Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need to start at the beginning learning ham. JBryan314 Communications 26 04-09-2017 05:58 PM
5col Gizzard Shad Gill Net, 6'x50' 5col For Sale 0 03-10-2017 03:48 PM
Slingshot Quick Draw Makery and Mischief Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 0 02-07-2017 09:27 PM
amateur radio communication for hobby or emergency Mrterryman Pennsylvania 6 01-24-2017 07:49 AM
AK Flash Hider Reccomendations Woodsman 16 Firearms General Discussion 15 01-08-2017 07:51 PM

Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 AM
Hiker

Default A quick HAM flash net

Advertise Here

well, i'm on vacation, and brought my radio with as well as a battery and superantenna.
didnt work out so well, forgot the antenna cable, so, couldnt setup when i wanted and just today got to HRO and grabbed a cable. so, found a decent spot to clamp the antenna onto the house, antenna base is maybe 8 foot in the air. hooked things up, got my connectors ready for the battery, figured i better put the meter to things and just double check, dangit, dead battery, 10 volts. so, tomorrow i will let the sun charge that all day and see how that goes, i have a 15watt panel i will hook to it in the morning. lots of sun here so it might be good enough by evening, well, i hope, otherwise i'll stop at HF and get a cheap charger, might do that anyway.
with all that out the way, i wanted to see if anyone was around that would like to do a flash net of sorts tomorrow, hopefully. i guess about 7pm central time. i'm near phoenix, doubt i'll reach very far, but who knows, the conditions might be just right, i'll probably try OMISS net for 20 meter, maybe 40, the antenna does 2-40, so, i am a bit limited, also wondering where i should sit at to get the best results, any frequency recommendations, I'm Extra Class, but would figure best to go in the tech band to get more peeps involved maybe, any thoughts
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Don View Post
well, i'm on vacation, and brought my radio with as well as a battery and superantenna.
didnt work out so well, forgot the antenna cable, so, couldnt setup when i wanted and just today got to HRO and grabbed a cable. so, found a decent spot to clamp the antenna onto the house, antenna base is maybe 8 foot in the air. hooked things up, got my connectors ready for the battery, figured i better put the meter to things and just double check, dangit, dead battery, 10 volts. so, tomorrow i will let the sun charge that all day and see how that goes, i have a 15watt panel i will hook to it in the morning. lots of sun here so it might be good enough by evening, well, i hope, otherwise i'll stop at HF and get a cheap charger, might do that anyway.
with all that out the way, i wanted to see if anyone was around that would like to do a flash net of sorts tomorrow, hopefully. i guess about 7pm central time. i'm near phoenix, doubt i'll reach very far, but who knows, the conditions might be just right, i'll probably try OMISS net for 20 meter, maybe 40, the antenna does 2-40, so, i am a bit limited, also wondering where i should sit at to get the best results, any frequency recommendations, I'm Extra Class, but would figure best to go in the tech band to get more peeps involved maybe, any thoughts
FYI for tonight.

Quote:
AmRRON 20 Meter Net TODAY!
VOICE: 2000Z 14.342 USB
Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0diak314 View Post
FYI for tonight.

I'll check on them probably, might see if omiss can hear me too
I'm near Phoenix by the way
Was hoping to talk to a member here maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:
I'll check on them probably, might see if omiss can hear me too
I'm near Phoenix by the way
Was hoping to talk to a member here maybe

Im out in PA....and my G5RV isnt up yet but if it was id be there.

Keep me in mind for a qso down the road.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Prepared

For an inexpensive 12V charger, look at the battery tender at Walmart or any auto-parts store. I purchased the Jr. size several years ago to keep my Harley battery topped off and when I was putting together a portable dual-bander, I used a gel-cell to power it, but needed a charger. Dusted off the old battery tender jr. and found it would not run the radio by itself (something about the internal electronics not liking having no battery). Once I attached a gel-cell battery to it, the radio works great and the battery tender damages neither the radio nor the battery.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewallsrus View Post
For an inexpensive 12V charger, look at the battery tender at Walmart or any auto-parts store.

Oh, I actually found the one at my daughters house that I got free at harbor freight a while back and have to her

Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Hiker

listening to omiss right now, i'll try to checkin in a few minutes, i can hear pretty much everyone so far (that has talked), which is a good sign
edit: no luck checking in
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0diak314 View Post
Im out in PA....and my G5RV isnt up yet but if it was id be there.

Keep me in mind for a qso down the road.
well, keep me in mind once you do get setup, hollar at me, that would certainly be a good distance, i'm grid cm96

i'm gonna try and figure a decent antenna to put here, as a temporary that is easy to setup when i'm here, in an HOA so cant put anything on the house. decent size backyard,no trees, I'm open to suggestions, small easy setup. unobtrusive, hopefully not noticeable by neighbors looking out their second floor windows.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:
well, keep me in mind once you do get setup, hollar at me, that would certainly be a good distance, i'm grid cm96

i'm gonna try and figure a decent antenna to put here, as a temporary that is easy to setup when i'm here, in an HOA so cant put anything on the house. decent size backyard,no trees, I'm open to suggestions, small easy setup. unobtrusive, hopefully not noticeable by neighbors looking out their second floor windows.
FN20 here.

Oh man a HOA

How about a multiband loop antenna?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Hiker

I did talk to a friend near San Francisco tonight on 40m and another friend in TX
We're thinking a dipole of sorts, along top edge of fence, 67' per leg, balun and tuner

Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:
I did talk to a friend near San Francisco tonight on 40m and another friend in TX
We're thinking a dipole of sorts, along top edge of fence, 67' per leg, balun and tuner

The G5RV is about 52 per leg...im putting it up as an inverted V on a fiberglass mast.