Survivalist Forum banner
42K views 104 replies 56 participants last post by  ForestBeekeeper 
#1 ·
OK, I have been looking for water filters; I came close to getting a Big Berkey, until I read about the problems with the filters. Then I saw the Aqua Rain Filters. Not all that sure about them they seem to be good. But from what I have read the Big Berkey’s black filter is the better. So here is the question, did Berkey FIX the problems with the filters? I have been looking at other thread's so if I missed it and this has been answered please post the link to the thread.
Thanks

#5 ·
I just don't get it. I have 3 Berkeys and never experienced any problems with the filters. I have two Big Berkey Stainless units and a smaller stainless one for travel. I keep hearing about the problems they have on this forum, but for some reason, I just haven't had any problems. I wouldn't own anything else.

#6 ·
Same here. But my Berkey's are older units. The problems only seemed to show up in the last couple years. So they've made some change to their production methods that they desperately need to undo.

Yeah - I've been put off the berkleys now as well, so I'll start looking for an alternative. . . :(
I've been in the market for some extra filters. I've been watching this situation intently, hoping that they have corrected the problem. But it appears that they still haven't.

I'm put off on Berkey too. I'm going to start looking into alternatives. If a company that supplies something that folks trust their lives to, can't be trusted to provide a safe product, then it's a company that I no longer want to do business with. Even if they fix the problem. By taking this long to do so, they show that they don't care. And to me, that makes them untrustworthy.

#9 ·
Berkey filter problem still not fixed!

My replacement filters (Black Berkey Filters) have the same problem. The carbon and base do not stay together. It is "glued" together with silicone, and the silicone does NOT keep them together. I am STILL waiting to hear from Berkey on another set of replacement filters. I would NOT purchase another Berkey black filter system until their QC is fixed!

#85 ·
My replacement filters (Black Berkey Filters) have the same problem. The carbon and base do not stay together. It is "glued" together with silicone, and the silicone does NOT keep them together. I am STILL waiting to hear from Berkey on another set of replacement filters. I would NOT purchase another Berkey black filter system until their QC is fixed!
I just noticed that my two black filters also fell apart after I tried to clean them for the first time...Im really disappointed in this company...this is NOT the first problem I had with them either. Do they stand hehind the Black filters?...mine are only a few months old and I had just noticed they had slowed down on the filtering so I decided to read up on cleaning them....Don,t want to buy new ones if this problem is Not corrected...so glad I read this thread about them cause I thought I was just to rough on them while cleaning them with the scotch-brite pad...Thanks for posting this info...im calling them tomorrow to see what they say and I will keep you guys posted....Doc 1/30/2012

#20 ·
It may be that Berkey is hoping enough people will do just that so they can avoid retooling their production methods or redesigning their products which would obviously mean time and money for them. That's worst case, but hopefully someone from Berkey will respond to this thread, or a similar one, with some more information. Otherwise, we're forced to speculate. :confused:

#13 ·
Are they made in china? I am looking for a water filter and heard good things about the berkey. The only reason I didn't buy one is because they cant sell them in California due to them not being certified for no lead. This doesn't mean they have lead, it just means they haven't paid for and gone through the process of getting them certified to sell in California.

What is another alternative?

#15 · (Edited)
I got a british made ceramic filter that is not a Berkey for $25, added in a 5 micron carbon pre filter for $12 and 2 extra ceramic filters for $3.25 all made in the UK.

Im mystified why they are so expensive in the US when the Berkey filters sold in the ME are about $25 USD retail at the supermarket and hardware stores.

Maybe it is cause everyone uses water filters and volume buying here?

To clarify, I just bought a Brit made filter the other day, I have a another Berkey already mounted on the faucet line.

#16 ·
I assume these posts about Berkey filters is meant as a heads-up to others.

Did the problem with these filters begin recently, or have they always been defective? Knowing a time frame on the manufacture of the defectives would be helpful to people who own them. I've read some of the Berkey threads over time and don't remember anybody answering this question.

#19 ·
The problem is recent. We've had threads on it starting around a year or so back, maybe a little farther. I don't know how far back the problem goes though. That was the first I had heard of it. The older models had no problems that I am aware of.

