Never thought I would use this item... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Item to add to your BOB/GHB that you may not have thought of Gus McCrae Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 04-16-2017 02:31 PM
Plano Ammo Can (OD Green) - $4.88 (Add-on Item) slickguns.com For Sale 0 01-13-2017 02:44 PM
Plano Ammo Can (OD Green) - $4.88 (Add-on Item) slickguns.com For Sale 0 01-03-2017 03:40 PM
Stanley Pocket Knife with Rotating Blade - $2.99 (Add-on Item) slickguns.com For Sale 0 12-25-2016 02:08 PM
Crazy thought for generator power source Mountain General Discussion 66 11-29-2016 12:49 PM

Old 04-20-2017, 02:42 AM

Default Never thought I would use this item...

Advertise Here

It's been a while since I've visited. So first off - howdy everyone. Been busy the last few months and haven't had time to visit.

On topic - ever put something in your edc and think, naw, I'll never use that. And then you think about it later on and before you know it you add it anyway. And then you decide to take something out to lighten the load - since you added something - and back and forth you go. After all there is only so much room and you have to make wise decisions on these things that are practical and applicable to both your location and possible destination(s).

How many batteries do I really need? Do I really need an extra HT radio? I already have two folders, do I need a fixed blade that bad? What if the lighter runs out of butane - it's for sure I have to have a ferro rod... and on and on - you get the point.

Today I was in welding class (county college / decided I better know that skill) and all was going well. Some people in the lab were on oxyfuel cutting away this and that, some grinding, some welding. And then there was the smell of something burning. And smoke, and then panic. We have about 10 students of varying ages in class and a youngster caught fire. He had worn boots with nylon mesh and they went up pretty quick. And then onto his pants.

We put him out. He said he wasn't even aware of it until it was too late. By then he had 3rd degree burns up the back of his right calf. The skin was blistered pretty bad. But he dealt.

I thought about what I could do to help - Ice wasn't close and he had already called for someone to come get him. And then it occurred to me one of the things I had - burn cream. Never thought I would use it - ever. Lidocaine popped into my mind and then to the edc in the back of my jeep. I distinctly recall when I put it in there think - I wont use this. It's a waste of space...

Story conclusion, I performed first aid with a sterile bandage and the burn cream and we waited for his friend to pick him up.

So - have you ever NOT put something in your EDC that later you needed and wished you had?

This experience is going to make me re-evaluate my load outs...

Last edited by atomkey; 04-20-2017 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: goof
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to atomkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 2,100 Times in 879 Posts

Thanks for sharing this story, atomkey. Burn key just went on my shopping list.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Medic!

I guess you don't you need it until you need it.

We can always armchair after the fact. The point I think is, you took action and helped him out. Now the wheels are moving and you are looking to adjust just in case something goes on later like this.

Overall this is the kind of moment several will learn from.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:

Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,953 Posts

unfortunately, if he really had 3rd degree burns on his leg, they will probably have to scrub off your burn cream at the emergency room. not fun.
at least we used to when i was working in one.
The Following User Says Thank You to strvger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
unfortunately, if he really had 3rd degree burns on his leg, they will probably have to scrub off your burn cream at the emergency room. not fun.
at least we used to when i was working in one.
Yeah, where I worked, too, which is one reason I prefer a manuka honey dressing for burns--no scrubbing required at dressing change. Since the OP was describing blisters, we can hope that, in this case, it was mostly not worse than bad 2nd degree burns. At least he didn't put ice on them.

The fact that burns are something your routine first aid supplies should be prepared to deal with is still a valid point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Trapper

If he really had 3rd degree burns he wouldn't feel you scrubbing them anyway right?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,577 Times in 5,388 Posts

You are never supposed to apply burn cream to anything more than a first degree burn, just an FYI. Burn cream is a misnomer and a gimmick and does more damage than good.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,040 Times in 615 Posts

Good of you to step in and help.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,028 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
If he really had 3rd degree burns he wouldn't feel you scrubbing them anyway right?
Lol, go and get a sunburn, then scrub your burnt area well. Multiply by 100 for 2nd degree, multiply by "worst pain you ever felt" for 3rd.
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
it's the bordering tissues around the burn that are extremely inflamed and super sensitive.
for more minor burns around the house, a jar of Silvadene ointment kept in the fridge has always done well for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strvger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,487 Times in 893 Posts

When third degree burns are so bad they destroy nerves then there is no pain. High voltage electrical burns sometimes don't look too bad at first and may not be painful but the dead nerves and blood vessels that conducted the current can lead to amputation. These are extreme third degree burns and hope you never have to deal with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,227 Times in 3,541 Posts

I would say 50% of my EDC is stuff I use at least twice a week.

Another 25% is stuff I either use at least twice a month or comes in handy often enough I keep in with me.

The remaining 25% is made up of stuff I hope I never need to use; serious first aid stuff, GHB type gear, stuff to aid in surviving the effects of a disaster.

Over the years I have refined my EDC so much I don't really carry anything I don't think I will need. I mean, I carry stuff I have never used (because a disaster event never came up) but if one did I want it with me.

Good job on having something with you that helped. You might want to check why the place had no first aid kit (sounds like it didn't if you had to dip into your stuff).
Old 04-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,221 Times in 548 Posts

I carry a 6"x1" plastic tube from CountyComm full of honey. Great for both food and burns and as an antiseptic.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 8,687 Times in 2,834 Posts

I'm more surprised at the instructor apparently not making it perfectly clear what to wear in a welding shop! If there weren't clear instructions given to the students, that nimrod could sue the school.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cabinet Maker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,170 Posts

We are complacent in daily live because of the security and conveniences around us. Burn cream would be good to have, but I think caution would have been nicer.
We have to shift mental gears if we're in a shtf situation or even a remote location, a burn at a time like that could be a serious thing