Survivalist Forum banner

dairy substitute

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dizzyfun 
#1 ·
I am slightly lactose intolerant and was wondering what would be the best non-dairy milk substitute for long-term storage? Something that I can drink as well as cook with.

#3 ·
So, I found a great replacement for milk for use in cold ceraeal or in recipes and has a pretty long shelf life.

Just use 5 teaspoons of non-dairy, powdered coffee creamer to a cup of water, and it can be a replacement for milk in recipes.:thumb:

#6 ·
Cultured dairy works well. I pour a bowl of cereal, blob some plain yogurt on, and add some jam to it, and that's breakfast.

I've made almond milk too. You soak the desired amount of almonds (raw, unsalted, unblanched) in water over night, then, with fresh water or with the soaking water, blend them up in a blender or food processor until it's creamy and looks like milk. You can add more water to thin it, but I prefer it thicker. It's more milk like. Then you can strain the almond meal out through a coffee filter, or leave it in. It's good either way. You can buy UHT (Ultra Heat Treated) almond, rice, soy, hemp, and hazelnut milks, and those have long shelf life until you open them. In my experience, the rice and hemp milks are absolutely dreadful, soy is okay, but supposedly messes with hormonal levels, the almond milk is fairly decent, and I have no idea about the hazelnut milk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.