3 ·
If you can't find it in your City/Village ordinances then it probably doesn't exist.
I would definitely keep trying to find information for your specific area, but it does look like Glenview is a Home Rule Community. It also looks like this was adopted for taxing purposes so the wording is very vague. Purchasing a possibly illegal firearm based on this "Rule" would be iffy at best.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNFLJDTpWNjkDaQalFBeooG98vyPFg&cad=rja

#4 ·
Sorry to tell you .... but I've never heard of any of those north burb self rules knocking down the county gun rules ........ most of them like Northfield banned all guns all together .......

I don't know what you're worried about ..... unless you do something illegal and stupid with a gun, you are ok keeping it locked in your house .......

#5 ·
The "illegal and stupid part" is even owning one according to Crook County.

Move a little further north to Wisconsin and become a citizen of America.

My wife's family all live in Cook County, I refuse to ever go up there again until I can legally carry my CCW in Illinois.

#6 ·
Legal tangle

Source: Lexis-Nexis: 2005 Ill. App. LEXIS 306,*;356 Ill. App. 3d 630;
826 N.E.2d 1171;292 Ill. Dec. 735

THE VILLAGE OF GLENVIEW, an Illinois Home Rule Municipal Corporation, Plaintiff-Appellant and Cross-Appellee, v. MICHAEL ZWICK, Defendant-Appellee and Cross-Appellant.

No. 1-03-2446

APPELLATE COURT OF ILLINOIS, FIRST DISTRICT, SECOND DIVISION...

So, yes, the Village of Glenview is a "home rule" community. That has no bearing on the "enforceability" of Cook County ordinances by local police officers.

In 2009, the Illinois Appellate Court initially ruled against the ISRA lawsuit challenging the "Assault weapons ban", finding that the Second Amendment did not extend to the states under District of Columbia v. Heller. This argument of course proved totally wrong after the Supreme Court’s decision in McDonald v. City of Chicago. Therefore, late last year, the Illinois Supreme Court vacated the Appellate Court's 2009 opinion and ordered the court to rehear the case in light of McDonald. The Illinois Appellate Court once again affirmed dismissal of Wilson's complaint and upheld the Cook County AWB. You can read the decision at Wilson v. Cook County

The "bottom line" here is that police officers have considerable latitude in using "officer discretion" when deciding how and when to apply statutes and ordinances. The problem is that many coppers do not have a very extensive knowledge of what the law actually says, and therefore will make an arrest upon what they "believe" the law to be. Defending yourself against a UUW charge could cost you $10,000 or more. A prudent person might want to store any "prohibited" weapon outside of Cook County.:mad:

As an aside and somewhat "off-topic" to your thread, since you live in the northern suburbs, you might want to check out the North Shore Old Time Skills MeetUp group to meet like-minded folks.:thumb:

#7 ·
So basically, there is no real answer because even the politicans that make these ridiculous laws can't get it straight?

I have no desire to defend myself against a weapons charge...

Thank you JJFrigle I am looking over the pdf now, but just like everything else about this law I can't get a "yes Glenview's homerule applies to firearm ownership" or "no, if you buy this and are caught with it in your home, youre goin' to jail".

The fact that my PD itself couldn't tell me what I could or could not own was disconcerting...

Right now I have a Mossberg 590a1, an old SxS Ithaca and tomorrow I am actually popping on a new Ruger 10/22 (Black synthetic, blued barrel). But I am still looking for a "battle rifle", ideally in .223 or perhaps .308. Since I have this Assault Rifle issue, I was looking at a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle just because it doesn't look quite as "scary" especially since it doesnt have a pistol grip, and has the wood stock.

But, aware of my limitations, does anyone have thoughts on a battle rifle that won't break the bank, and won't land me in the clink?

Also, thank you tortminder It is definetely something I want to look into.

#8 ·
Gunnut,

The Mini-14 is specifically named in the assault weapons ban.

(7) Shall include, but not be limited to, the assault weapons models identified as follows:
(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;
(ii) AR-10;
(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;
(iv) AR70;
(v) Calico Liberty;
(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;
(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;
(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;
(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;
(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;
(xi) Saiga;
(xii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
(xiii) SKS with detachable magazine;
(xiv) SLG 95;
(xv) SLR 95 or 96;
(xvi) Steyr AUG;
(xvii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;
(xviii) Tavor;
(xix) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or
(xx) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

I noticed on the above list is states "(xiii) SKS with detachable magazine". Does anyone know if this means that a SKS with a 10 round fixed magazine would be okay? As long as it doesn't have any of the following frightening accessories:

Assault weapon means:
(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a large capacity magazine detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(B) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(C) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(E) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;

I believe that the grenade launcher on the Yugos is considered a "muzzle brake" and wouldn't be permitted. Gotta love Cook County...

#13 ·
My story

I live in Lake County, no bans no restrictions except those described by State. Now, want to move and one of area is Glenview. I called The Village Hall and asked about any bans or restriction regarding assault weapons or more then 10 rounds in handgun magazine. The lady transferred me to Glenview Police Dpt. I spoke with a police officer and he said that there were no bans, no restrictions only those coming from The State. He said that if I choose to live in unincorporated Glenview area then those Cook County crazy bans and rules apply. I asked twice if I move from Lake County to Glenview, Cook County, do I have to obey any rules that I'm not aware now. He said NO.
Well, go figure........

#14 ·
I live in Lake County, no bans no restrictions except those described by State. Now, want to move and one of area is Glenview. I called The Village Hall and asked about any bans or restriction regarding assault weapons or more then 10 rounds in handgun magazine. The lady transferred me to Glenview Police Dpt. I spoke with a police officer and he said that there were no bans, no restrictions only those coming from The State. He said that if I choose to live in unincorporated Glenview area then those Cook County crazy bans and rules apply. I asked twice if I move from Lake County to Glenview, Cook County, do I have to obey any rules that I'm not aware now. He said NO.
Well, go figure........

the deadline for passing a local ban on assault rifles was like 6 weeks ago .... only 10-12 self rule communities statewide passed anything .... there's something like 700 self rules around the state

don't think Glenview even considered anything ..... the US naval base has a big influence locally

the various counties and self rule communities are no longer allowed to over ride any of the IL State gun laws .... all part of the new CCW law that went into effect ....

#17 ·
I grew up in Glenview. I escaped to Du Page county after college (late 90's). Then escaped to Missouri just a few years ago.

If I were you I'd move out of Glenview / Crook Country altogether. Dupage County has better laws and cheaper rent and is just on the other side of the Airport. Check out Bensonville, Wood Dale, Itasca, etc. Nicer towns not as snobbish as Glenview.

I see you're a student - get out of Illinois while you still can. Unless you're making six figures you won't be able to buy a house in Glenview. Even then the property taxes will kill you. Lot of other nicer states out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.