Survivalist Forum banner

cooling vest for dogs

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tjs5701 
#1 ·
Has anybody used one? How did you recharge it in the field with notice water or freezer? I was thinking the first aid cooling packs that you can crack .

#3 ·
I think that would be counter productive. Seems to me your dog will get sunburned that way. I wouldn't think it would be all that complicated to make a cooling vest for your dog out of just a t shirt or similar and then you wet the t shirt and cool the dog through evaporation cooling.

#5 ·
Yes you can get cooling vests, although I have never used them.

Heres an example by Ruff Master:
http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/ruffwear-swamp-cooler-jacket

Fur usually does work as an insulator in some breeds, and other breeds do need their coats stripped of their undercoat. You do need to watch the tip of the ears, nose if they are white so would need suncream on those. A lot of people also forget the pads of the paws on hot pavements/ground .

I personally don't take my dog out in extreme weather and that includes heat. We get up early and take him out before the heat of the day, so nothing over about 24 degrees, and anything getting into the 28s plus he stays in the house and garden.

Dogs can get heat stroke and I have heard of dogs dieing because of it, this is especially the case in vehicles (temperatures can rise in minutes and cook your dog to death).

#6 ·
I personally don't take my dog out in extreme weather and that includes heat. We get up early and take him out before the heat of the day, so nothing over about 24 degrees, and anything getting into the 28s plus he stays in the house and garden.

Dogs can get heat stroke and I have heard of dogs dieing because of it, this is especially the case in vehicles (temperatures can rise in minutes and cook your dog to death).
Yeah my old Chocolate lab got heat stroke really bad one day. She literally just collapsed in the middle of the road. We luckily were near one of my friend's house and cool her off. I personally haven't heard of cooling vests, but definitely try to avoid taking dogs out during the "danger time" of the day, when you yourself shouldn't really be out there. If push comes to shove, and you're near a body of water, make sure you can get your dog into it, and then let them lay down in the shade. We had to do that a few times, and after a little bit, our dogs were perfectly happy, though we dropped the pace.

Also if you have a dog with a thick coat, look into getting them shaved by a groomer. Not completely shaved, but just to remove the main insulating layer of their fur, and that should also help immensely.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.