Survivalist Forum banner

fire starters

5K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Zorba 
#1 ·
which one, the magnisium firestarter or the swedish firesteel?
firesteel can start more fires due to more flint.
magnisium firestarter less fires but easier to start with the magnisium

#2 · (Edited)
One of each, in separate pockets. You can't have too many ways to start a fire. Use the firesteel when you have easy tinder. Use the magnesium block when there isn't any good tinder handy.

Reactions: Alibi and Josiah922
#9 ·
Yep, fire is one thing I am going to have. I have two lighters, magnesium fire starter, (thanks to survival helper) a flint striker and the knowledge of several different ways to make fire from other material.

My wife's pack has a lighter and magnesium fire starter.

#11 ·
If I remember correctly, There is a way to start a fire by mixing 2 chemicals - I think they are liquid and one may be a gel. Any info on this and where is it available? Thanks
Surely, you don't want to carry chemicals (let alone volatile ones) on your person. I think it's a lot easier and SAFER to use those other,simpler firestarters.

#12 ·
The MAG BAR is OK but if your tinder is at all decent you should not need any metal flakes, in truth I have use the metal flakes a hand full of times and every time it was just to demonstrate how to do it. The fire steel is my personal preference , the blast match is a great easy tool to use and that sometimes means fire or no fire

Reactions: AncientBrit
#15 ·
Alright, here it comes..... you ready?! Ferrocerium rod and metal anything. That's all you need, short of semi-dry kindling. I've used this for years and it gets the job done. Every time. I never cared for magnesium because the shavings go everywhere but where you want them. Carry a Bic and a ferro rod and you're good to go.
--
Splat

#19 ·
Potassium permanganate and glycerin, two parts Pot Per to one part glycerine. While at lot of places supposedly carrier Pot Per after a very long search locally I ordered some on line. Found one drug store (CVC) that carries glycerin here (in the cosmetic department.) I always carry at least half a dozen ways to light or make a fire, and I like Pot Per and glycerin 'cause it works in wet weather. I also like a lens and gun powder. Talk about instant flames in dry weather. I have nothing against matches or fire sticks, got them too, flint and and handle a bow drill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.