Survivalist Forum banner

Lidocaine injectable substitute

29K views 60 replies 30 participants last post by  hanzy4200 
#1 ·
I'm trying to beef up my first aid supplies and I'd like to have injectable lidocaine for nerve blocks during field procedures.

Can't get it without a prescription.

What about Pen G. procaine? Would the procaine in the solution be sufficient to block nerves or for subcutaneous application?

#49 ·
Dentist - lidocaine mouth rinse. Works and is sterile. I used it for packing an open wound -botched hysterectomy and MRSA
Oral gel works for suture(actually done this in the field on myself)
In a shtf situation - cocaine (the needle and the spoon. ) never tried this one
Clove oil works too on bad teeth so it may work on other things- just an idea

#51 ·
NSP( the multidose saline vials) has been used as a local and direct nerve block on adults and children(not neonates),it contains benzyl alcohol that was mentioned above. It works through a different mechanism than lidocaine (has fewer side effects),and in my experience doesn's "burn" the way unbuffered lidocaine does. Not sure of the suitability of something like a Bier,just haven't seen anything on it and haven't seen it done.

As mentioned above as well injectable benadryl works well too, but if you can get the benadryl you can probably get lidocaine. Not sure how well the powder from the capsules would dissolve for injection,but a paste of the powder makes a good topical.

http://www.mountainside-medical.com...e-Injection-USP-0.9%-Bacteriostatic-30ml.html

https://www.medify.com/insights/art...esthesia-before-intravenous-cannula-insertion

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21516922

#54 ·
Got this link:

http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/lidocaine-injection-2-50ml-for-nerve-block/rxl

Claims to be 2% injectable lidocaine. Been meaning to add this to my preps. Anybody have experience with this? Is 2% even worth having? Thought I read somewhere that injections should be 10%. But, I guess it's better than nothing.

p.s. I am ignorant to legalities of purchase/ownership. However, I imagine it's legal to buy for pets. Not recommending any illegal activities.

#56 ·
Ask your friendly neighborhood dentist about this.

We use a 2% solution of Lidocaine w/ Epi 1:100,000 for nerve blocks and local infiltration for invasive procedures. It comes in 1.7 ml. carpules and is injected using a hypo designed to accomodate this particular size.

Depending on the procedure and a number of other factors, multiple carpules can be administered. I use it for soft tissue surgery, but I can not speak for it also being used as a local for placing sutures anywhere outside of the oral cavity.

#58 ·
x2 to that DocS, No fingers, toes, nose, or hose :)

I am interested in the Benzyl alcohol alternative, thanks for posting that paper.

And what is the big deal about blocks? Yes, something like an ulnar block would be difficult for an untrained individual, but digital blocks or even hand blocks are not complicated at all. If you have to do anything bigger than that, you probably need to be heading in the direction of general sedation anyways, which would be risky, but if that is the only alternative, risky is always better that dead. Granted I'd only advocate that is extreme situations, when doctors are either too far away or society has fallen apart and you aren't fortunate enough to have someone highly trained in your group.

#59 ·
I would encourage anyone with questions like the ones in this thread to sit down and speak with your primary care physician about any concerns or questions you have. They could provide you with answers and possibly direct you to medical training programs open to the public.

On that same token, I would discourage medical professionals from providing medical advice in an open forum, from practicing medicine without a license, and certainly discourage anyone from randomly injecting things into their body to see if it will numb them...it may very well numb you because it has killed tissue, and would you be able to tell the difference before you could see the difference?

If I want an opinion on a steak I ask a butcher, I don't stick my head up the back side of a cow...if I have a medical question, I don't do random things to see what the result will be, I ask a medical professional.

I would like to applaud the OP on planning ahead and asking questions that are valid and pertinent to survival medicine.

Health, life and limb are precious blessings and every effort should be made to save them...as well as prevent unnecessary harm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.