#86 ·
I just purchased mine back in Oct. of 2011 and cleaned the filters the first time last week. That is when the ends fell off and they stopped filtering my water...Im really mad cus my Berkey lite with stand was around 300 bucks ! They will be hearing from me asap ! Oh and I did see wher they have a sales post on here maybe I will pay them a visit too ....Doc

#18 ·
I bought a royal berkey two years ago , tried it out and packed it back up also. I bought 2 extra sets of the black filters.

I must have had my head in the sand , I don't know what the problem is, someone please tell me , What is the problem with them ?

#25 ·
I'm in the same boat. I bought the big s/s Berkley 3-5 years ago and never even took it out of the box yet. I best check it out before I have to depend on it. If memory serves, I recall reading something that the filter can be washed / dried and reused and I think it was a ceramic?

#27 ·
I have had a Big Berkey for a couple years now, using the black filters, and haven't had any issues.
But, I recently talked my brother into buying two extra ceramic filters for his BB ( from BerkeyGuys company) , and though I've recieved an e-mail saying the charge had gone through, I've yet to see the filters.
I just ordered a Spyderco from CuttleryShoppe this past friday IN FRIGGIN' IDAHO, and it arrived here in Georgia......TODAY !!!!!
I gave these guys my buisness specifically because they're SB memebrs, but I'm now thinking they may be a bunch of strokers. :mad:

#28 ·
Hey Mil-Dot,
Sent my filters back, still haven't received and filters back. Called today, girl said they'd call me back, didn't happen.

I liked my Big Berkey, the design, simplicity etc. If something with no moving parts lets me down after light use and maybe 100 gallons of tap water put through it I'm beginning to feel pretty let down.

Bad times are coming and this is a bit irritating.

#29 ·
I bought my Imperial Berkey in Feb this year along with another set of black filters and a set of white ones to get the fluoride out. 300 gallons have gone thru and I needed to clean it (water here is full of lime). One of the black filters broke at the base. I emailed New Millenium and they will not replace it for free because I got 9 months use out of them...they are charging 25% of new cost plus shipping. They refuse to acknowledge this is a manufacturing defect. Now I guess I have to get out the other set and see how they work. I like the Berkey, I just don't like New Millennium and from what I have been able to find out, they are the manufacturer.

#31 ·
I bought a berkey light about 4 years ago. About 6 months ago i noticed that one of my black filters failed. Heck i took it apart and figured out that the base is just siliconed to the filter element. I also noticed whatever process they are using to silicone it is not giving it an even coating and destined it to fail. Go to home depot and buy some silicone adhesive and fix it up right, this is what i did. True they should have fixed to problem by now, but 4 bucks to fix a filter is better than buying new when the ones i have are still good.

#33 ·
Berkey needs to improve their act

Katadyn Ceradyn is a comparable product. I have not had one complaint from any of my customers about them.

I was considering selling Berkey products but I felt that the manufacturer was misleading when I inquired about where their filters are made. Technically they were correct when they told me the filters are made in the US (as far as I am aware). They failed to mention that the stainless steel containers are made in India, however.

I am very curious to know what their manufacturing plant looks like. What type of workers are they using? What conditions? What type of quality control?

Until the company makes a better effort to back their products and improve the quality, I'd be very cautious about buying a Berkey.

Anyone that owns one and hasn't tested it, should do so. It sounds like having extra silicone sealant on hand would be prudent.

#36 ·
I have two boxes that contain two black filters each. One is dated 12/09 and the other is dated 03/09. My filters look more like the first pic but without the stamp.

Where the hell is the Berkey guy anyway?:cool:

ETA - The pic on the Berkey site shows a filter that looks like the first pic. AND they want $107 for 2 !!! :eek::eek::eek:
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkeytech.htm

#37 ·
Called Berkey today, talked to a real nice girl. She said she'd call me right back. That call never happened. Tired of being lied to on a daily basis .Not very good business in my book. Will call every day from now on until a giant EMP or X class solar flare puts us all back to the 1890's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.